Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Result Predictions & Final Table

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I''ll give you a prediction for the PUP''s Nigel: 1-0 Arsenal (I''m afraid to say).

However I''m distancing myself from managing Rays Funds simply because I shall not be posting on this forum anymore quite soon. It''s with a heavy heart though.[/quote]

Well you will be missed Miggo. I don''t always agree with you but it''s a pleasure to debate with you.

If you look at the last 6 games for the three clubs you will see that Newcastle have 6 points, Norwich have 7 points and Sunderland have 7 points. The last result seems to govern the confidence of the fans in all cases. However Sunderland have less defeats. They have drawn more games. You could esily see them with a win, two draws and a defeat. Newcastle only have three more games. If Sunderland garner 5 points that would mean Newcastle need two wins and a draw to be above them. If we''re talking what I understand realism to be that''s probably a big ask. So that leaves us needing 6 points to stay up. As I understand realism we are unlikely to get anything at Arsenal and a point at the most against Man Utd. It''s not unrealistic to think we could beat Watford. Which would leave us needing a win at Everton on the last day. Goodison is not the worst place to go on current form or historically for us. Even Bassong has scored there.....

Realism??

Mrs Miggins "I shall not be posting on his forum anymore quite soon"

That''s sad news, you''re one of the best posters on here.

[quote user="morty"]

Depends if your cup''s half empty, or half full.I know which way I''d rather live my life.[/quote]

For every Truman Burbank there''ll always be a Victor Meldrew. [;)]There''s no right or wrong way to look at life and that''s what makes it so interesting.

Cheers Vanwink.

I think I''ve fallen out with everyone and they''ve fallen out with me on this forum, including you I''m sure (in fact I know because I remember), but it always comes back round and I end up really liking them. The other one that really stands out is Jenkins; great poster, but bl00dy hell we used to have some ''debates'' :)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I''ll give you a prediction for the PUP''s Nigel: 1-0 Arsenal (I''m afraid to say).

However I''m distancing myself from managing Rays Funds simply because I shall not be posting on this forum anymore quite soon. It''s with a heavy heart though.[/quote]I would rather you stay. I would miss you. Not in a gay way or anything, mind.

Can''t say i''m too confident. Hopefully the players can get motivated by a bit of siege mentality.

Seems the neutral fans a) don''t like Norwich and b) have written us off. The reality is that we''re just goal difference away from the promised land of 17th and it isn''t over even if it does look bleak. It does seem that we''ve likely blown our main chance of staying up by screwing up against Palace and Sunderland though.

There are no easy games in the premiership (bar Villa!), so everyone seeing 3 pts vs Watford or Sunderland beating Stoke, neither are a given. The only game i''d say is 3 points guaranteed is Newcastle vs Villa. That leaves them 2 games left and only 2 points above.

As for us, I think we''ll do well to get 4 points and I don''t think that''ll be enough. If we can somehow squeeze 7 points out, we might just survive. It''d be a great feeling to stick it to the neutrals who seem to have an irrational hatred of our club.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]...I shall not be posting on this forum anymore quite soon.[/quote]Are you off in search of Lakey miggo? [:^)]

Mrs

"I think I''ve fallen out with everyone and they''ve fallen out with me on this forum, including you I''m sure (in fact I know because I remember), but it always comes back round and I end up really liking them. The other one that really stands out is Jenkins: great poster, but bl00dy hell we used to have some "debates" :)

This is not the sort of news I want to hear on a Monday morning Mrs. Miggins. I hope you change your mind but I''m sure you have good reasons for retiring, I don''t post much any more to be honest but still look at what''s going on from time to time. You''ll have to start a farewell thread so that we can all say goodbye when you do finish. One day I hope you will come to appreciate what an "excellent " manager Neil Adams really is!😄😄

I think most neutrals would say Sunderland clearly have the edge with their last two results and being ahead on goal difference, but it still could go any of 3 ways.  Newcastle have clearly improved since we beat them but only have 3 games left (albeit arguably easier fixtures).  We had the chance to move out of the danger zone if we could have just avoided defeat in the last 2 games and having blown that the momentum is clearly against us, but the margins are incredibly tight so given that we''re equal on points with Sunderland, it''s far too early to write us off.

[quote user="AmericanNorwichFan"]RDS7, I never said you weren''t entitled to an opinion, I just want to know why you have predicted us to lose to Everton 2-0 even though they have been atrocious at home, are injury hit, and in wretched form?[/quote]

Don''t you know by now? We end teams poor runs mate. Just look at Palace.

My take on realism comes up with:

Arsenal - L 2-0

Man U - L 2-0

Watford - W 2-1

Everton -W 2-1

I think that would be enough. The fact that both Watford and Everton lost their semi-finals means they are well and truly at seasons end. These are just sort of games we need at this time (remember Man City away a couple of years ago?).

The other two are not world beaters but are giving it their all at the moment. We need to match that right to the end, even if we lose the next two.

There is certainly no reason why we can''t take another 6 points, and had we still had Klose I think everyone would be far more confident. Being realistic though, we are where we are because we don''t win enough games. Predicting that our season will continue in that vain is hardly being pessimistic, it''s realism based on the facts of how the season has gone. I will be happy to see the fight in our team that Sunderland and Newcastle have produced the last couple of games. If they give it everything they have but come up short then so be it.

My realism includes Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle carrying on in the same vein as their last six fixtures. What is realistic about assuming only Norwich fail to do that?

A gut feeling based on a warped view of history by stating Norwich always let us down is not realism. Otherwise we wouldn''t have been promoted.

The actual reality has yet to happen and nobody has the right to claim they know it.

Norwich
Arsenal (A) L 3-1
Man Utd (H) L 1-2
Watford (H) W 2-0
Everton (A) D 1-1
35pts
Sunderland
Stoke (A) D 2-2
Chelsea (H) D 1-1
Everton (H) W 2-1
Watford (A) L 2-0
36pts
Newcastle
Crystal Palace (H) D 1-1
Aston Villa (A) W 0-3
Tottenham (H) L 4-0
34 pts

What your realism fails to note Nigel is the loss of Klose and more difficult fixtures that we are now facing!

From

West brom, Newcastle, Palace and Sunderland

To

Arsenal, United, Watford and Everton

In fact, each of the coming 4 teams sit higher in the table than the previous 4...and the only points we picked up in those previous 4 games was when we had Klose..

This is why tagging so called realism to personal opinions is ridiculous. This so called realism is just an extension of opinion. You stating "my realism" just proves the futility of creating an "us and them" split of fans based on what is no more than opinion.

I posted the definition of realism earlier in this thread. Does that definition apply to any poster more than me or indeed me more than any poster?

All I''m pointing out if that your idea of realistic viewpoint takes no consideration into the fact that Klose is now injured and we are facing a more difficult set of fixtures. Unfortunately it''s not as black and white as that and I think these factors are definitely things that should be overlooked.

Or do you disagree?

It''s about looking at the situation from a neutral point of view and weighing in other possible contributing factors, unfortunately when I look at our situation this way it doesn''t look too good! That will not stop me hoping and of course we still have a chance but it certainly doesn''t make me a misery! Which you''ve labelled many in previous threads..

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

....A gut feeling based on a warped view of history by stating Norwich always let us down is not realism. Otherwise we wouldn''t have been promoted..... [/quote]No, Norwich don''t always let us down. In fact they''re rather good at gaining promotion.The problem here is that facing relegation their track record is decidedly flaky. To put it kindly.

Well of course there can be different views on realism just like there are differing opinions on this board about just about anything, what''s your point?

My point was to simply note the flaws in your supposed realistic theory for why we are likely to stay up, which I don''t think should simply be ignored as you have done.

Whilst there are obviously going to be varying opinions across the board on realism and what should and shouldn''t be accounted for, the Klose injury and the increased difficulty in opposition are two components that would be widely accepted as contributing factors towards how many points we can expect to pick up in our subsequent fixtures...IMO.

Or are you still happy with your ''maintain-the-same-level-of-form'' theory which ignores these factors?

Without Klose we now have to base our opinion of how it''s going to go on the displays by the team with a center back pairing of 2 from Martin, Bennett and Bassong. I''m sure everyone would be in agreement that because of this the task becomes harder. After watching the toothless Arsenal display yesterday then with Klose I would be saying I think we could go there and get a point. Without him I just can''t see it, hopefully I''m wrong. There is also no reason at all to believe that Sunderlands and Newcastles form is suddenly going to improve over the next few games, like us they are there for the same reason. What I do find very concerning though is that Sunderland seem to have raised their game and we must match that. There can be no rolling over and waving the white flag against Arsenal. It''s going to be very close but I''m hopeful that we will find ourselves in a position where a win against Everton will keep us up.

Well once again you back up my POV that to tag realism onto an opinion of the unknown is arrogance. I don''t disagree with any points you make but would add that the things you factor in do not make your opinion any more realastic than another opinion. For instance you could factor in that we picked 4/6 points from arsenal and Man Utd without Klose.

The thing is that I am a happy clapper others are miserable whingers. Realism supports neither group.

nutty nigel wrote: "The thing is that I am a happy clapper, others are miserable whingers. Realism supports neither group."Nutty is right. The true realist understands that, as the authors of The Numbers Game

put it (pages 62-63), "Football, both scoring goals and favourites

winning, is a 50/50 proposition. The game you see this weekend 

.................  might as well be decided by the flip of a coin".

Given which, neither optimism or pessimism is justified and the true realist

will just shrug his shoulders, enjoy his pint, and wait to see what

happens. Beer [B]

Lol! To suggest the outcome of this weekends game might as well be decided on a flip of a coin is quite frankly the most unrealistic comment in the thread! There is no way you could ever say that the odds of a Norwich win are equal to an Arsenal win and the bookies odds will be nowhere near close. With comments like that I''m amazed the book got published!!

The bookies odds change after each round of fixtures like our confidence does. It would be interesting to know how the odds changed between our win over Newcastle and defeat to Sunderland. The bookies know it would be unrealistic to quote the relegation odds they would offer before the last round of fixtures now. If their odds reflected reality they could do that with no worries.