Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

AN comments

“There have been brief discussions. I’ll have more tomorrow but it looks likely I will be here next season,” said Neil. “I still have a few discussions to be had. It is a big job because we have a number of players who have been here for a number of years for a start. We have got a team that is getting older. A lot of players 27, 28 and above. It is whether we deem we need to freshen it up and how much and if we have got resources available to us to do that.

“I think we have the basis of a squad because I don’t think you can have that much churn between two seasons but there might be some changes in the summer and it depends on what we can and can’t get done. I think we have got a lot of decisions to make. There is going to be a lot of discussions over these next few days. Then we’ll see who is coming with us.”

Sounds like AN has an idea of the level of clearout he wants, and a clear indication he wants to freshen things up (plus an indication he''s staying-another departure is way too much of a gamble in the managerial department)

Let''s hope the Board has learned some lessons and will support AN''s vision. Not a great season, but we have to give the guy who got us up another chance. He''s an up and coming manager. He''s learning

If he gets the backing he wants, I would trust him to sort the squad out and for us to tear into the Championship next season.
Bring it on.

Interesting comments for sure. I wouldn''t say our squad is any older than other teams around us but maybe AN has a different view on what our future should be

I still have concerns about recruitment, considering it was AN who signed the likes of Naismith, Jarvis, Dorrans and Mulumbu who are all approaching thirty.Who knows, maybe they''ll flourish in the mediocrity of the Championship?

It seems he is in a bit of a dilemma in so much that he is unsure whether we have the resources available for a large scale clear out (which IMO we need), or having to make do with a large proportion of this years squad. It seems the latter.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]It seems he is in a bit of a dilemma in so much that he is unsure whether we have the resources available for a large scale clear out (which IMO we need), or having to make do with a large proportion of this years squad. It seems the latter.[/quote]We all know that we''ll never have the necessary resources while the present ownership is in place.

OR, agreed, it is for that very reason we now find our beloved team in the Championship yet again!

I''d trust AN to get a promotion winning squad together, probably much more than building a squad to survive in the Premier League, even if he had millions at his disposal.

It''s a valid concern Pyro Pete makes - Alex''s signings have not been good so far.

This is the crucial point OldRobert. We really do need to have some positive statement of intent from the board. Where do they think they have gone wrong and what is their vision in the short and long term.

The owners simply have a terrible record of appointments. The appointment of Bowkett and McNally had little to do with their talent spotting.

If the board do have a reality check then Alex Neal may have a chance. I think that our manager''s character is one of his strengths and I trust that, if he doesn''t get 100% total support, he would walk away.

It would appear we have far too many ''yes men'' on the board and that is very dangerous for any business.

We all mistakes in business and in life but I find it hard to recall when the owners have admitted when they have. I''m sure I will get examples soon enough through the magic of this message board

We really do have a lot of deadwood that needs shipping out , we need almost a complete new team and when you look at Neils signings to date you really have to ask is he the right man to give the money too . Mess it up and we will be Championship for years to come .As Darren Eadie said the other night i do really think most City fans view Alex Neil through green and yellow Wembley glasses .

I think it would be a huge mistake to think we will or should have ''almost a complete new team'' - that won''t happen and nor should it. We will clearly need some strengthening/freshening up, as always, but as far as the Championship is concerned we have plenty of good quality players, including several who will be returning from loan, and few are so old as to be past it.

I do agree with others in that Neil himself has been largely buying-in players in the age group he mentions, which is slightly odd for him to pick out: there''s nothing necessarily the matter with that age group, and some of our better performers this season were in the even older bracket (GO''N, Wes)!

You do want continuity and to keep (cliche) "the spine" relatively intact, and I would hope we could do this with
        Ruddy/Rudd
       Martin   Klose (optimistic?)
        O''Neil   Howson (optimistic?)
          Hoolahan
             Jerome
All plenty good enough for Championship top 6.  Martin may revert to Right Back, which would be fine with me.  He is a model pro, a good example for our youth, and easily good enough for the Champs at CB.
We then end up looking for four first choices and a load of alternatives, of which we may already have some in the squad.  I would hope Brady and Jarvis also stay which gives us good first choice width alongside the Murphy brothers.  We have Maddison as the "new" Wes.  Toffolo may be ready to step up at Championship level.
Naismith can sling his hook, and I''m gutted to say that as I thought he would save our season but it just hasn''t worked out.
If we do sell Redmond, as seems likely, that would get us funds for two decent players straight away.  We need to strengthen our striking options with Hooper gone, Grabban gone, Mbokani off home (I would imagine) and therefore we need at least two strikers in.
So the makeover for the squad or first team isn''t *that* radical really.

I wouldn''t have mentioned specific ages tbh. In one way, that looks like he could be putting together a team of early/mid twenties guys. That is all well and good if he has his targets already set up, which is highly unlikely of course, but we need to get back up asap and experience, in the right areas (ALL I would suggest!), could be the vital ingredient, so perhaps he should have been a bit more cliched, playing with a straight bat

What makes people think we have a promotion squad ? they only managed the play offs last time with the help of a managerial sacking and they are all a bit older and less enthusiastic now . Also there has been a lot of big money spent in the Championship the last couple of years and the likes of Derby , Sheff Weds etc have squads very much the equal of ours .Players like Russell Martin and Cameron Jerome and quite a few others  must go they offer nothing at all if we hope to move on .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]What makes people think we have a promotion squad ? they only managed the play offs last time with the help of a managerial sacking and they are all a bit older and less enthusiastic now .[/quote]
Two seasons ago Cameron Jerome scored 21 goals in the Championship and was 3rd in PoTS.  He is an excellent striker at this level.
Under Alex Neil, this squad managed P25 W17 D4 L4 in the Championship, exceptional by any standard.
Derby are gash.
Your trolling is weak.

I think AN is talking sense,  in the Championship we will be playing Saturday, Tuesday and again Saturday. are our older players going to handle it and play at a high tempo ?

What Alex does in the next 2 or 3 months is as important as what he got done in last years close season, and hopefully will be more successful. Seen some posts on this forum  thinking 12-14 players can go, other posts saying stick to the majority, no point letting to many go. Hazard a guess that the truth will likely be between those extremes with maybe 4 to 7 leaving, with maybe 4 or 5 new ones coming in.Will not even try to guess at this stage who will go and who will join, because of that will reserve my opinions as to how City will  do in the new season until late July / early August when we have a better idea what our squad will be.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"][quote user="CanaryOne"]What makes people think we have a promotion squad ? they only managed the play offs last time with the help of a managerial sacking and they are all a bit older and less enthusiastic now .[/quote]
Two seasons ago Cameron Jerome scored 21 goals in the Championship and was 3rd in PoTS.  He is an excellent striker at this level.
Under Alex Neil, this squad managed P25 W17 D4 L4 in the Championship, exceptional by any standard.
Derby are gash.
Your trolling is weak.
[/quote] 21 goals wow , you must rate Binner Murphy a world beater then he got near on 30 in a much weaker squad , as for Martin his normal poor performances were what resulted in Bassong being recalled from Watford . They were poor 21 seasons ago we need better now or we wont come close to promotion .As for trolling no that would be you , its all you come on the messageboard for .

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]How can you tell if a player is less enthusiastic you binner[/quote]Grow up you sound like a 5 year old girl .

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]You do want continuity and to keep (cliche) "the spine" relatively intact, and I would hope we could do this with
        Ruddy/Rudd
       Martin   Klose (optimistic?)
        O''Neil   Howson (optimistic?)
          Hoolahan
             Jerome
All plenty good enough for Championship top 6.  Martin may revert to Right Back, which would be fine with me.  He is a model pro, a good example for our youth, and easily good enough for the Champs at CB.
We then end up looking for four first choices and a load of alternatives, of which we may already have some in the squad.  I would hope Brady and Jarvis also stay which gives us good first choice width alongside the Murphy brothers.  We have Maddison as the "new" Wes.  Toffolo may be ready to step up at Championship level.
Naismith can sling his hook, and I''m gutted to say that as I thought he would save our season but it just hasn''t worked out.
If we do sell Redmond, as seems likely, that would get us funds for two decent players straight away.  We need to strengthen our striking options with Hooper gone, Grabban gone, Mbokani off home (I would imagine) and therefore we need at least two strikers in.
So the makeover for the squad or first team isn''t *that* radical really.
[/quote]

That team is mid table at best. Need a major overhaul. Jerome is a spent force.

I think it''s more the core of the team.

Ruddy has been out of sorts most of the year. Martin at CB is far too easily exploitable but has probably started the most games there. O''Neil IMHO flatters to deceive. Jerome unfortunately has a game based around being half a yard quicker, which doesn''t work so well against defenders who are as fast/ quicker than him.

We have parts here and there that will come good in the right circumstances. Pinto, R Bennett, Redmond, maybe some of the young boys.

Either way it''s a huge pre-season for us and I think Neil should get the benefit of the doubt- for now.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]I still have concerns about recruitment, considering it was AN who signed the likes of Naismith, Jarvis, Dorrans and Mulumbu who are all approaching thirty.Who knows, maybe they''ll flourish in the mediocrity of the Championship? [/quote]It was a gamble in that sense. We got a load more money from promotion, but AN is now talking about age and freshening it up, with constraints of budget and not being able to change too many players.I think we''d have been better starting the job earlier ie going up, grabbing the money and integrating younger players whilst in the top league. We could have even started doing this post relegation under Adams, but we spent on the likes of Cuellar and Dorrans instead.This kind of forward planning should be directed from the top, but is seems that ''achieve promotion'' and ''stay in the Premier League'' form the bulk of our strategy.

It''s not so much the age of the players that is a concern for me, but that many of the first team have been up and down several times now, and I wonder how much fight they really have left in them.
The Championship is a tough competitive league and although I think we are well positioned to challenge for promotion next season, it''s not going to be easy. We''ll need an experienced strong squad, yes, but we''ll also need players with determination and bottle who can dig out results game after a game over a long hard season.
When I look back at the performances this season there have been some players who too often have been happy to go through the motions and that''s been reflected in some key games where the team has crumbled when it mattered most. That was a problem last season too to a lesser extent and I think it''s time that some of these long serving players move on.
I''m not advocating a total clear-out and I don''t think playing a squad full of youngsters is the answer, but we need new blood and not just to improve the quality of the squad, but also the heart and the guts.