Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Eddie

An anxious wait

We are, there can be no doubt, now living in interesting times. What will happen in the next week to 26 days? Why do I choose this time span? Allow me to explain:

I have a sneaky suspicion we will beat Shef Wed on Sat, giving Worthy a lifeline, then win/lose/draw against Cardiff and it doesn''t matter, it will not be the decision maker. However in the next game, away to Wolves, I see us struggling, perhaps another loss, thus prolongling the uncertainty into the international break which lasts until the 19th Nov (a revenge encounter with Luton).

So then, I think a loss against Shef Wed in front of a 25,000 strong yellow and green army will prove the straw that breaks the camels back and Worthy will be shown the door. However if we win it I think we face another 2-3 weeks before any decision is made, perhaps longer if we pick up any points at all from Cardiff and Wolves (both away games).

The magnitude of Saturday I don''t think can be overstated. Lose it and we could see the end of an era, and who knows what will follow? Win it and I''ll have finished my Christmas shopping before I''ll have stopped worrying about whether we can turn what must now have become the longest corner in the world.

I posted comments around the time of the Plymouth/Northampton victories that what concerned me was that a few better results would be followed by a poor run, followed by a couple of wins, followed by.........you get my drift. City would languish somewhere in mid-table, Worthy could continue to cite injuries, individual mistakes, no cash to spend etc and the board would not act. Come January players would either leave (Ashton, Huckerby, Green, Shackell, Safri)or not return (Davenport, Marney).

So far Crazy Eddie, I am being proved right although I would much rather be totally wrong and misguided.