Sign in to follow this  
daly

Andrew Surman

Seems strange when with us always seemed to be struggling with injuries. With Bournemouth played every game and seemingly covered 278 miles throughout the season.

Mulumbo to Witherspoons and back

when he started for us in the first prem season he was usually the one covering most ground too; great grafter with sound positional sense and good user of the ball. Perhaps one disposed of too quickly and certainly at prem level

Never wanted him to go. Good footballer. Him, Howson and Tettey would have been some midfield.

I thought he was a talented footballer who always looked lacking in confidence during his time with us, which got much worse when we were promoted.  If he had time on the ball, he''d struggle to find the right thing to do.  If he had a split second, sometimes he''d do something quite good, but that just wasn''t often enough.  Without the ball, he wasn''t much use as a midfielder - you''d never bet on Surman to win a 50/50 against anyone.

It was no surprise to me that we let him go, but also it''s understandable that he could find another setup more conducive.

As for comparisons with Wes, who''s consistently been our most creative player since we''ve been in L1, well....

Surman was a cultured footballer we should have retained. One that got away. Another was Danny Ayala who would have strengthened our defence

Surman came from the south coast, and wanted to move back to the south coast for family reasons. We had other players that could play his positions, and he arguably wasn''t first choice.

No regrets with his leaving.

He didn''t suit our style of play whereas at Bournemouth he does.

If we were still playing in the PL we wouldn''t want him in the starting 11 as he would be just as ineffective as he always was with us in the PL.

Suits Bournemouth, not us.

I remember him being labelled as lightweight, but wasn''t he also labelled as slow?

I also seem to recall it being discussed quite a few, just where do you play him?

A classic pass and move footballer always moving into space to receive a pass and makes his team mates look that much better as they always have an option. But i guess alot of fans were just too stupid to see it unless a players charging around diving into tackles.

Massively underrated when playing for us, and was sad to see him go. A very accomplished player as he has shown for Bournemouth, but I guess he just didn''t fit into our system, or something like that

[quote user="Buh"]Gotta laugh at "witherspoons"

Piper Norfolk-ism that![/quote]

Buh I must be pixxed on Witherspoons or Wetherspoons cheap beer but I appreciate your correcting me

Have a good night

Or for Ayala and Surman now