Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Promotion means we need to find about 50 goals from somewhere

I have some optimism that we will be able to mount a promotion challenge in the coming season but the squad that we have been relegated with significantly lacks the firepower from the one that started the promotion season. It is probable that Redmond will move and of course this time around we have no Grabben,Johnson or Hooper. Much has been said and written about these four players but together they contributed about 50 goals between them when we got promoted plus Jerome''s contributions. We have one recognized striker and no midfielders at the moment who can contribute more than a handful of goals.

This is the stark reality of where we are and where we need to be in a few months time. the impact of this loss of goals could be reduced by a better performance in defense and possibly by some of our young talent coming off. Even with that we really need a couple more strikers who can top 20 a season each and more goals from midfield. I feel we have the cash to do this but need to concentrate it on these key areas rather than spreading it across to board on 6 to 8 players if there was to be a wholesale clearout

Well, last time we went down we brought in Jerome, Grabban and Lafferty. Two of those did the job required -though to be fair to Kyle, he did mostly play left midfield.

No reason why we can''t spend again this summer and bring in a couple of goalscorers at this level.

Well you''ve very quickly forgot that we are skint and are about to sell all of our players.

What goalscorers though ? people like Gray , Rhodes ,Ofobe all got their moves and will be playing Prem football next season . Apart from a grossly overpriced ageing McCormack can anybody actually name these Championship sharpshooters who gaurantee the goals needed for promotion .We really should of kept Hooper , at least we still have the woeful Jerome on the books and he apparently benefits from the bigger goals in the Champs .

New Striker e.g McCormack or Assobalonga- 22 goals at least

Jerome 12 goals

Redmond 6 goals

Brady 6 goals

Hoolahan 5 goals

Howson 8 goals

=59 goals

based roughly on last time players were in the championship. If/When we sign a top champ striker I imagine Jerome will get quite a few less than the 18 he got last time as he''ll play less, yet on the other hand a player like McCormack will likely score more than the 22 goals he got this year as he''ll be in a much better team (no offence to Fulham).

We''re easily better off than last time we went down - our strikeforce at the start of the season was basically Hooper wasn''t it ?  I remember going to the Wolves game and we''d just got Lafferty and he came on as a sub, and I remember being worried that we were still very light up front.  Johnson developed into a midfielder who could score goals that season, before it started when he shot at goal, it was more of a worry for the spectators than the goalie.

Jerome is an excellent Champ striker so we''re way better off than at this stage last time (we had no one near him then).  Grabban was a decent signing although his performances were patchy (but we must remember those goals against the scum) but of course we hadn''t signed him at this stage.  If we get another quality Champ level striker in, that''s a key signing to strengthen the squad for the promotion push, but let''s not re-write history.

With the crazy price tags knocking about for the likes of mccormack it probably makes more sense to just pay Mbokani a bucket load per week.

That''s of course if he fancies staying....

[quote user="6088m canary"]With the crazy price tags knocking about for the likes of mccormack it probably makes more sense to just pay Mbokani a bucket load per week.

That''s of course if he fancies staying....[/quote]I would love it if he stayed, would score loads in the Champs.

Any Premier league cast offs we could get that could turn in a few? Not Steven Fletcher

Hooper, Grabban, and Johnson didn''t chip in "about 50 goals" or even remotely close the season we got promoted, champ.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]What goalscorers though ? people like Gray , Rhodes ,Ofobe all got their moves and will be playing Prem football next season . Apart from a grossly overpriced ageing McCormack can anybody actually name these Championship sharpshooters who gaurantee the goals needed for promotion .We really should of kept Hooper , at least we still have the woeful Jerome on the books and he apparently benefits from the bigger goals in the Champs . [/quote]

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA :breath: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH WOOOOOOO!

Feck me Jaemae, you must have fallen out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.

[quote user="STFU"]Feck me Jaemae, you must have fallen out of the Stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.[/quote]

There there, it will be ok it will be OK :tussleshair: (tip, you may never want to talk about someone else''s intelligence, it won''t go well for you)

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]See it''s not just me thinks you''re similar to two planks young Jaemae.[/quote]

Pretty sure you don''t "think" anything beyond the most basic of thoughts, so try again, champ. It''s not surprising that very very slow folk think the same thing.

Have you heard the one about the boy in the parade Jaemae? His mum said to the lady next to her, "look at that, my boy is the only one marching in step"

[quote user="STFU"]Oh, good reply Jaemae, really told him huh?[/quote]

There there it will be ok, it will be ok :tussleshair:

Ooh, that''s not so good, starting to repeat yourself now Jaemae. How about coming up with a new catchphrase?

just trying to keep it as simple as I can for you, as you really really struggle keeping up.

No, you''ve definitely lost it now. Gotta go, but it''s been real. Here''s a tip for you, don''t answer the phone when you''re doing the ironing.

[quote user="jaemae2"]just trying to keep it as simple as I can for you, as you really really struggle keeping up.[/quote]

And you probably needed your parents help trying to write that one line sentence!

Try not to lambast every person on here jaemy. We all want to share our opinions. Yous aren''t the only ones! And they aren''t great either

[quote user="Samwam27"][quote user="jaemae2"]just trying to keep it as simple as I can for you, as you really really struggle keeping up.[/quote]

And you probably needed your parents help trying to write that one line sentence!

Try not to lambast every person on here jaemy. We all want to share our opinions. Yous aren''t the only ones! And they aren''t great either[/quote]

It''s not every person, champ.

IMO McCormack is the one to go for. I know he''s 29, but he''s guaranteed to get us goals.

Look at what Defoe did for Sunderland, and worth their investment. To me we need a quality striker at this level. Mccormack is that!

As a weirder alternative what about Crouchy again! Much cheaper (well I assume) but would still be a handful