Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Play offs

Another cracking game tonight to go with that of last night.

Brighton on last night''s showing, Hull on the week-end''s showing and Derby tonight would have surely given our own lot a game to remember.

Pertinent factor which is related to the other thread about next season''s top six.

It very much depends on who we can hang onto and who we can replace for better in the Summer''s dealings.

Both our youth academy lads, Martin and Shackell are playing well enough to suggest that we could have done with them last season, particularly CM who is looking the complete package. Both of them are big, powerful units who look as if they might (now) be well suited to the higher level. ten minutes left for them to get that chance.

I note bene that neither Butterfield nor Johnson are starters, and Derby seem all the better for leaving the latter on the bench.

Snoddy doesn''t look quite the influential player that he was with us, but he''s been ok and will likely succeed in the Premier League again.

Overall, it would seem better for our chances to get Derby out of the contest, but Hull are closing in on a Wembley appearance by the looks of it.

Tom Ince doesn''t look a patch on Nathan Redmond and I had once thought him to be the next big thing. All the talk about Redmond inevitably leaving doesn''t really please me as it will likely transpire. The only consolation for me would be the big fee we should get, especially if a few teams seek him. Our chances of success next season would, IMO, diminish that little bit should we lose him.

Two great games and a tremendous amount of skill, effort, passion & desire. In fact, everything that''s been lacking from us for an awful lot of the season.In all honesty with our current squad I think we would struggle against all 4 of those teams.Going straight back up, or even getting to the play offs, is not going to be easy.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Surely you are wrong about Derby , Katie Borkins told me they are utter garbage . [/quote]

Well, they failed in the playoffs and froze at home when they needed a big performance.

Maybe you should make your own mind up instead of believing what others say.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Didn''t you also say Pinto shouldn''t play for us?[/quote]It was Katie Borkins who dissed Pinto more often than not.

"Didn''t you also say Pinto shouldn''t play for us, or was that another poster Broadstairs?"

A. N. Other, but, like many, I didn''t particularly rate him at first and considered the signing a bit pointless.

Don''t get the connection though.

I''m suggesting your judgement on players isn''t very good, especially as you say Chris Martin and Shackell would''ve been useful. I remember when they were here, I also remember the first leg a few days ago when they were absolute $hite. Agree with you on Ince though; he looks far to worried about how he looks than actually trying to get into the game.

"I''m suggesting your judgement on players isn''t very good."

I''m replying by asking ''who''s is?''

I''ve watched quite a bit of Championship football this season and therefore quite a lot of Derby games. Martin, in particular, has had a very good season.

Suggesting that we could have done with both of them last season is hardly going over the top, especially when considering our eventual fate.

It is also not beyond the realms of credibility that both players could have come on a lot since their days at Carrow Road, which were some time ago now.

I note that Derby County are now likely to get some sort of transfer market embargo next season for flouting FFP rules.

This would likely make them less of a threat next season so perhaps the eventual outcome suits.

They may also have to sell their best for funding in order to balance expenditure out (their wages bill being very high for example.)

Hughes anybody? .... or even Chris Martin!

On their day Derby can play some fabulous football and a match for anyone in the Champs, but just cannot keep it up enough it seems to get into auto promotion spot. All 4 play off teams had their moments, but the reality is all of them would likely struggle in the Prem. Of this seasons Champs teams, only think Boro may have what it takes to survive next year. Watford and Bournemouth did well to stay up this season in the Prem, but may well find it tougher  next season.I think next season the 3 bottom positions will be filled with any 3 from Burnley, Middlesboro, Watford, Bournemouth and Hull or Wednesday. Just cant see 2 established  clubs like Villa and Newcastle this season going down  next time.

[quote user="Essjayess"]On their day Derby can play some fabulous football and a match for anyone in the Champs, but just cannot keep it up enough it seems to get into auto promotion spot. All 4 play off teams had their moments, but the reality is all of them would likely struggle in the Prem. Of this seasons Champs teams, only think Boro may have what it takes to survive next year. Watford and Bournemouth did well to stay up this season in the Prem, but may well find it tougher  next season.I think next season the 3 bottom positions will be filled with any 3 from Burnley, Middlesboro, Watford, Bournemouth and Hull or Wednesday. Just cant see 2 established  clubs like Villa and Newcastle this season going down  next time.[/quote]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Another cracking game tonight to go with that of last night.

Brighton on last night''s showing, Hull on the week-end''s showing and Derby tonight would have surely given our own lot a game to remember.

Pertinent factor which is related to the other thread about next season''s top six.

It very much depends on who we can hang onto and who we can replace for better in the Summer''s dealings.

Both our youth academy lads, Martin and Shackell are playing well enough to suggest that we could have done with them last season, particularly CM who is looking the complete package. Both of them are big, powerful units who look as if they might (now) be well suited to the higher level. ten minutes left for them to get that chance.

I note bene that neither Butterfield nor Johnson are starters, and Derby seem all the better for leaving the latter on the bench.

Snoddy doesn''t look quite the influential player that he was with us, but he''s been ok and will likely succeed in the Premier League again.

Overall, it would seem better for our chances to get Derby out of the contest, but Hull are closing in on a Wembley appearance by the looks of it.

Tom Ince doesn''t look a patch on Nathan Redmond and I had once thought him to be the next big thing. All the talk about Redmond inevitably leaving doesn''t really please me as it will likely transpire. The only consolation for me would be the big fee we should get, especially if a few teams seek him. Our chances of success next season would, IMO, diminish that little bit should we lose him.[/quote]

Get to the bookies quick you can get a good price on us finishing outside the top 6. If you want a bottom half finish 8/1 and 40/1 to be relegated.

"Get to the bookies quick you can get a good price on us finishing outside the top 6. If you want a bottom half finish 8/1 and 40/1 to be relegated."

My pessimism, such as it is won''t stretch as far as betting against us, at least until the Summer''s dealings are out of the way.

It is a truism though that in this league any club can beat any other even, though not so much these days with Championship big-spenders frequently rivalling some Premier League club''s in what they are prepared to pay for talent. Fulham started this with McCormack and others have followed meaning that a gap has opened up similar to that in the Premier League it''s self.

The commentator''s comment about Derby County last night was telling. He stated that ''at their best'' Derby were the most effective side in that League but then cited the number of defeats that they had accumulated that season and suggested that the problem was that they were not always ''at their best.'' All teams can be inconsistent, but next season will be a battle for us from beginning to end and consistency will be the key. Alex Neil need to work his best team sorted quickly, get a settled team and avoid the mistakes of this last season.

At least he should know that by now.

Retaining Redmond, Klose, Brady, Howson and Ruddy would be a good start, as unlikely as this will be.