Sign in to follow this  
Curious Canary

Relegation - Ten Key Moments

1. Cameron Jerome disallowed goal against Crystal Palace (August).

2. Selling Bradley Johnson (September).

3. Alex Tetty giving a free kick away in added time at West Ham (September).

4. Vardy conning the referee into giving a penalty (October).

5. Alex Tettey substitution at Newcastle (October).

6. Loaning / Selling Gary Hooper (October).

7. Gary O’Neil stupid sending off at Stoke (January).

8. Chelsea blatant offside goal (March).

9. Alex Tettey season ending injury against Chelsea (March).

10. Timm Klose season ending injury at Crystal Palace (April).

All other clubs will have had similar moments, let''s be honest. Whatever happens on the pitch in those moments, we still had 10 other moments to win games which we didn''t. Sadly lack of investment is to blame.

Some key games for me were...The total no show at Aston Villa so 3 points lost.Not closing out Liverpool when 3-1 up so another 3 points lost.2-0 up at home to West Ham and letting them back in for 2-2 so 2 points given away.Losing 3-0 at Bournemouth with another total no show who at the time were having a dodgy time of it so at least 1 more point thrown away.9 more points and Premiership mid table so a case of what might have been.

plus Russ Martin back pass v Liverpool, Basson''s errors eg v Man Utd, whole team not turning up at Villa or Swansea, Jerome missing sitters v Leicester and last week heading straight at De Gea...... list is endless for all clubs of course.

Agree with your first 3 points Til but will argue the 4th. The Bournemouth match was played less than 3 days after the Stoke away match - in which we played with 10 men for about 65 minutes.. O''Neil getting sent off. Don''t think that subsequent shocking performance is just a coincidence!

The Wisdom challenge against Sunderland??

If he won the ball who knows what the score would''ve been. Neither team had grabbed a hold of the game up until that point!

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]

I hope you enjoyed your ''Tour'' yesterday Til 1010, to places far and wide!! ;)[/quote]Very breezy and cold at Cromer Crabby so back to the car after purchasing some crabs and a little run along the coast to sit on Walcott sea front in the comfort of TIL 1010. [:P]

Newcastle demolishing us away from home which ended our attacking set up anyone?

Poor substitutions

Poor team selections

Never had a settled team

Playing players out of position

Ruddy''s personal problems

Poor coaching

Scouting abysmal

Plus all the problems with the catering staff being recruited from Colleges not able to realise fans want HOT sausage rolls at 1.30PM

Persisting with Brady at LB & leaving out OlssonPicking Martin and/or Bassong ahead of BennettNot recalling Ruddy soon enoughNot picking our best 11 players & sticking with themNot deciding on our best formation & sticking with itWorrying too much about the oppositionFailure to give Lafferty and/or Hooper a chance when it was obvious Jerome & Mbokani were continually firing blanksFailure to replace the motivation, energy, drive and shooting ability that Johnson gave to the team

The Number 1 key moment was the closing of the summer window and our disgraceful activity in it

Beat me to it JF

DM resigned for the obvious reason that blame for relegation lands squarely on whoever orchestrated the summer window

I was attacked regularly for bringing it up - but the need for a defender or two in September was SO obvious to anyone - and it just never happened. When it did, Klose, it was too little (we needed another) and too late (by the time he settled the dye was cast)

Frankly the debacle of the last summer window was unforgivable by the board. The lack of ambition shown, or ability to offer what was needed- call it what you want- sunk us before a ball was kicked. How we set out with the same defenders who sunk us previously - and who were not that good in the champ- is beyond me.

I think it is a hell of a stretch to put selling Johnson and Hooper as key moments.

As others have mentioned the summer transfer window was probably our biggest issue. Going into this season with a starting back four of Whittaker, Martin, Bassong and Brady was negligent from whoever was in charge.

However the subsequent no shows against relegation rivals (Palace, Swansea, Bournemouth and Villa) along with twice throwing away two goal leads at home it the second half of the season were huge. We hold on and beat West Ham and we beat Villa suddenly we''re in the driving seat for today.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Our key problem was ...

We were BEATEN at least once by EVERY team in the division (bar the only side we haven''t played twice ... yet).[/quote]West Ham?

The first was clearly the Newcastle game. How different the rest of the season would have gone had we got a point or won that game we''ll never know.

However, the most important were the complete no shows against Bournemouth, Villa and Sunderland. We had numerous other poor games, but they were simply inexcusably and cataclysmicly woeful performances. I cannot fathom how we lost 2-0 to Aston Villa, bloody Agbonlahor even scored...

Special mention to the Klose knjury, I think he would have kept us up.

Just thought I would revisit this explain my thoughts.

I was thinking that there were a number of small moments that affected out season.

Not so much whole matches or individual mistakes during games, there were loads of defensive errors and missed chances and poor decisions.

But as I see it there were a handful that were pivotal in that each had a profound effect on subsequent events. They were things that happened, rather than things that didn’t happen. Some were down to our decisions, some were not.

I like Tettey a lot and I’m not having a go at him giving away the free kick at West Ham, maybe we should have defended it better, but boy did that goal cost us. Probably the best we have played away all season and seconds from 3 points. Have to include O’Neil at Stoke because it was mental.

The list is not the top 10 reasons of why we were relegated (daly and Making Plans have made a good start on this!).

Just a nod to how things could have turned out different / better.

AJ says that “All other clubs will have had similar moments”.

This seems to imply that those key moments were irrelevant and had no effect on the outcome of our season. It all evens out over a season. Well I’m not so sure that it does.

Success in sport goes to the strong but where contestants are evenly matched it often involves small margins.

From fairly early in the season it was clear that there were only six or seven candidates for the bottom three and that Villa were by far the poorest team.

Consider one of Sunderland’s key moments, I am reading that:

“On 27 January 2016, Koné signed for Sunderland AFC for an undisclosed fee until 2020. This followed a protracted transfer saga that had previously broken down twice, and had seen Lorient threaten Sunderland with legal action for initially pulling out of a deal.”

Kone made a huge difference to Sunderland’s season.

Kone didn’t get injured in the game prior to playing Norwich.

And if Klose hadn’t have been injured, Wisdom might not have been on the pitch against Sunderland.

And I’ve put the Johnson and Hooper transfers in the list because we didn’t replace them with better players.