Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Colman Whines

From today''s EEN.........

"There are supporters and then there are supporters. But only a precious collection have earned the right to be called diehards.

They are the away fans: the unstoppable force of Norwich City followers who bleed yellow and green and who are undauntable.

These

unsung heroes have seen three wins, two draws and 14 defeats in the

league this season – including abject displays like 0-2 at Aston Villa

and 0-3 at Bournemouth.

But still they go – packing their lunches,

climbing about the coach and travelling more than 7,000 miles this

season in search of the elusive City victory.

When coach number three left Carrow Road at 7am on Sunday, many were “regulars”, with reserved seats.

Over

the course of the season the regulars and the driver form a close bond

and I was lucky enough to be on board when Roger, the trusty driver of

coach three, was given his card and collection for the season – and to

hear his emotional speech.

The region’s politicians could learn a thing or two from Roger’s speech.

It

was honest and spoke straight to the hearts of his passengers, thanking

them for being like a family to him over the season and for being
the

reason he has a job which he loves.

While a man next to me chose

to mutter “only in Norfolk” under his breath, this is not something to

be knocked – instead the togetherness, trust and friendship is something

to celebrate.

It could also help the powers that be at Carrow Road to address one of the supporters’ most pressing concerns.

Just

like Norwich’s inconsistent form on the pitch it is clear that

supporters aren’t all singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to

what concerns them about their side, but the recurring theme among the

supporters I spoke with was a fear that the they were being disregarded

by the Norwich City board.

James Earl said he was fed up with being left in the dark.

He said: “I don’t feel the board listen to supporters and it is really frustrating.

“I understand that it is their money and they will do what they like.

“It

is rare for the board to listen to us and as supporters we only get

listened to when we all join together such as when we all protested

together over Chris Hughton’s performance as manager.

“When it comes to transfers they’ll never listen and that’s fair enough, but it would be nice to feel we are connected.”

Peter

Wharton called for changes in the Norwich City boardroom and said he

was delighted to see David McNally resign as chief executive, calling it

“one of the best things to ever happen”.

Sir Bobby Robson once

said that a club is “the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city”,

but for some Norwich fans there is no feeling of belonging and pride,

even from those travelling thousands of miles to support their team.

This is a dangerous predicament for any club to find themselves in and one which escalates very quickly.

Take

the current situation at Charlton, for example, where each match day is

overshadowed by anger, tension and bile bubbling around the stadium.

The

situation at the Valley must serve as a warning to the club to get

connected with their supporters as everyone needs to be onside for the

acid test that is the Championship and the most disappointing part of my

trip, other than not stopping at the iconic A17 farm shop, was to see

supporters so loyal, so dedicated and so passionate feel so

insignificant"

What a load of baloney. Sounds like Edward Colman is trying to stir up "anger, tension and bile bubbling" rather than write about City fan''s loyalty even in disappointing times. Quoting a few moaners without balancing it up with a few comments from more balanced fans doesn''t make for a reasoned article.

Did he miss the forums put on by the Social Club including the one with Alex Neil? Ample proof the club is communicating with the fans. Hopefully the next one will be with board members so fans can ask questions of the owners or perhaps the new CE. I feel sure he wouldn''t feel so "insignificant" if he turned up at one of them.

I think Edward is a strong contender for "miserablist of the season" award, no mean feat when he''s up against the likes of Highland, alartz and Lincoln.

Some of the worst car journey''s I''ve ever been in are with people who ''do a lot of miles'' yet they''ll want to convince you that they are experts when it comes to driving.

Those in coach three with their regular seats who go to lots of games seem to be under the same delusion.

There are plenty of ways to engage with the club, if you don''t take part then you shouldn''t complain about being ''left in the dark''.

I have done a few coach 3 journeys over the last season or two (I mostly drive but occasionally, I hate this reserving seat thing they have on their, it is very clicky, however on the other hand, what they do have in their defence is, they are a group that has developed close friendships over the seasons and enjoy each other''s company while following their team, so maybe not such a bad thing after all.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]I have done a few coach 3 journeys over the last season or two (I mostly drive but occasionally, I hate this reserving seat thing they have on their, it is very clicky, however on the other hand, what they do have in their defence is, they are a group that has developed close friendships over the seasons and enjoy each other''s company while following their team, so maybe not such a bad thing after all.[/quote]But do you think the board doesn''t listen to supporters as the writer claims Lessingham, and are we really in as poor a state as Charlton?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]I have done a few coach 3 journeys over the last season or two (I mostly drive but occasionally, I hate this reserving seat thing they have on their, it is very clicky, however on the other hand, what they do have in their defence is, they are a group that has developed close friendships over the seasons and enjoy each other''s company while following their team, so maybe not such a bad thing after all.[/quote]But do you think the board doesn''t listen to supporters as the writer claims Lessingham, and are we really in as poor a state as Charlton?[/quote]Of course not. Had my fill this season of whining old fannies who carp on about how many years they have supported, or how many miles they have done, assuming this gives them the right to whinge about absolutely EVERYTHING. In some ways they are more self entitled than any Premiership plastics we picked up.

I like this bit best:

"Peter Wharton called for changes in the Norwich City boardroom and said he was delighted to see David McNally resign as chief executive, calling it “one of the best things to ever happen”."

One of the best things EVER TO HAPPEN? EVER? All the promotions, Wembley a few times , Europe and this clown says that McNally resigning is the best? No thought I suppose Peter of any successional plan. Let''s just get rid of anyone that doesn''t listen eh Peter?

I''m thinking Peter isn''t a well travelled man. Apart from on the coach of course.

Lapps IMO, NO & NO, of course they don''t listen, and no we are not anywhere near a Charlton, will be interesting to see this years accounts, but unless we have suddenly increased wages and paying out massive bonuses for relegation, cant see how, I''m sure the accountants on here will tell us about our ratio''s for income v outgoings, don''t think there is anything to see here..... unless someone knows different ?

[quote user="GPB"]I like this bit best:

"Peter Wharton called for changes in the Norwich City boardroom and said he was delighted to see David McNally resign as chief executive, calling it “one of the best things to ever happen”."

One of the best things EVER TO HAPPEN? EVER? All the promotions, Wembley a few times , Europe and this clown says that McNally resigning is the best? No thought I suppose Peter of any successional plan. Let''s just get rid of anyone that doesn''t listen eh Peter?

I''m thinking Peter isn''t a well travelled man. Apart from on the coach of course.[/quote]Peter sounds like the ideal candidate to be the fans representative on the board. I mean, what''s the point of having somebody who''s going to agree with everything/anything they say or do?

Well if you are looking for somebody who agrees with everything/anything they say or do i have a few names in mind.

Tilly, I dont want a fan on the board to represent us regular 25,000 fans who turn up at CR thanks, can''t think of anyone who is qualified to do that job or who I would want to speak on my behalf !!

David McNally did destroy a fair bit of the community spirit around the club by letting go a number of workers who''d been there for ages on a decent wage and replacing them with cheaper youngsters. For example, if you look at the programme sellers around the ground, pretty much all the regulars have gone and been replaced with kids who probably couldn''t tell you who plays in goal for us.

[quote user="cityangel"]Tilly, I dont want a fan on the board to represent us regular 25,000 fans who turn up at CR thanks, can''t think of anyone who is qualified to do that job or who I would want to speak on my behalf !![/quote]I am sure there is someone out there who would love to be the voice of the fans. [:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="cityangel"]Tilly, I dont want a fan on the board to represent us regular 25,000 fans who turn up at CR thanks, can''t think of anyone who is qualified to do that job or who I would want to speak on my behalf !![/quote]I am sure there is someone out there who would love to be the voice of the fans. [:D][/quote]IMO it would need to be someone with a car with a distinctive number plate.we can''t have any old riff raff speaking for us.[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="cityangel"]Tilly, I dont want a fan on the board to represent us regular 25,000 fans who turn up at CR thanks, can''t think of anyone who is qualified to do that job or who I would want to speak on my behalf !![/quote]I am sure there is someone out there who would love to be the voice of the fans. [:D][/quote]IMO it would need to be someone with a car with a distinctive number plate.we can''t have any old riff raff speaking for us.[:D][/quote]A Peroni swilling Old Wrinkly might fit the bill. [:P]

I would be quite happy if the fan had some actual football experience at some level.

But it couldn''t be some blowhard know it all off a football forum, for instance.

I don''t know, Morty.  I''d quite like it to be a "glass half-empty" kind of fan with too much time on his hands.
Perhaps there is a middle ground here somewhere.

it is hard for the one person to speak for 25000 never be right !

and if they have a vote my money will be on delia''s mum for the job

[quote user="TIL 1010"]A Peroni swilling Old Wrinkly might fit the bill. [:P]

[/quote]I''m a bit younger than the Stowmarket 2.[:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="cityangel"]Tilly, I dont want a fan on the board to represent us regular 25,000 fans who turn up at CR thanks, can''t think of anyone who is qualified to do that job or who I would want to speak on my behalf !![/quote]I am sure there is someone out there who would love to be the voice of the fans. [:D][/quote]If it was a fan on the board and if they are looking after other fans then they''d be like a nanny for fans.  Looks like we''re looking for a fanny.