Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Villa sold

to a Chinese doctor (add joke below).

Being serious for a second, that could see the rot stopped, as the fans get what they wanted...OR it could make it worse and they "Do a Wigan".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36327300

With the click of their fingers they have a buyer...

I do wonder if it''d do us good to be bought out. We seem to fall just short every time we have been in the premiership due to lack of investment. Everything else has been in place for a successful spell there.

Obviously I worry that we could end up with some right horror like Venkys etc. but there must come a point where enough is enough and we have to progress. We''ve hit our glass ceiling under the current ownership I feel.

Yes very quick sale. Randy Lerner wanted out and I''m sure despite all the usual media guff he couldn''t care less who he sold to. Let''s Face it Randy Lerner, if he''s even half normal will never willingly set foot in Birmingham again, so he''s unlikely to careless what people there think of him as long as he got rid.

wonder if they know Birmingham city owner Carson Yeung !

i imagine that as they are a bigger club it is easier for them to find buyers i think EX aberdeen and everton CEO is going to run it for them

According to Villa''s official statement Xia became a fan of the club "many years ago" -may be true of course or may be PR!

Also stated he wanted to buy an "iconic" English football club. They most definitely are that. And we are not.

Looking like yet another team will be allowed to break FFP to achieve '' The Dream ''.

In all the stuff re the the sale by that BBC sports Midland person ( forget his name ) there is one amazing bit of info that just shows how appalling Villa were run. Many of their player contracts were extended in the summer and leading up to Jan 2016. This meant that 23 of their players currently have an astonishing 78 YEARS of contract left. An average of approaching 3 1/2 years each.

At times you wonder if it is worth clubs like ours operating properly and within all the rules as surely most of these contracts will be bought out or players sold for minimal fees allowing Villa to bring in whoever they want on silly wages breaking FFP. O well.

Bad news indeed if they have decent money to spend in the window.

I also expect Newcastle to come straight back up.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Yes very quick sale.[/quote]Lol. It was put on the market two years ago. [:D]

Just reading up on this I see they have agreed a fee of £60m, which to me seems cheap. It got me thinking as to the value of our club. Personally I haven''t got a clue how much we''re worth, perhaps a couple of the fag packet accountants could estimate/guess a figure?

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Just reading up on this I see they have agreed a fee of £60m, which to me seems cheap. It got me thinking as to the value of our club. Personally I haven''t got a clue how much we''re worth, perhaps a couple of the fag packet accountants could estimate/guess a figure?[/quote]

Villa very old established Club with a larger supporter base in England''s second city but certainly not "the name" it was in the past. Also large well known ground. On the other side of the coin current owner was glad to get out and present squad not worth much. Basically a case of how desperately Delia wants to sell - not a very likely scenario at the moment - plus how much a willing buyer with loads of dosh wishes to pay. I will throw in a guesstimate. £25m - £30m.

I think there''s 600,000+ Norwich shares in circulation with a face value of £100 each, ie total nominal value of £60m.
Small amounts of shares trade on the Supporters'' trust website at around £40-45/share so that would point to a value of around £25m.  That seems on the low side given that we''re meant to be debt free, for now at least.
It would be interesting to see if the Villa price of £60m include acquiring or transferring any existing debt.  

Have been listening to this on Radio 5. Villa are largely debt free at the moment although have several highly paid players on long term contracts. Di Matteo and Nigel Pearson in the running for the manager''s job. I wouldn''t care for either but the point is they could have the pick of the best players available in the next transfer window. With Benitez seemingly willing to consider staying on at Newcastle a top 2 finish has already become more difficult.We need to get our CEO position sorted pretty damn quick so AN can move forward with assembling his squad.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Just reading up on this I see they have agreed a fee of £60m, which to me seems cheap. It got me thinking as to the value of our club. Personally I haven''t got a clue how much we''re worth, perhaps a couple of the fag packet accountants could estimate/guess a figure?[/quote]The report on Villa (for a sale that seems not to have gone through yet) I have seen talks about a sum possibly as low as £60m rather than that being a definite figure.As for Norwich City, if the price for the controlling ordinary shares is still £100 that theoretically values the club at £61.7m. But the club is not listed on a stock market, and that share price is set by the directors rather than by public trading, so it is debatable how much of a guide it is.

Purple what is happening with the Clubs debt / how much is it ?- if it stays with Randy L he has lost a fortune but if the new owner takes it over that is probably why it looks like a bargain purchase

With regard to us - we have no debt, a purchase price of £61M would be a bargain

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]With the click of their fingers they have a buyer...

I do wonder if it''d do us good to be bought out. We seem to fall just short every time we have been in the premiership due to lack of investment. Everything else has been in place for a successful spell there.

Obviously I worry that we could end up with some right horror like Venkys etc. but there must come a point where enough is enough and we have to progress. We''ve hit our glass ceiling under the current ownership I feel.[/quote]
We''d do well to always realise this is much better than the trap door.

Indeed. Look where Portsmouth are still. I remember them setting the Division 1 (Championship) on fire one season (Norwich first play-off season, 2001 ??)

[quote user="woostercanary"]I think there''s 600,000+ Norwich shares in circulation with a face value of £100 each, ie total nominal value of £60m.
Small amounts of shares trade on the Supporters'' trust website at around £40-45/share so that would point to a value of around £25m.  That seems on the low side given that we''re meant to be debt free, for now at least.
It would be interesting to see if the Villa price of £60m include acquiring or transferring any existing debt.  
[/quote]Those are indeed small numbers of shares, probably being bought for sentimental reasons. I doubt there is any calculation involved there based on how much the club is worth, so prices such a those are unlikely to be a guide to how much someone would pay for a majority stake.

Cant disagree Yankee and K Lo.

The thing is we have undoubtedly reached as far as we can go with the current owners in charge - 4 promotions and relegations in recent seasons has proved this.

With more money/new owners coming into the Premier and top Championship sides it is very clear that with out addtional investment our brief forays into the Premier every now and again to top up the bank account are going to become more and more difficult to achieve.

So what do NCFC supporters want ? what is the aspiration for their club ? Take the risk of new owners investment with the chance of becoming an established Premier club (along with the chance of it going belly up) or stay as we are - which in all probability means over time we fall further down the footballing hierarchy.

I''m not saying either way is right or wrong, all I would say that anything in life/business is a risk/calculated gamble those that are more successful tend to take those risks than those that don''t - yet those that don''t take those chances then whinge like hell about the stuff/success others then have.......

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Purple what is happening with the Clubs debt / how much is it ?- if it stays with Randy L he has lost a fortune but if the new owner takes it over that is probably why it looks like a bargain purchase

With regard to us - we have no debt, a purchase price of £61M would be a bargain[/quote]That is an excellent question, Gunthorpe. Unfortunately my expert on Aston Villa''s finances is a retired Latvian fishmonger now living on one of the smaller islands in the Tierra del Fuego archipelago, without internet access. I have sent him a letter, stressing the urgency and relevance of your inquiry, and hope to receive a reply within the next two years. I will pass it on straight away, of course.

[quote user="The Judge"]Cant disagree Yankee and K Lo.

The thing is we have undoubtedly reached as far as we can go with the current owners in charge - 4 promotions and relegations in recent seasons has proved this.

With more money/new owners coming into the Premier and top Championship sides it is very clear that with out addtional investment our brief forays into the Premier every now and again to top up the bank account are going to become more and more difficult to achieve.

So what do NCFC supporters want ? what is the aspiration for their club ? Take the risk of new owners investment with the chance of becoming an established Premier club (along with the chance of it going belly up) or stay as we are - which in all probability means over time we fall further down the footballing hierarchy.

I''m not saying either way is right or wrong, all I would say that anything in life/business is a risk/calculated gamble those that are more successful tend to take those risks than those that don''t - yet those that don''t take those chances then whinge like hell about the stuff/success others then have.......
[/quote]

Sorry, that just sounds like some management speak b0ll0cks.

Fine Squit - if thats what you think - if you want it put another way - we currently don''t have enough finance at the top of the club to establish ourselves in the Premier league - our record 4 relegations prove this. Some supporters believe the Premier league is where the club belongs and get angry/frustrated each time we get relegated but don''t want new owners because its ''too risky'' - well to them I say you can''t have both that is the sad reality of the Premier league (and increasingly the top of the Championship) stop whinging about it and take a reality pill.

The Owners have a choice (only them as they are the ones that ultimately will make the decision) about whether they want the club to go to the next level - however in my opinion they either just don''t want to because they are happy with the club ''as it is'' (recent board appointments appear to support this fact), or they basically believe that as custodians of the club that it is too big a risk to take and the supporters back them in this assertion.

Supporter opinion is clearly divided on this as many threads over the past few weeks have highlighted.

I am actually undecided as I prefer to watch the Championship games as for a team like us they are far more competitive and entertaining and we have a chance to bring in young hungry players rather than the bang average overpaid prima donna''s that you would need to survive in the Premier league - but i also think that if Delia and Michael sold the club to get the necessary investment needed to try to establish ourselves in the top tier of English football this would be a risk worth taking.

Enjoy your posts on this Judge. I agree it''s a gamble between successful investment and failure. If the aim is to become established in EPL what are the odds?

I reckon 5/3 odd on Nutty.... we are clearly in a much better position than alot of other Clubs looking for potential suiters so although not a ''major'' english club with major history I think the fact we are definately currently one of those ''in between'' clubs we could attract a good array of investors who wouldnt haven''t to fork out a great deal in the stupid world of football investment (in comparison to other clubs) to achieve stability in the Premier and the world wide advertising/association kudos it would bring them.

What odds would you give ?

I''m influenced by the fact we have the 45th richest owners yet have spent the last six seasons in the top 25. But the odds must be against that continuing if the richer owners of the other 20 odd clubs are up to it.

I''d say 20/1 against a new richer owner getting us established in the PL but no chance of the current owners doing it.

However the evidence before our eyes suggests that the best bet would be for our current owners to be richer. And younger I guess....

as we all would Nutty - but it isnt going to happen and thats the issue in nutshell.

I read your stat on the 45th richest owners on another thread last week and it makes you wonder how much we will miss Mr McNally ? The worry for me here though is not only if the top 20 rich clubs are up to it (which would be the Premier sorted) is if those 21 to 44 start flexing their financial muscles...which goes to show with things staying as they are we will struggle more and more to get back into the Premier league - made even more difficult when those clubs coming down from the Premier next will have significantly more in parachute payments than we will get this year and next.....

Some people are pro a buyout of our club and some are anti, that would probably be the same for any club.Putting the cost (and possibility) of a buyout aside as this would have no effect of the clubs financial position, in fact if Delia gave it away for free or sold it for £1 billion we would have no more or less money in the club than we do now.What level of additional investment funding a new owner might bring with them would tilt the balance for people?£25 million, £50 million, £100 million, more?Personally I would be looking for £200 million + to tilt the balance of risk involved, but that`s just my opinion.

Norwich will actually receive the same amount in parachute payments as those relegated next year.

The money is based on the "fair share" each EPL club receives that season - thus the payments are worked out on the season the relegated club receives the money, not the season in which the club is relegated.

What has happened that will be to the detriment to Norwich is clubs who only spend a year in the EPL will only receive the first two seasons work of money (which will be around £60m altogether) Villa and Newcastle will receive a third season''s money (should they still be outside the Premier League that season), which would equate to about an additional £10m. (These figures are based on estimates of fair share).

The new owners debate is a circular one. Without knowing who a prospective buyer is, it is impossible to say whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. Even when you know who the buyer is, it is usually difficult to predict.

Norwich are lucky to be owned by such loyal fans of the club - who clearly and dearly love the club. The two clubs Norwich have suffered relegation with this season so how the wrong owner (or even the ''right'' owner who becomes wrong) will cause massive damage.

If a club can get promoted and stabilise in the Prem without a rich benefactor any more is an unknown. It is clear that survival will become harder and harder every season as clubs get more and more spending power. You just have to look at two of Norwich''s relegation rivals being able to bring in players such as Yohan Cabaye and Andre Ayew to see what everyone will be up against. On the flip side, you just have to look at Leicester to see that even those with relatively small budgets compared to their rivals can prosper greatly.

Its clear though, that it is becoming increasingly important to maximise the resources available and the league is more and more unforgiving.

Thanks for clarifying the parachute payments scenario Bethnal - looks like I incorrectly assumed that the extra cash being pumped in to the Premier League this year would filter down with those being relegated next season - however if I reading what you said correctly its just a case of the Premier keeping it all for themselves again making divide even more difficult to cross going forwards!

No one can disagree we have a great deal to thank our current owners for and of course we would all prefer our owners to be fans. There is a tipping point however where that love and their belief they are the ''custodians'' of the club becomes a blocker to the club moving to the next level which is becoming more and more obvious as more and more money gets pumped into the game (and continues to totally ruin it in my humble opinion)

I, and am sure no one would criticise them for not being ''rich enough''.

I accept that both Villa and Newcastle fans hate their current owners but in Newcastles case if Mike Ashleys money takes them back up again next year they will still probably hate him but they will be back so probably won''t mind as much. Villa''s relegation has led to a change of ownership so it will be interesting to see how they fare next season.

As said in an earlier post I am undecided as to way the club should go as enjoy the Championship more - but I do believe that with the current status quo at the top our chances of regaining a spot at the top table are becoming smaller and smaller, as will our chances of competiting at the top of the Chamionship in season to come...

On the subject of parachute payments (and I think I know the answer before I even ask the question, but I will anyway).

Would we still be entitled to the third year of parachute payments from our previous relegation? I know that if you get promoted you don''t get the next years payment (I think it gets split between the premiership clubs) but what about the year after that, does that go the same way or are would we receive it?