Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

IMO, Attacking Barclay 2nd half all season in most matches--Plus

I think it could have got us a extra 6no points if our 1st option is to attack the Barclay in 2nd half of matches at Carrow Road. We must be the only team who on choice don''t attack there noisiest area of fans in the 2nd half.

If it makes no difference why do all other teams prefer to do it?

Years ago NCFC warmed up in front of Barclay it was only when family section opened things swapped round.

Also when playing teams who have a large away following we are letting them attack towards there fans in the 2nd half.

Also if possible I would not have the away fans behind the linesman, sitting opposite many decisions don''t go our way because of this.

Things like this could be the difference between relegation and staying up to a club like ours.

i dont know how true it is or a myth

but it has been said for years the sun is at its highest at the riverend when we kick off ( 3pm ) so should be in the other teams goalies eyes if we attack the barclay first half

by the time the second half kicks off the sun is lower behind the riverend stand so does not effect our keeper

this does not apply to evening matches !!!

be interested if others have heard this ??

[quote user="simmo_2"]I think it could have got us a extra 6no points if our 1st option is to attack the Barclay in 2nd half of matches at Carrow Road. We must be the only team who on choice don''t attack there noisiest area of fans in the 2nd half.

If it makes no difference why do all other teams prefer to do it?

Years ago NCFC warmed up in front of Barclay it was only when family section opened things swapped round.

Also when playing teams who have a large away following we are letting them attack towards there fans in the 2nd half.

Also if possible I would not have the away fans behind the linesman, sitting opposite many decisions don''t go our way because of this.

Things like this could be the difference between relegation and staying up to a club like ours.[/quote]Where would the away fans go?  Obviously not an option for us, and despite it not working for them this season, Newcastle have the right idea by sticking the away fans way up in the gods away from everything.

Norfolkngood that has certainly been given as a reason before although how much credence there is to it is debatable. After all during winter time a fair number of games kickoff under overcast skies, if not raining.

As for the linesman positioning, this has often left me wondering if the lino''s have to run the lines a certain way, ie to the left of the dugout on the far side and vice versa. If not, why dontnwe ask them to reverse positions so that one runs the line by the Snakepit, the other on the south stand towards the river end? Anybody know??

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Norfolkngood that has certainly been given as a reason before although how much credence there is to it is debatable. After all during winter time a fair number of games kickoff under overcast skies, if not raining.

As for the linesman positioning, this has often left me wondering if the lino''s have to run the lines a certain way, ie to the left of the dugout on the far side and vice versa. If not, why dontnwe ask them to reverse positions so that one runs the line by the Snakepit, the other on the south stand towards the river end? Anybody know??[/quote]

Up to approx. 5 years ago the referee would decide which side he wanted his linesmen. so it would be 50/50. but there must have been some directive because they are always in the same place now.

to my knowledge it still is up to the referee but it does appear to be the norm.

My understanding regarding the direction of play was although fairly flat there is a slight uphill towards the Barclay and the players have always preferred to play up hill first half not sure but I think it was In Crook who told me this?

Often wonder about this. There used to be a slight slope maybe not now? Sun is an issue when he''s got his hat on. Stand in the lower Barclay and you''ll understand that.

But having said all that I''m not sure there is an advantage in the way the OP suggests. If I think back over the years and the big results we got kicking into the river second half.

On assistant referee positioning - whenever I run the line in my sons matches I am always told to be by the side of the left back - I assume this is the same in the football league and is an FA dictat.

On which way we kick. Whatever way we may want to kick in the first or second half, don''t forget that decision is decided by the toss of the coin. And the opposition know full well that most teams prefer to attack the goal behind which their most vociferous fans are in the second half - because they would too! So no wonder if they win the toss NCFC kick towards the Barclay first half.

Stick the away fans in the Community Corner, play towards that end first half and towards the snake pit in the second half. ( I would say Barclay but the snake pit makes more noise than the Barclay these days)

Assistant referee positions depends on which diagonal the ref operates. But its usual to keep your assistants on your right. As for attacking I was told by Dave Watson that Norwich preference was to attack River End second half so the noise of the Barclay was behind them and drove them on...

Paul Lambert was keen on us attacking the Barclay in the first half because around 70% of teams that are ahead at half time go on to win the game.

interesting points.... I think if it''s not sunny, play towards Barclay in second half. Also completely agree that we don''t need thousands of away fans right in the linesman''s ears looking for their penalty claims/handballs/offside calls etc, so bung the away fans in another area of ground such as suggested high in current community area.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Often wonder about this. There used to be a slight slope maybe not now? Sun is an issue when he''s got his hat on. Stand in the lower Barclay and you''ll understand that.

But having said all that I''m not sure there is an advantage in the way the OP suggests. If I think back over the years and the big results we got kicking into the river second half.[/quote]Dear oh dear, the field is as flat as an ironing-board! And even if it did have a slight slope years ago, it was hardly St James hill [:|]

We have almost always preferred attacking the River End second half according to my recollection.

Lessingham Canary wrote the following post at 19/05/2016 9:34 PM:

"Why are you calling it theBarclay ? it is the Coral ;-) "

Not heard the famous chant " sing up the Coral" yet Lessingham 😜

Snakepit gave up first in the singing match at the Watford game Vanwink. "

I suspect that was purely to quench the thirst generated by all that singing

Dear oh dear that''s exactly what I said. But let''s open this up to whAt we''ve seen with our own eyes. Dave Stringers winner against Palarse and the play off comeback against Wolves were both kicking into the river second half. Steve Bruce famous header was the Barclay. Who else remembers other big Carrow Road second halfs ?

Coming back from 1-4 v Boro was at the River end.