Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Neil, start wielding that Axe.

Brighton have released 5 and have done the right thing to act quickly.

We must have at least 7 or 8 to release.

Ok, Alex I will help you out.

Jake Kean, Steven Whittaker, Michael Turner, Tony Andreu, Sebastien Bassong, Youssouf Mulumbu,

you''re fired.

That was easy, next six.

American Norwich Fan,

I think you will find that contracts run to 30th June.

So its goodbye to:

Bamford

Wisdom

Mbokani because their loans run out.

Its a probable goodbye to:

Whittaker

Turner as their contracts run out this summer

Its a ? as to whether O''Neill gets a contract extension

Its a likely goodbye to:

Redmond - hopefully for a fist full of pounds

Lafferty

Will we offload:

Ruddy

Martin

Dorrans

and Mulumbu

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Why would we have Mbok, Wisdom and Bamford on loan till 30 June? Think about it.[/quote]

Because players contracts run to 30th June. The players may have gone back to their clubs but I expect us to be paying their costs until the 30th June. Mbok. and Wisdom were on full season loans.

Wisdom ws returned to his parent club the moment he got injured and one would assume the contract was terminated as we had paid a fee up front for his services, I would imagine both Mbok and Bamford were sent packing the day after relegation was confirmed why would we continue to pay 45K a week to keep Mbok around 7 weeks longer than necessary ?

[quote user="dibbler"]Ok, Alex I will help you out.

Jake Kean, Steven Whittaker, Michael Turner, Tony Andreu, Sebastien Bassong, Youssouf Mulumbu,

you''re fired.

That was easy, next six.[/quote]

And what good would that do?

At least half of those are good championship players

Those wanting and expecting a big clear-out will be disappointed and it is unrealistic. I suspect we will hold on to all our current squad unless the better ones eg Redmond are sold which i expect him to be. We have no strikers and what money we have will have to be spent on them, the vast bulk of the squad will remain and the returning youngsters will also compete for places. Our success or otherwise will rest on getting 2 new strikers in and how good they are

It''s actually scary just how old our squad really is, all bar Pinto, Bennett, Klose, Redders, Olsson, Rudd, Vadis, then Dorrans & Mulumbu who are 29 this year are under 30 this coming season.

We need to hope that Myrphy, Maddison and Thompson come in to add energy and youth into team.

Do we have too many players well past their peak?

[quote user="unique"]AN showing worrying signs of wanting to hang on to Dorrans.......[/quote]

Dorrans makes a big difference at the level we are now in. There''s going to be a lot of disappointment around the place if people''s expectation is for the club to buy a whole load of proven Premier League quality players ... that won''t and can''t happen.

We''ll keep the players that can get us promoted ... even if they may not be good enough IF we do.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Those wanting and expecting a big clear-out will be disappointed and it is unrealistic. I suspect we will hold on to all our current squad unless the better ones eg Redmond are sold which i expect him to be. We have no strikers and what money we have will have to be spent on them, the vast bulk of the squad will remain and the returning youngsters will also compete for places. Our success or otherwise will rest on getting 2 new strikers in and how good they are[/quote]

This ^^^!

I can''t deny I''d be a bit disappointed if we renew Whittakers contract. We''ve already got Pinto and Martin who are younger and better players at the same positions, we hardly need to be spending wages on a 31 year old third choice right back.

As mentioned we really need to inject some youth into this squad- players aged 25 and under with their best years ahead of them.

In my opinion, those players we are able to receive a decent fee for, will depart to pastures new.....I feel there will be no significantly large cull of the main squad - and a percentage of money from the sale of maybe Nathan, Klose and possibly Naismith, Olsson and Tettey - will hopefully go towards strengthening our strike force including one or two areas of weakness in other positions. I also don''t expect any ''big'' signings between now and August, but hopefully better quality individuals will be recruited replacing those that will depart......

Realistically, whilst we have a bit of money to spend we want to spend it on the right areas to IMPROVE the squad, and not deplete it by letting decent players go.

Bassong, Dorrans, Whittaker, O''Neil are all experienced players who would pretty much walk into most Championship starting line-ups - so why would we want them to leave?! Okay, so we failed in the Prem this time around, but remember how good they were in the Championship the season before...

The only ones we''ll realistically let go are Turner, and quite possibly Lafferty.

Everyone else you really want to keep and instead of wasting money on players replacing already decent Championship players, spend it on what we do need - a decent strike force and someone to partner Klose!

For next season we currently have 31 people in or around the team, 33 is he keeps Whittaker and O''Neill plus

6 scholars just been given pro terms who won''t be ready apart from maybe Cantwell if he progresses a bit.

That is way too many sorry and requires a radical pruning.

People like Andreu, Malumbu and Whittaker must go to free up wages.

The problem with last summer is that we were reluctant to invest with so many big wage earners sitting there doing fuck all, RVW, Hooper etc, not just the appalling scouting

I agree that some of the players that I would axe would be OK in the Championship. It is more about getting a squad built to be better equipped for the Premiership with a few minor tweaks.

Reducing the wage bill sooner allows us to buy decent young talent which is vital.

Getting the newer settled back four hopefully built around Klose. This back four can''t have Bassong as a CB pairing who was no good in the Prem.

@AJ

Those players would not ''walk into most Championship XIs.'' They are average Championship players who are not really good enough for the Premier League. As others have said if we truly want to be a Premier League team we need to get rid of those players who we know for a fact can''t do it at the next level.

We''ve got quite a bloated squad full of players aged 27 or over who are not quite good enough for that next level. If we can move on the likes of Bassong, Whittaker, Mulumbu and co and spend their wages on better, younger players then we should.

Clearly Neil needs to set Whittaker''s squad status as Rotation and give him a one-year contract with a One Year Extension After League Games- 30.

;-)

Spot on AJ, not sure many on here realise we are planning for a season in the championship with championship money to spend. Wanting to offload players who have been serially promoted and with the nous to get out of that league again and replace them with unknown quantities is very short sighted. There is no doubt that we need to tweak the squad in areas and clear out a number of players on the fringes but to sell your better players and replace them with lots of young players rarely works. Just look at Villa and QPR and the massive nosedive both teams took last season doing exactly that.

We have to gradually progress the squad and focus on 3 or 4 quality signings alongside integration of our better young players. With the likes of Martin (4 promotions ), O''Neil (4 promotions), Bassong (3 promotions, 2 of which were in 1 season), Ruddy (2 promotions), Howson (2 promotions), Jerome (3 promotions) and Dorrans (2 promotions) using their experience to guide them and ensure we have a strong basis on which to get back up. Once up we can start to look at premier league quality as in reality that type of player doesn''t join championship clubs.

That''s the issue with AN coming out with statements like moving on older players only to sign Whitts to another contract, should have thought before speaking.

It''s no secret we have tight board with little wealth, they haven''t ploughed any more of their own funds into the club since 2007, unlike other rich investors.

The likely scenario is that we will off load Brady, Redders, Klose, Turner, Laffs and possibly Tettey, this will balance the wages, the likes of Murphy twins, Tofollo, Thompson and Maddison will be kept next year to add to depth of squad and bring some youth into the team and the money allowed by the board going to buy a couple lower league strikers like Roof from Oxford or such like.

The CEO will probably come from within, we sort of expect another guy who Delia loves in Ricky Martin going into that position.

Those who expect us to keep the likes of Klose, Redders and buy McCormack for 12 million will be very dissapointed.

We are building to get into the top 6 and cutting the finances for championship football, get used to it.

[quote user="Indy"]That''s the issue with AN coming out with statements like moving on older players only to sign Whitts to another contract, should have thought before speaking.

It''s no secret we have tight board with little wealth, they haven''t ploughed any more of their own funds into the club since 2007, unlike other rich investors.

The likely scenario is that we will off load Brady, Redders, Klose, Turner, Laffs and possibly Tettey, this will balance the wages, the likes of Murphy twins, Tofollo, Thompson and Maddison will be kept next year to add to depth of squad and bring some youth into the team and the money allowed by the board going to buy a couple lower league strikers like Roof from Oxford or such like.

The CEO will probably come from within, we sort of expect another guy who Delia loves in Ricky Martin going into that position.

Those who expect us to keep the likes of Klose, Redders and buy McCormack for 12 million will be very dissapointed.

We are building to get into the top 6 and cutting the finances for championship football, get used to it.[/quote]^ This won''t be very far out.[Y]

The thing is our squad is very unbalanced and bloated in some positions while light in others. For instance here is a list of players on our books that can play in central midfield-

Howson

Tettey

Mulumbu

O''Neil

Andreu

VOO

Dorrans

That''s 7 players without even including Louis Thompson, James Maddison or Wes Hoolahan. So clearly we need to get rid of some players there. Factor in none of those 7 players listed are under 27 so not exactly ''up and coming'' players it becomes clear that we really need to get rid of a couple of these players at least.

We only own two strikers and one of those the manager doesn''t like yet we have three players who are all able to play right back. We only have three wingers (one of whom I expect to leave) yet we have three players who can do a job ''in the hole.'' Brady and Redmond (two of our probably most in demand players) are the only regular starters under the age of 25.

What this all means is we have a collection of players who we already know what they are- average to good Championship players but probably not good enough for the Premier League. We could easily lose-

Whittaker

Bassong

Mulumbu

VOO

Andreu

and still have a deep enough squad. If we bring in another centre half, another striker and another winger then I''d imagine more would leave.

It''s not about throwing out the entire squad and playing the youth team but the squad desperately needs some youth and new blood injected into it (whether that is from our own youth team or new signings). What it doesn''t need is to hang on to loads of ageing journeymen or add any more.

You can write off Mulumbu, & Andrue both will be allowed to move on to find another club, as Vadis, if Tettey goes he will be seen as cover.

The likes of Wes & Maddison will no doubt be earmarked for the same position, Wes to start then , Maddison on for the final 15 minutes, giving him time on the pitch aiding his development.

If Thompson, Maddison and the Murphy''s hit their potential this season I''d hope to see them become regulars by Christmas.

Yes in an ideal world I''d like our squad to look like this...

GK''s- Ruddy, Rudd, Kean

RB''s- Pinto, Martin

CB''s- Klose, New Signing, Bennett, Bassong

LB''s- Olsson, Pinto

CM''s- Howson, Thompson, Tettey, Dorrans, O''Neil

RM''s- Jarvis, Murphy

AM''s Wes, Naismith, Maddison

LM''s- Brady, Murphy

Strikers- Jerome, 2 new signings

This would allow us to let go of Whittaker, Turner, VOO, Mulumbu, Lafferty, Redmond and Andreu with only three new signings coming in.

Doubtless it won''t work like this and it relies on some of the younger players stepping up (but not being relied on as first choices).

We will struggle to sign good players. If they are prepared to sign for championship clubs they are more likely to go to Villa or Newcastle.

We will lose top players so our success will be down to scouting and training, perhaps taking risks, we will not buy success on a plate.

Out of contract:

Turner, Whittaker, Loza

Loans Returned:

Wisdom, Mbokani, Bamford

Players who will look to move:

Klose, Brady, Redmond, Naismith

Players with 1 year left who we could Struggle to hang onto:

Tettey, Olsson

Players to be moved on:

Andreu, Lafferty, RVW, Kean

Remaining:

Ruddy, Rudd, Pinto, Martin, Bassong, Bennett, Toffolo, Howson, Dorrans, O''Neill, Odjijda, Jarvis, Murphy, Murphy, Hoolahan, Maddison, Jerome

To add to squad:

Rb, lb, cb, cm, winger, striker, striker

I dont think adding 7 is alot weve added alot more in other summer transfer windows.

Add Mulumbu to the list of players to be moved on.

Well thats what i would like to see happen anyway. Freshen the squad up. Would love to keep brady redmond and klose but just cant see how we can.

On another note if Leroy Fer joins Swansea from QPR im pretty sure we entitled to a % of the fee.