Sign in to follow this  
Buh

One last shot at the referees

First and foremost I need to say we were relegated because we were amongst the 3 worst teams this year. No question.

That doesn''t remove any blame from the referees in this league though.

Defend them if you want but it''s a sprain and simple fact that the refereeing this season for us has been diabolical and I return to the point that they are either CORRUPT or INCONPETENT either way they aren''t fit for purpose.

It reach the pin last night, where the ref was missing blatant handballs and the linesman forgot he had a flag and I think at one point was trying to book his holiday online the crowd were just laughing. It''s reached the stage where it''s just funny how crap they are.

The "elite"?

Lol

Bag

Of

S41te

The lot of them

Good riddance, c£&still.

Totally agree. Apart from Howson, I think pretty much everyone has underperformed this season - including the referees we''ve had.

Turned out it was a nothing game last night, so you can laugh at the ridiculousness of their performance, but from Jerome''s disallowed own goal we''ve had bugger all from any of the refs this season, and some really atrocious decisions against us.

Oh, and before anyone says it, the one handball (which wasn''t actually deliberate) decision which went for us with Howson against Newcastle doesn''t come close to evening things out.

There has been comment about the last free kick of the night, was actually in the box? Anyone see that as the case?

Above all that, was Ake''s horrible challenge on Mbokani. That was a straight red all day. Ake''s reaction to the fans, once he knew he had got away with it, showed he knew how lucky he was.

How the Lino (5 yards away) didn''t help East I have no idea

Cheers TWM, I was behind the goal, and couldn''t see the free kick /pen challenge. Mind you, the bloke next to us had money on a 4-2 win, so he was praying for our usual free kick standards, to claim his money!

Don''t forget when O''Neil took out Redmond early in the game. It could have been a red card as well ;)

They were very good in the recent Arsenal and Man Utd games. I think the one away at Swansea had a good game as well but apart from that they''ve been disgraceful all year. I can see Sunderland finishing on 40 so it probably wouldn''t have made too much difference in the end but their treatment of us this year just goes beyond any logical reasoning.

Not sure who''s had a more embarrassing PL season, Villa or the ref''s?

Some of us have short memories.

The standard of refereeing when last in the Championship was woeful more times than in the Ptremier League imo.

The only plus point is that we will be one of the bigger teams in the Championship so hopefully more of the 50/50 decisions. might go our way.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]I think the free kick was a free kick, but you''re right Ake''s challenge was very nasty. Straight red all day long.[/quote]

Didn''t ake get a lengthy ban for a tackle against spurs? Nasty piece of work.

One bonus about the Championship is you''re not the small club that referee''s seem to think shouldn''t be in the Premiership.
It''ll be nice being able to appeal for a penalty decision knowing there''s a chance you might actually get it!!!

I see Clattenberg has been appointed to ref the Champions league final if that''s the best ref Europe has to offer it doesn''t say much for the standards elsewhere! He''s also doing the FA Cup final.

And one last defence of the referees from me.Even though I believe there is a subconscious or semi-conscious bias in favour of bigger clubs and of the home team, it''s a split-second decision. Having refereed for many years myself, even at park level in front of a couple of dozen fans, you are influenced by your environment. To be completely and utterly emotionless and impartial is impossible, especially when you are being abused, ridiculed and sometimes fearing for your own safety. Football is played by humans, not robots, and officiating is (and should be) no different.The way referees are treated is basically institutionalised bullying – they are the only people with no fans, no support and no understanding of the intricacies of their role. I challenge anyone shouting their mouths off about officials – Buh included – to go and referee just one game at Sunday League level and report back with your findings. Without referees there is no football – is it any wonder that the standard is low when there is an endemic culture of disrespect and intimidation to anyone with a whistle at any level of the game? Where is the incentive for young referees to take up the whistle when effectively you are getting paid twenty quid to withstand 90 minutes of bullying and character assassination by intimidating boneheads who are just repeating what they saw on Match of the Day?And at a professional level, the sense of entitlement from players and fans of top clubs is disgusting. Right from the outset, it''s any excuse to jump down a referee''s throat. Every single game of football ever played has had more than one contentious decision that by definition will upset one team and its supporters. Top-level referees should be – and are – able to withstand a huge amount of stick, and by and large switch off to it, but at some point the ''elite'' clubs need to get their heads together and behave a little more responsibly. Either that or the FA issues a zero-torelance approach to dissent and refs start slinging red cards around left, right and centre – before long, players would be dragging each other away from the officials rather than surrounding or haranguing them.Oh, and finally, another bit of hands-on research for you – go to a rugby match and start shouting sh*t at the referee. See what happens.

Why, if there''s often a sub-concious bias towards the home team have we had so many decisions and referring performances in general go against us at CR this season. We often do get on ref''s backs and get stuck into them if they seem to be siding with the opposition so it''s not a case of CR being a sleepy ground where they feel they can get away with siding with the away team for a change.

If we only had to put up with referring bias away from home it wouldn''t be so bad and I could understand why ref would want to side with them to avoid abuse. But why are teams like Palace, Watford, Sunderland and WBA coming here and getting absolutely everything their own way?

I think they noticed we''ve been hard done by this year, so we got a couple of very fair refereeing performances v Arsenal and Man Utd. But too little too late for me. It would have meant much more v our rivals.

The difficulty is that we''re dealing with intangibles here. You can neither prove nor disprove a perceived bias by any referee, against any team, or in favour of the big teams/home teams generically. Speculating about whys and wherefores isn''t going to change anything.We need a root-and-branch overhaul of the way officials are perceived and treated, otherwise referee numbers will continue to decline and standards will continue to drop. It''s down to the FA and the clubs to agree to set a better example, otherwise the disrespect will continue to filter down to the parks and playing fields.

You can''t really prove it in any way, but anyone''s who watched plenty of us this year would know we''ve gotten a really raw deal.

For years we''ve all kind of known FIFA was corrupt from top to bottom but we didn''t have the means to actually prove it. Like here, we''ve seen with our own eyes plenty of absolutely baffling performances from ref''s, where not only do they seem to get every other decision plain wrong, they''ve given the benefit of the doubt to the opposition every time. I know I can''t prove or I shouldn''t say they''re corrupt but...Come on!

I can totally accept poor performances from ref''s from time to time. Even at the top level, they''re only human. But if they stubbornly side with the opposition on almost every occasion and seem to be enjoying the attention then they deserve every bit of abuse they get from the stand. That smirk from Simon Hooper as he disallowed Jerome''s goal at the start of the season has really stuck with me and would be a great image to bookmark this season with.

In my mind it isn''t bias, just incompetency.

Most Prem refs are in their 40s and are expected to keep pace/positioning with 22 top athletes. (I am aware that Football refs are trained to position themselves, on a pitch, but they are still missing a trick), but it still isn''t working effectively. How many Premiership football fans would (virtually) unanimously agree , who is a top Ref? Hardly any. Not since the days of Collina, has the World had a Ref who can control a game. These days there is way too much money riding on decisions by one middle aged man. It isn''t good enough

Linesmen need to be allowed to have their shackles off also.

All this comes down to the authorities, in my book, from zero tolerance, technology, to game management. (FTW- I have been a Rugby Ref and a Rugby Refs Assessor, so can empathise with what you say).

The Officials need help

Already today, Lee Mason, Craig Pawson and Kevin Friend have been questioned on their decision making, to the point of incredulity. It ALL needs addressing, and asap

You can add Anthony Taylor to that list apparently!

Of course its biased are you for real

Yes they need help, I suggest they all be given help walking blinfolded across a piranha infested swamp.

Just sick of being cheated, if anyone thinks we are not I am utterly gobsmacked

Clattenburg doing a great job showing how corrupt and/or incompetent thy are in the FA cup

Can we just please just advance robotics to the point where these "world class professionals" can go back to packing fruit into bags or clearing roadside rubbish or something more fitting their level of intelligence?

The two times he pulled Palace back after they broke and unlike him didn''t look to play any advantage was pretty dodgy. The Joel Ward one in particular was really odd. Not that I mind this time though, sod Palace, hate them.

Entertaining game though, Utd playing some really nice football and Palace breaking very quickly and being very physical is making it a good watch.

Agreed Buh, Clattenberg is the most corrupt ref out there. Wonder how much he has on a UTD win. Just totally unacceptable for a Ref to perform like this in a major cup final. Good luck to the Madrid teams in the Champs League final, how on earth did he get to ref that?

[quote user="Buh"]Clattenburg doing a great job showing how corrupt and/or incompetent thy are in the FA cup

Can we just please just advance robotics to the point where these "world class professionals" can go back to packing fruit into bags or clearing roadside rubbish or something more fitting their level of intelligence?[/quote]

This.

Clattenburg just WANTED to make a decision.

Interesting seeing him and Fergie having a laugh before the game. Master of the mind games is Sir Alex............

He put something on his top pocket!

Scandalous behaviour

And Rooney would have been off if he''d been ANY other player. Disgusting.

Incompetant and complicit in awful decisions because they know they''ll get away with it.

Hope the tide turns and they all flounce off on strike next year.