Sign in to follow this  
Jools

Daniel Ayala wins PFA Fans' Player of the Season in the Championship

A better centre-back than Bassong, Bennett and certainly Martin and would no doubt have helped our cause in the Premier this season [Y]Who was it who let him go? Oh, I remember, the same tw@t who paid a record fee for RVW [:@]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Hasn''t really played in the prem yet, let''s see how he does next season[/quote]I hear you, FenwayFrank, but one just knows that excepting Klose, Ayala will do better than our other central defenders did in the Premier.It''s as certain as night follows day.

Hughton put together Bassong and Turner which was the best central defensive partnership the club had had in years and years.

Ayala looked a good player but struggled defensively in the Prem. That said, I''d have preferred him over Bennett because he looked like he had a few more ideas with the ball.

[quote user="alartz"]We got rid because he was a tool and always on the physio bed[/quote]So he''s made 44 appearances and scored 6 times since joining Middlesbrough and now won PFA Fans'' Player of the Season in the Championship because they have better physios or what?You tell me?

[quote user="GJP"]Hughton put together Bassong and Turner which was the best central defensive partnership the club had had in years and years.[/quote]Oh, yeah right, we finished 11th because that season the bottom half teams were equally cr@p.If WBA & Man City weren''t already on the beach, we''d have gone down.Bassong & Turner our best central defending pairing in years! [:D] I''d rather of had Mike & Bernie Winters [:|]

Oh! And while we''re at it - who got rid of Andrew Surman? I''m really struggling with the fact that most of you on here didn''t only want Brighton to beat Wednesday the other night, but you actually yearned for them to get promoted! [:$]Makes one wonder when the penny is going to finally drop.

Never did understand why we sold Danny Ayala. I mentioned this on another thread in relation to Andrew Surman. Ryan Bennet and Ayala would have been a great pairing.

Think you will find he had many Carrow Road critics who basically decided after a couple of games he was c**p. Given plenty of stick so never managed time here ala Harry Kane described as the worst player to ever wear a Norwich shirt and Klose who was described as worse than Docherty.

Also my recollection of Ayala was not of the highest regard. As mentioned above never really settled or stayed fit enough for a regular spot in the starting line up. Seemed very composed on the ball but surprisingly rash when tackling, in fact I remember him being almost incapable of tacking properly..

Fair play that he''s gone on and made a name of himself, but not sure if that would''ve happened if he stayed here. Certainly don''t recall any dummy-throwing when we got rid of him.

[quote user="Walt kills mike"]Not to worry, if the club didn''t occasionally make poor decisions then you wouldn''t have any sticks to beat it with.

Think of the positives.[/quote]

Spot on. Did not see people talking about how good he / their defence were last year when we tore them apart at Wembley. You cant have it both ways laugh at him if ripped apart by Jerome and then say we should never have sold him because he was good in a division below us.

[quote user="Felixfan"]Never did understand why we sold Danny Ayala. I mentioned this on another thread in relation to Andrew Surman. Ryan Bennet and Ayala would have been a great pairing.[/quote]

That might have been ok in the Champs. In the Prem that''s getting you relegated, by a distance.

[quote user="julian hudson"]A better centre-back than Bassong, Bennett and certainly Martin and would no doubt have helped our cause in the Premier this season [Y]Who was it who let him go? Oh, I remember, the same tw@t who paid a record fee for RVW [:@][/quote]

Russell Martin was voted by his peers at the PFA to play cb in last season''s championship team of the season. Just sayin....

I''ve never witnessed a player with a more extraordinary streak of leg-breaking tackle in him than Ayala whilst he was here. I believe he actually injured himself at least once (for a good few weeks) making one of his human cannonball attempts.

However, this was a boy at the time. Rash and reckless, not quite able to stay fit long enough to prove why he shouldn''t be 5th or 6th choice.

5 years on and it seems he has grown into a decent player. It''s not like we could have given him the regular starts that Boro have, which has played a part in this development. Can''t have it both ways.

All clubs consistently let players go who eventually come good.

We have had some of our best seasons in the past on the back of Tottenham cast-offs.

Regular visitors to TWTD will have , like myself, enjoyed the manner in which the binmen regularly tear lumps of hair from their collective head about Roy Keane selling Jordan Rhodes on the cheap.

I have previously stated how impressed I have been with the form of Martin and Shackell (and Butterfield) at Derby.

Now we mourn Ayala, and someone has even muted the return of Korey Smith in one post today.

On the basis of the end justifying the means these might all now be seen as ''could have beens'' for the last season.

There is no worse end than relegation, so to now think that anyone of the above might have made a difference is a reasonable assumption, with the emphasis on the word "might."

ie. We could not have done any worserer.

Players such as Ayala come good because they have talent but need game time. Ayaa while he was with us was inconsistent and extremely injury prone, both of those together with being in the prem at the time meant he was never going to get the game time to develop. Good player now due to moving down.

[quote user="julian hudson"]Oh! And while we''re at it - who got rid of Andrew Surman? I''m really struggling with the fact that most of you on here didn''t only want Brighton to beat Wednesday the other night, but you actually yearned for them to get promoted! [:$]Makes one wonder when the penny is going to finally drop.[/quote]

Surman was sold when Adams was manager.

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="GJP"]Hughton put together Bassong and Turner which was the best central defensive partnership the club had had in years and years.[/quote]Oh, yeah right, we finished 11th because that season the bottom half teams were equally cr@p.If WBA & Man City weren''t already on the beach, we''d have gone down.Bassong & Turner our best central defending pairing in years! [:D] I''d rather of had Mike & Bernie Winters [:|][/quote]

No, we would still have been 2 points clear of relegation if we''d lost both games.

....is this not the award that Bamford won last season? Hmmm.

Ayala was just not here at the right time, wasn''t really a PL defender then, but has come good over recent seasons - still only at Champs level, though - so good luck to him

I and a lot of us on here felt he had potential when he was with us, the question is how long do you give a player to fulfil that potential ?

I remember when we loaned him to Forest and he spent most of the season on the sidelines either injured, or suspended after getting sent off for rash challenges.  He hasn''t been ready for the Prem until now, he has clearly come good in the Champ the last couple of seasons but we all saw he still has weaknesses in the playoff final.  Is he now ready for the step-up to Prem level ?  We''ll probably find out next year...

When he was here, he was simply not good enough. Times passed and he''s improved, good for him. Haven''t seen many Boro games but was always decent with the ball, it was the leg breaking tackles and poor timing in general that made him look clumsy and just incompetent.

Good luck to him, now comes the real test for him..

I''m still holding out on us resigning Dani Pacheco...ahhhhh, what could have been...

Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]I''m still holding out on us resigning Dani Pacheco...ahhhhh, what could have been... Apples[/quote]

I can still remember his goal in the 5-1 like it happened yesterday.  That gets you a lot of brownie points !

[quote user="Mr Angry"][quote user="julian hudson"]Oh! And while we''re at it - who got rid of Andrew Surman? I''m really struggling with the fact that most of you on here didn''t only want Brighton to beat Wednesday the other night, but you actually yearned for them to get promoted! [:$]Makes one wonder when the penny is going to finally drop.[/quote]

Surman was sold when Adams was manager.[/quote]

He was, but to be fair to Adams, Surman wanted to go back to Bournemouth after Hughton loaned him to them for a season. The damage was done, also I don''t think we have the courage or patience to play a Surman type player in the holding roll and be prepared to stick with it when it doesn''t always work.

Will be interesting to see Ayala in the prem, he was made a mug of by Jerome at Wembley and we''ve all see how Jerome performed at prem level.

A good CB, but, not proven at Prem level at all. We got rid of him because he was never fit! So, we''ll see what happens on that front. Better than Martin or Bassong? Hard to say really, he''s certainly not proven as better than either IMO. Let''s not forget to remember that slip at Wembley...