Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

The crapness of Scottish football

On BT sport, I am watching the Premiership playoff final 1st leg between Falkirk and Kilmarnock.

Apparently the winners get to play in the Scottish Premiership next season.

Anyway, it is appalling.

It is all played at 100mph with no obvious skill or subtlety from any of the players, and the amount of hoofing would make the 1980s Wimbledon side blush.

If this is the standard of the lower Scottish Premier League and lower divisions, then Scottish sport is in a lot of trouble and anyone with a bit of tactical nous and an ability to communicate could be a successful manager.

I am not convinced the Vanarama league is worse than this.

Let''s face it, the only reason Scottish players got any good in the past and less so now is owing to their plying their trade in the English Leagues - ditto for the Welsh & the Irish whose Leagues are equally as shit as the Scottish.Scotland does tend to yield good managers mind [Y]

The only way I can ever see football in that country improving is if a few other Scottish clubs get rich owners and buy their way to competing with Celtic/Rangers. There just isn''t any interest in that league outside scotland because there''s no games watching bar the old firm. If there were a few other competitive teams playing good football with a few well known players people would want to watch more, Sky would pay every SPL team more every year and the standard would rise.

Their income and level of exposure players receive means they''re competing with bottom league 1 teams for players. The big problem with that league is that there''s no money in it really.

Problem is who would invest in a Scottish team on the off-chance that it may eventually result in increased TV revenues? Championship teams surely a much more attractive proposition for anyone.

Both Hooper and Wolf were big goalscorers for big fish in little ponds. It is unsurprising that when up against quality opposition they failed woefully, with Wolf failing more than Hooper to be fair.

I would not buy any player from the Scottish leagues on last night''s showing. League Two at best.

To be fair, I did watch the second leg of the Falkirk-Hibs play-off last week and found it to be incredibly exciting with Falkirk scoring in injury-time to win the game 3-2. The quality was lacking though, to say the least.

Having seen a number of matches on TV this season, and a good number of the highlights shows, I''d certainly say that the lesser (!) teams probably aren''t too far removed from National League level. At best, I think you''d put Aberdeen - nominally Celtic''s closest challengers - as a decent League One team. When their main January signing was Simon Church that probably speaks volumes.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Yep, turning to a different channel will fix all the problems with Scottish football.

**facepalm**[/quote]
Haha [:D]

I''m a regular attender of Scottish football matches and the quality is pretty poor, but what exactly was anyone expecting?

With the significantly smaller crowds and TV income the clubs have to cut their cloth accordingly and this shows on the pitch. I''d agree with Graham that Aberdeen and Hearts may be top half of League 1.

One of my local teams is East Stirlingshire (just relegated from SPFL 2) and I''d put their quality at about that of Wroxham Town.

Apples

The majority of the teams in the Scottish leagues apart from Aberdeen and Inverness are a local bus ride away from either Hearts, Hibs Rangers and Celtic and apart from Edinburgh and Glasgow towns with a population similar to Thetford Yarmouth etc

There''s also a bit of a culture where people will not support their local team but go for one of the big(ish) boys instead (for whatever reason be it glory, religion, family, etc.).

While it''s not dying on it''s ar*se (and it is entertaining in a certain way), it''ll never reach the previous heights.

One good thing is increasingly the lower league teams are now run as Supporters Trusts so at least the link to the local community is retained.

Apples

I should also have added that watching some of these Scottish games should make you feel how lucky you are to support NCFC and the next time you think our situation is bleak go and sit and watch someone like Albion Rovers on a horrendous winter''s day in Coatbridge with about 300 people in the crowd.

Apples

Ohhhhhh yeeeeees!!!

A good feature of their ground is there is no segregation between the fans leaving the ground and the Officials making their way to their changing rooms...better entertainment than the football.

Apples

[quote user="julian hudson"]Let''s face it, the only reason Scottish players got any good in the past and less so now is owing to their plying their trade in the English Leagues - ditto for the Welsh & the Irish whose Leagues are equally as shit as the Scottish.Scotland does tend to yield good managers mind [Y][/quote]

Shame we havnt got one of them

[quote user="julian hudson"]Let''s face it, the only reason Scottish players got any good in the past and less so now is owing to their plying their trade in the English Leagues - ditto for the Welsh & the Irish whose Leagues are equally as shit as the Scottish.Scotland does tend to yield good managers mind [Y][/quote]

Shame we havnt got one of them

Hibs 3:2 Rangers with Police horses deployed at the end. Heard it was a boring game though. In general the quality isnt the best I agree, but you support you team and the results still count for pride and theres the odd bit of good play or 2. Saw a Queens Park player hit a 35 yard screamer the other day.

The game was far from boring, 5 goals, a 93rd minute winner, each team hitting the woodwork. However, it was made a good game by the fact that both defences were appalling!

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Yep, turning to a different channel will fix all the problems with Scottish football.

**facepalm**[/quote]

Sorry didn''t realise your OP was a root and branch investigation of Scottish football. Must''ve missed your tenure as chief exec of the SPFL.

Johnny Stump;

Well done to Hibs by the way.

NO, bad news that Hibs won the cup, shame it wash''t another 120 years before they win, the worst supporters in Scotland (not usually that many, must have picked up some Celtic fans along the way) Hate them as much as Ipswich.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]Yep, turning to a different channel will fix all the problems with Scottish football.

**facepalm**[/quote]

Sorry didn''t realise your OP was a root and branch investigation of Scottish football. Must''ve missed your tenure as chief exec of the SPFL.[/quote]

Root and branch.....haven''t heard that since the Turners. Whatever happened to them?