Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Neilometer

How long will Alex be given to prove himself next season?

Assuming relegation, I originally wanted it to be until the Winter window.

Our thoroughly abject display over those last few games has induced me to shorten this time.

We were fighting against relegation for Buddha''s sake. It could hardly have been more lacklustre.

Ten games for me. Then a decision will have to be made, for better or worse.

I note that one posting on here now demands nothing less than thirty six points from the first six games, which seems a bit unreasonable.

Some want him gone already, but what does the Neilometer say.

The first influence upon the meter will be his Summer dealings and his transfer policy so far being a bit ''iffy'' I will scrutinise events carefully by studiously dissecting every single movement. (smiley intended)

Let''s hope he gets a couple more games or so as a result.

Before this is all negatively viewed by the positive brigade as a ''stick to be the Club with'' I would suggest that this is all between ourselves and that not one of all the non-heroes- millionaroes will be concerned with what is printed on this site.

They will be spread about on various sunny beaches enjoying their ill-gotten gains.

Besides, I want that Neilometer to crash through the ceiling.

I''ve been supporting him all along but if we''re not looking good for at least the play offs by the start of December then he''s obviously not been getting the best out of the team and it would be time to change. This is all provided we have a decent window though and he has a decent team to work with. If we c0ck it up and he ends up with a poor team then we really might as well just stick it out.

Neil should have been brought in when Phelan was last time, we''d have probably gone up automatically if that had happened. Early to mid december is the time to change managers in time for them to asses the squad ahead of the window. If we''re outside the play offs and the team is naive and easy to beat like Adams'' team was then we should change then.

What is the Neilometer?

May I suggest:

10 - Neil Young

9 - Neil Armstrong

8 - Neil Gaiman

7 - Alexander O''Neil

6 - Neil Diamond

5 - Neil Tennant

4 - Neil from the Young Ones

3 - Neil Lennon

2 - Neil Kinnnock

1 - No More Neils

0 - Neil down and open wide

Top for me.

But "After the Gold Rush" should be changed to .just missed out on the Gold Rus. as far as City''s fortunes have gone this season.

Never mind, Rock and Roll is here to stay.

Yes, Neil Young is the ultimate Neil on the Neilometer.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is for me his best album though Harvest and After the Gold Rush are also excellent.

BroadstairsR wrote: "Ten games for me. Then a decision will have to be made, for better or worse."
I don''t see how the question "How many games should AN be given next season to prove himself?" can possibly be answered without first providing an answer to this prior one, namely "What is NCFC''s principle objective for the coming season?"
Most people posting about whether AN should be kept on, replaced or given this or that length of time, seem to assume that the principal objective for the coming season is an immediate return to the EPL. But what is the point of continuing the current futile cycle of ill-equipped promotion followed by relegation? The objective should surely rather be promotion as and when we are well-equipped to stay up and establish ourselves at the top level? That IMO is the context in which AN''s Norwich City future should be debated.

Let''s just assume that our principal objective, like most sides in the league, will be promotion. Some will have the aim of avoiding relegation.

The prospect of waiting until we consider ourselves well equipped to deal with the PL is galling in this quicksand of a league, whereby it seems that it doesn''t seem to take long to become a long term resident.

We will have the advantage of the parachute payments and a squad with Premier League experience to a greater or lesser extent, and dependent upon the events of the coming weeks, so we need to strike whilst the iron is hot.

Neither is being a yo-yo side a particular minus. Many would crave this status. It is more financially beneficial than stagnating in the Championship, more interesting and would, as in the case of WBA, provide a better opportunity of becoming established in that league than would the as and when and hit and miss preparation in the league below.

You can only become established at the top level by being in the top level as this is where top level players go.

Perhaps the question of Alex Neil''s durability is slightly premature and a bit negative as only Ricky Spanish has seen fit to answer it direct on, so to speak.

Wcc''s reply was a bit of a diversion.

If we should start the coming season badly then this Board will be full of such considerations.

Let''s hope we start well.

Why don''t we use tried and tested means of the past.

We''ll give him all summer to spend money and bring new players in, then sack him and bring in the manager of the first team who beats us!