Sign in to follow this  

No news yet on a new CEO and not any update on our search for one. Would be nice if we could have that update wouldn''t it ? Concerned that Alex Neil''s comments about the search for players not starting in earnest until after the Euros may be masking the fact we are struggling to find one. I am sure the board said it was an immediate priority.

It really is amazing, isn''t it? You read that report and concluded that "the search for players not starting in earnest until after the Euros ". Where has he said that?

Ok so he said the transfer market won''t heat up until after the euros. I would hope we are not waiting that long for a CEO to be appointed. My point is about the lack of news re that not our search for players which I am sure is on going as we speak. Surely TCCANARY you must be concerned re the lack of news coming out ''re this. Especially as Villa and even Bradford have announced deals in the past week.

Some people may be happy not knowing what''s going on but surely as fans we should be kept up to date

Why should we? Shareholders maybe but probably not, but your run of the mill fan(me)have no need to know what''s going on until it happens.

No, I''m not concerned at the "lack of news coming out" as the club have been very good in the past of reporting information when there''s something to report. Calm down, you''re getting a bit overwrought about nothing.

As I discussed on another thread the chances of a CEO being in post for this close season transfer window are extremely remote - given our owners lack of propensity to pay over the odds to free either non-playing or playing staff from existing contracts and the fact I assume we will get someone in who is in current employment and thus has a notice period / gardening leave to work out first.

On the latter, someone in that kind of position is unlikely to have a notice period of less than 6 months, more likely 12 months. So that is as good as a senior player''s transfer fee.

I''m afraid we go with Mr Stone for now - so prudence over financial matters will reign supreme! Some of you might well be happy with that.

[quote user="shefcanary"]As I discussed on another thread the chances of a CEO being in post for this close season transfer window are extremely remote - given our owners lack of propensity to pay over the odds to free either non-playing or playing staff from existing contracts and the fact I assume we will get someone in who is in current employment and thus has a notice period / gardening leave to work out first.

On the latter, someone in that kind of position is unlikely to have a notice period of less than 6 months, more likely 12 months. So that is as good as a senior player''s transfer fee.

I''m afraid we go with Mr Stone for now - so prudence over financial matters will reign supreme! Some of you might well be happy with that.[/quote]You''ve spot on there, shef. When I interviewed the directors today to see if I felt I should take the job they tried to fob me off with a second-hand private jet! Absolute cheapskates. They can''t possibly expect me actually to move back to Norfolk, so a certain standard of transport for the occasional flying visit is a necessity.

Given the board''s record of poor appointments I could see purple getting the job. Mind you why he''d need a plane to get to work from his tropical paradise in Mundesley seems odd.

Last three CEs were : -

Bob the Grocer

Doomcaster

McNally

Each of them were extremely successful appointments and took the club forward. In Doomcaster''s case it could be argued they kept him too long. But if you''re criricising the appointments Crafty I''d like to see your reasoning for them being poor. It most certainly can''t be performance related.

As there are unlikely to be any bargains until managers and scouts are back from the Euros, there''s probably no-one to answer the phone if we enquire.

The fact that we see no signs of activity doesn''t mean that Neil will not be engaged with others about who to keep and where the greatest needs are. He has to speak to borderline exit players, and there will probably be discussions on wages. Added to this, he is entitled to some holiday at some point.

I am as frustrated as anyone that we have not yet made exciting signings, but given the alleged Championship quality of much of the present squad I don''t expect many signings - in recent summers we have spread our spending too widely, with disappointing results. Very often we were late starting.

My hope is that by the end of the Euros we shall be in position to make offers and conduct negotiations, with the end result of two or three quality players arriving well before the season starts.

McNally was one of the highest paid directors in the country. You can easily check as directors pay is disclosed in the notes to the publised accounts of all clubs. Therefore like most criticism of the club it is absolutely wrong to suggest the club is not willing to pay over the odds when they think it makes sense. Of course it is also does not make senes to suggest we should pay over the odds when it is not necessary.

Why rush the appointment? Surely its even more vital to make the right appointment rather than just the quickest one? If we wanted a quick appointment, Steve Stone would have the job permanently by now. I believe its in hand and I trust that we will get it right. Delia, Michael etc have good contacts where this is concerned.

[quote user="shefcanary"]As I discussed on another thread the chances of a CEO being in post for this close season transfer window are extremely remote - given our owners lack of propensity to pay over the odds to free either non-playing or playing staff from existing contracts and the fact I assume we will get someone in who is in current employment and thus has a notice period / gardening leave to work out first.

I''m afraid we go with Mr Stone for now - so prudence over financial matters will reign supreme! Some of you might well be happy with that.[/quote]Shef, to be serious, I understand the point you are making, but I cannot think of any examples that back it up as far as the owners are concerned.

Are we not just waiting to see whether "The Donald" is victorious in November before approaching him?

Apples

Hi Purple

The main, albeit clumsily, put point I was trying to make was that no-one should expect an appointment of a CEO during the current transfer window. Unlike football management where all sorts of things happen (LVG sacked before negotiations with his supposed successor have apparently started versus our feeder club approaching all and sundry whilst the current incumbent is on holiday), senior company director movements tend to take quite an age (see Tesco / M&S for recent experience). Even throwing lots of money at it will not probably change anything.

As for the Board and splashing the cash, it depends on who you believe, but what exactly did happen with the bid for Brady last summer? And was it really because our transfer targets last summer did not sign because their existing club could not get their own transfer in away - maybe a little money may have loosened the chain and freed up all the transfers?

Is Stone a gambling man?

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Are we not just waiting to see whether "The Donald" is victorious in November before approaching him?

Apples[/quote]

Surely we''re waiting to see what happens on June 23rd and what politicians become available after the fall-out from that?

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="Mr Apples"]Are we not just waiting to see whether "The Donald" is victorious in November before approaching him?

Apples[/quote]

Surely we''re waiting to see what happens on June 23rd and what politicians become available after the fall-out from that?[/quote]

Gotta be a leftie, or our majority shareholder won''t be the slightest bit interested..... :-)

[quote user="shefcanary"]Hi Purple

The main, albeit clumsily, put point I was trying to make was that no-one should expect an appointment of a CEO during the current transfer window. Unlike football management where all sorts of things happen (LVG sacked before negotiations with his supposed successor have apparently started versus our feeder club approaching all and sundry whilst the current incumbent is on holiday), senior company director movements tend to take quite an age (see Tesco / M&S for recent experience). Even throwing lots of money at it will not probably change anything.

As for the Board and splashing the cash, it depends on who you believe, but what exactly did happen with the bid for Brady last summer?
And was it really because our transfer targets last summer did not sign because their existing club could not get their own transfer in away - maybe a little money may have loosened the chain and freed up all the transfers?

Is Stone a gambling man?[/quote]Shef, I understand that kind of case but that was almost certainly McNally, entirely in charge of negotiations, playing hardball. I doubt the owners had anything to do with the tactics of how to spend the transfer budget.And with, in another case, our talks with Colchester over the compensation for Lambert et al I strongly suspect it was McNally and Bowkett (probably as much Bowkett) who - again - tried to get away with very low bids, and in that case landed us with a guilty tribunal verdict and a large bill. My understanding is that Smith and Jones were not at all pleased by what had been done in their name.So I don''t think either case (or any other I can think of) is relevant to what you are talking about, given that McNally and Bowkett are both gone, and that it will be Smith and Jones, Balls and the rest who will be negotiating (rather than delegating) what is a one-off payment, assuming the McNally replacement we target is under contract elsewhere.I don''t think they will be afraid to spend the required amount if that gets them the right person (not least because they have probably learned well from the questionable McNally-Bowkett approach), and I can certainly see someone arriving well before the transfer window shuts.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Hi Purple The main, albeit clumsily, put point I was trying to make was that no-one should expect an appointment of a CEO during the current transfer window. Unlike football management where all sorts of things happen (LVG sacked before negotiations with his supposed successor have apparently started versus our feeder club approaching all and sundry whilst the current incumbent is on holiday), senior company director movements tend to take quite an age (see Tesco / M&S for recent experience). Even throwing lots of money at it will not probably change anything. As for the Board and splashing the cash, it depends on who you believe, but what exactly did happen with the bid for Brady last summer? And was it really because our transfer targets last summer did not sign because their existing club could not get their own transfer in away - maybe a little money may have loosened the chain and freed up all the transfers? Is Stone a gambling man?[/quote]

His previous employer was a Bookmaker.

Alex Neil quotes on the official site today:
ALEX Neil is happy with the short-term measures in place as he makes all the preparations necessary for City''s assault on Sky Bet Championship promotion next season. 

City are currently without a permanent Chief Executive following David McNally''s resignation earlier this month, but Neil has been working with the Board and interim CEO Steve Stone to get the ball rolling in terms of his plans for the 2016-17 campaign. 

Steven Whittaker signed a new one-year deal with the Club on Monday, and Neil said this week: "We know the situation and have a structure in place now, whether it is to deal with bringing in players, letting players go or renegotiating contracts. 

"Those discussions pretty much started immediately. We’ve found ourselves with a good solution at this moment in time because we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to go back up." 
Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/alex-neil-norwich-city-3123472.aspx#Jdgz8jD5KeBvjmgM.99

So lead story today is that headhunters employed. I''ve no problem with that as it will flush out people who might not otherwise have considered it. If they are worth their salt they will already have a number of candidates on their books; if not they will be in contact with the right people. They will also pre-screen any candidates to ensure they have the competencies required for the role, if not the loyalty.

The cost to the club of this - c. £100K (15-20% of the first year salary). It should be money well spent. My only question is how big is the talent pool out there in the first place - there are only 44 teams in the top two tiers after all so it is likely that given the mandate of the search discussed by Balls, they are likely to be in post at a competitor club already.

Still it should accelerate the search and interview process but in my view it is still unlikely the new CEO will be in post before the start of the season. My assumption is that if the CEO is an existing football man, then the former club will probably insist on notice being worked (or at least gardening leave) to ensure no competitive advantage UNLESS they can benefit from a player deal of some kind.

So, its sail along with Cap''n Stone for the time being.

Have to praise the Board in many ways, for keeping the good bird Canary in good shape and in a stable form. To suffer what even Ed Balls called a double whammy of relegation and loss of CEO in a few days, could of spelt disaster for some clubs, thinking of the Portsmouths and Boltons for example. Also anyone foolish enough to believe TSF;s garbage on Twitter last week would already suspect we are doomed.Everyone has their own opinions on Delia and hubby, but what they do is keep a steady hand on the yo yo, to stop it flying off in different directions. Finding a new CEO, sorting a new sponsor, dealing with the changes at Colney, never mind all the ins and outs of the footballers themselves, there is lots happening at City and its to their credit that Delia and the Board go about things in such a professional way.As to the ins and outs of the players, pretty clear now Alex is wanting to retain all players at the club, meaning the only ones to leave are Wisdom, Mbok and Turner, and any other player leaving will only go under the "offer we could not refuse" scenario. As to new players joining, thats anybodys guess. One of the busiest club employees could be Neil Adams, with so many loans coming home now that the season is over.So, for the club themselves, lots to do. For the fans, i suspect a quiet close season, with incomings to be few, but hopefully of quality. Outgoings unknown, Still we have the Euros to look forward to, and England with their exciting attacking line up...and Swiss Cheese defence....;)