Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Bring Embokanee home

"However I don''t think he will come and also thing the money spent on him could be better invested when talking about strikers."

He knows us and his comments have been positive. He now has no club

I defy anybody to forecast that he won''t score bucket loads in the Chumps. It''s as near a certainty as can be had in this respect.

Pay out that little bit more. It''s what the parachutes are for and what real ambition is all about.

"He won''t go to any second tier side. Forget it!"

Opinion or fact CC?

His age mitigates against him being too choosy.

He knows us,

Like you I don''t think it will happen, but I would be that little bit more positive about us next season should he return.

After just one season ... of being sporadically picked ... what would appeal when richer / top tier sides globally make offers to this free agent?

Sign on fee would be massive, and then if we don''t go back up after 1 season we''ve got a player on mega wages we might not be able to shift.

Would absolutely love him back but Norwich aren''t going to pay mega wages transfer fee or not unfortunately.

Apparently has the same agent as vadis though, might help things.

Wasnt he quoted as not wanting to stay if we went down?

Not for me in any event, too inconsistent, couldnt keep his place ahead of grabban and jerome, and his good performances were outweighed by ineffective ones; if he was 22 it might be a different story; at 30 we should look elsewhere.

Can''t find anything from Kiev or himself that says he has been released. He does indeed have another year on his contract too.

Does the OP have a link to a story confirming this or is this just a twitter/ social media rumour?

"And if we are planning for the future, he didn''t really prove himself at PL level on a consistent basis."

I cannot agree with that.

We should be planning for an immediate return and this player would be a major asset, whatever the cost.

Our priority surely must be promotion, whilst we have a fair sprinkling of Premier League players and the taint of Premier League is still around the Club.

If we go up we will have the funds to consider "planning" but the alternative is years in the Chumps, forever planning for the future with diminishing income meaning that the future becomes remoter by the season.

Hit or bust. We need to get back up. Mbokani would be a strong adversary in our favour.

We know him, he knows us.

Mbokani was excellent.....1 game out of 3.
Now we''re dropping down a level that might improve. But he''s already quoted as saying he doesn''t want to be here if we went down.
He could do a job as a back-up striker to a low prem team I reckon. Not much more than that.

I''d have him in a shot. Where on earth do we persuade someone better than him to play in this division? What is this planning for the future thing? The future is the Championship unless we can get out.

In my opinion one of the reasons we came down was because we didn''t play him enough last season. AN''s chopping and changing the front line never game him the chance of really establishing himself. Instead we played Jerome far too often and ended up ruing those glaring misses that cost vital points.

What was Mbokani''s goal to game ratio last season? If you consider Jerome got us 20 goals in the last Championship season then think what Mbokani would do.

Unfortunately I can''t see it happening but I live in hope.

I agree with Broadstairs on this one.

He looked better than Jerome in the PL. Jerome scored plenty in the Champs. Therefore it must be likely that MBok will be even more effective in the Champs. And "better the devil you know" etc.......

As for inconsistency, name one player who wasn''t inconsistent last season. OK, some were consistently bad, but were any really given the chance in an ever rotating line up to be consistently bad?

Even Ruddy got dropped for a bit. I felt sorry for many of the squad this season gone as they rarely had time to gel and show their true worth. Wesley H and Redmond both looked lost at times and great at others. Brady looked a match winner then got moved to defence for some bizarre reason.

If there is any chance we can get him I think it should be done. I just can''t imagine us being able to afford the fees and wages of anyone materially better.

I believe Rafa also said he wouldn''t stay with Newcastle if they went down and he''s been persuaded to stay.

This guy is quality (just look at his finish against Watford) and would frighten Championship defenders to death - would be a great signing.

I think young and hungry needs to be the mantra for signings this season and he is not that. I think we have enough experience in our squad, the squad feels stale though and needs young enthusiasm. Mbokani won''t see this as a dream move, more a nice place to live and pick up wages.

For those people who keep saying that we are a Championship side and that Mbokani will be good in that league, what happens then?

If he''s good enough to help get us promoted, do we then cancel his contract because he, like Jerome proved last season, may be good enough for the Championship but not for the Premier League. Neither of them are prolific enough.

It is no good building a Championship team that will not be good enough if it achieves what is required.

It will only result in a team of Championship players returning to the Championship!

Everything must be built with an eye to the future.

Whitts staying on as back up right back, probably on a reduced contract is not a problem. When we play slower/ narrower teams he''s a great option. Yes he gets rinsed for pace but that''s when we play Pinto instead. The fact he can slot in at LB if we need as well is useful and if Redmond does stay, he brings out the best in him.

As for Mbok... yes primarily I want young and hungry players but first and foremost I want good enough players. If Mbok is willing to join us on a reasonable wage, he would be a real asset at this level.

[quote user="Yellow Wal"]For those people who keep saying that we are a Championship side and that Mbokani will be good in that league, what happens then?

If he''s good enough to help get us promoted, do we then cancel his contract because he, like Jerome proved last season, may be good enough for the Championship but not for the Premier League. Neither of them are prolific enough.

It is no good building a Championship team that will not be good enough if it achieves what is required.

It will only result in a team of Championship players returning to the Championship!

Everything must be built with an eye to the future.[/quote]

Well no, we then use our premiership status to try attract another better striker and Mbokani becomes the capable no.2 striker. He showed he''s capable last season with 7 goals in 29 games with a fair amount of them off the bench.

First and foremost, let''s get into the premiership again before worrying about our premiership side...

TJ has hit the nail on the head with his final point, get promotion first and recruit effectively at that point.

Apples

I can understand the idea that it would be good to get some younger players into the first team squad, who have potential to improve the following season IF we get promoted. 

But the Champs is a tough league so experienced players are vital as well.  Mbokani has the physique and overall game to make him an outstanding player in the Champs, so if we can sign him on sensible terms it would make loads of sense.

It will be a lot easier to sign better players after promotion, so let''s get real about this "long term planning" idea.

Forget Mbokani we need to free up player wages so we can offer the next appointed CEO an over inflated/gargantuan salary.......(plus bonus and expenses for abject failure, if required).......

Out with this planning for the future malarky we need to get up straight away for the big money that will enable us to start planning even more than we already do.

We have been planning in any case. What were the signings of Madison, Thompson, McGrandles and a couple of others for?

The Murphys, Toffolo, orris represent decent planning as well.

ITFC seem to have been ''planning'' forever and 16 consecutive seasons in the Chumps is their reward. We have more resources. Use them.

Get back up with short term, expensive measures than we know will give us the best of possible chances.

Mbokani is one of those.

I disagree with the above few posts.  If the main is to solely to get promoted, then yes go ahead like we seem to be, worrying now about trying to get promoted then if we do indeed get promoted worry about the Premiership then.  The problem with this is however that we will be faced with exactly the same problem that we have had on our previous 2 promotions, especially the last one.  If we want to go up and give ourselves the best possible chance of staying there then we would not be going about it the right way.As someone on here keeps mentioning.  If you keep doing what you''ve been doing, you''re going to keep getting what you''ve been getting.Don''t let the extra TV money fool you, we aren''t going to go up and replace the whole squad and if we go up again with the same team that has failed twice previously, don''t be surprised if we end up back where we started.  We need to have a clear strategy and direction in which the club wants to go and long-term planning has to start if we are serious about getting there, whilst obviously getting promoted being the most immediate priority.

NBS - I get your point of us being a yo-yo team but we weren''t far off this season just gone. Klose in summer and one more decent striker and we would have comfortably stayed in the league.

If we go up this season, we''d make a better go at it IMO.

Nbs

"We need to have a clear strategy and direction in which the club wants to go and long-term planning has to start if we are serious about getting there, whilst obviously getting promoted being the most immediate priority."

Yes, posted something similar on another thread.

We need a plan and a commitment to a style of play that the squad will buy in to, we should then be looking to buy younger players that will fit the style and who can develop within it.

If we do then get promoted we will have a team that is capable of continuing to improve rather than one that stagnates and loses its way.