Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Wes Hoolahan

I''m struggling to come to terms with anyone advocating the removal of Hoolahan from our squad over summer. I''ve read countless posts on here from many different posters telling us how he''s past it now and I just don''t get it.

It frustrates me so much to see such a large portion of our fans feeling this way. Every single time he gets injured or sidelined he gets a chorus on here from supporters who believe his time is finally up. Every single time he has to come out and prove himself to a section of our fans who seem intent on putting him down and doubting him. Every single time he does it, he shows everyone what he''s still capable of and once again the negativity regarding his future resides. Why does it happen? It''s almost as though he''s become unfashionable for some posters to like.

Tonight I thought he was everywhere, he hassled, he harried, he demanded the ball, he won countless freekicks, he was a constant attacking outlet and a thorn in the Watford side. His body language as wel is always so positive, he seems to have that same playground excitement coursing through him that we all had back at school. He''s a joy to watch! And that''s not even to mention he was played out of position tonight!

Yes he''s lacking the stamina he had and yes he has his off days, but I just can''t quite understand how people can justify getting rid of him on ANY level. He offers something so different to any other player, I firmly believe he will once again play a pivotal role for us next season - at the very least he would be a superb game-changing option to have on the bench.

Those of you who have previously mentioned wanting to get rid, why? Seriously?

Maddison will only benefit from having Wes here next season.

Great player and a must stay.

Let''s be honest we have some very good youngsters coming back, Murphy twins, Maddison & Thompson, all ready to push the first team in the Championship.

keep him and a youngster gets less game time then if we do go up the younger player has no experience

we need to build a younger fresher team so when or if we go up with a team that has played together and be drilled into a system /style

if we play all the players we have now next time we go up we will have same problem as now

like we all know jerome will score quite a few next year but no good in premier

no the last thing we need to do is gut out the team and replace it with good young players. Take Fulham as an example.

I don''t disagree norfolkngood but there is a middle ground between not having Hoolahan at all, and him playing constantly and keeping youngsters out the side.

He was hugely involved for us tonight and would be a great plan B to have as well as, as Indy mentions, being a great mentor for Maddison. Not much use getting rid of him in hope that the youngsters will pull through as we really do not know if they''ll make it yet! Best off keeping hold of him and then using him more should our up-and-coming players not quite cut the mustard.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]keep him and a youngster gets less game time then if we do go up the younger player has no experience

we need to build a younger fresher team so when or if we go up with a team that has played together and be drilled into a system /style

if we play all the players we have now next time we go up we will have same problem as now

like we all know jerome will score quite a few next year but no good in premier[/quote]I think that next season will be an ideal opportunity to mix our young and hungry lads like the Murphys, Maddison, Morris, Thompson, Toffolo, McGrandles with experienced players like Wes, Cam, Tettey, O''Neill, Martin, Olsson etc. We need to add some quality, especially at center back, but we have a pretty good squad going forwards, even if we lose Brady, Redmond, Howson and Klose (which isn''t a given as three of those players have two relegations on their cvs).

Probably just me but when he went off he did a double take and suddenly realised he should applaud all the fans. To me it seemed like it was a goodbye and thanks wave. Probably just me though, we''ll see!

Keith Scott wrote the following post at 11/05/2016 10:22 PM:

To be honest the only person on this forum who doesn''t rate Hoolahan is Morty, which says it all really........

-------------------------

You''re in for it now :D

Totally agree with the comment above about Maddison learn from Wes...that''s got to be good news. Hopefully Maddison to be out long term Wes replacement. He can''t play every game but we have always looked an inferior side without Wes working his magic!

I''d like to think he''ll stay until he retires. Invaluable for us and in my opinion underused at times this season. Especially if Naismith leaves Hooligan will be key next year once again

If we can get a 2 footed younger option then it will be time to part ways.

If we can''t then he gets another year.

I hope we get rid of Naismith, 6 million and room for Maddison.

The same for Bassong, Redders, Mulumbu and Jarvis, with Murphy twins back they have more to offer than Jarvis next year.

Whitts, Turner and Laffs will all go and RVW will be back into his final year.

If we can keep Ruddy, Klose, Olsson, Pinto, Martin, Bennett, Howson, Tettey, Jerome, Wes, add Murphy''s, Maddison, Thompson then sign a couple good quality CB''s and a couple younger strikers we won''t be far off the top of the Champioship.

[quote user="Keith Scott"]To be honest the only person on this forum who doesn''t rate Hoolahan is Morty, which says it all really........[/quote]

A message to Keith Scott you are wrong.

What’s it says is that you can’t contemplate someone having a different opinion to yours.

You can me to the list of those that don’t rate Hoolahan.

Tonight was an easy ride for all the players, as most of the opposition were wearing flip-flops.

But if the OP had said that if only Redmond had played more games we might be staying in the division then it would make sense to me. Can’t say the same about Hoolahan.

And in my opinion Tettey would be way ahead of Hoolahan for POTS if only he hadn’t got injured.

Those that do rate Hoolahan also seem to rate Maddison.

Why? No one has seen him play. Five full matches for Coventry and he’s obviously a world class talent who is going to take the Championship by storm. Total lack of logic.

And norfolkbroadslim is in the same boat, “anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot”.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Probably just me but when he went off he did a double take and suddenly realised he should applaud all the fans. To me it seemed like it was a goodbye and thanks wave. Probably just me though, we''ll see![/quote]Well that is an interesting comment Ron as both me and the guy who sits beside me thought there were a few more extra hugs and high fives with Wes amongst the dugout out players and coaching staff when he came off. Far more than usual for a substitution.

You can always count on Hoolahan to provide chances. Even though we have struggled to finish this season he has contributed massively in fairly limited game time. I would have played him more, Redmond too as they are the only players we have who can do something brilliant. I checked out the assist charts and Wes is 11th. Same number as Barkley, 1 off De Bruyne and Dele Alli.

Iwan''s Big Toe wrote the following post at 11/05/2016 10:41 PM:

I think that next season will be an ideal opportunity to mix our young and hungry lads like the Murphys, Maddison, Morris, Thompson, Toffolo, McGrandles with experienced players like Wes, Cam, Tettey, O''Neill, Martin, Olsson etc

Why would we want to play a group of L1 standard youngsters, I for one want to get promoted not relegated ?

[quote user="Syteanric"]If we can get a 2 footed younger option then it will be time to part ways.

If we can''t then he gets another year.[/quote]

There is no such animal, and if there was, he wouldn''t be coming to Norwich.

Wes must stay. Plenty still to offer. We need to maintain some continuity.

We have to keep Hooly. He destroys teams in the chump. Why do people think we''ll be keeping Olsson. With the euros both him and Brady are the first I see leaving, even before the injured Klose.

Put it this way, we havent been able to sign anyone better than him when weve been in the prem. Chances of us doing it in tbe Champs even less so.

Was excellent again last night.

In the championship he''ll get the extra yard he needs and he''ll be brilliant

We need him more than he needs us at this point

The only reason people can possibly have a grudge against him is because he got in a huff a couple of years ago, asked to leave and then didn''t celebrate when he scored at Aston Villa. You''d think people would get over it by now really. He only ever wanted to play football, the fact he signed a contract after we were relegated two years ago is testament to that.

Only two players have scored more goals than him this season. Nobody has got anywhere near the number of assists he has. If you work out the difference between the goals we have scored (and conceded as we generally keep hold of the ball better when he''s in the team) with him on the pitch and without him it''s incredibly stark. Too stark to be a coincidence.

He''s not getting any younger but he''s contracted for another year and we''d be crazy to get rid of him at this stage, especially as he will hopefully be a kind of mentor for James Maddison who - all being well - will eventually succeed him.

A genuine club legend, in my eyes.

you bring young players into a team alongside the experienced players - to help bring them along.

Maddison (and others) is a great prospect but, as with the murphys last season, he is unlikely to perform well all season before having a dip, having the option is the way ahead if he wants to stay.

My info is he does - but it is a long summer ahead.

Great experience of the championship and promotions and has good skill and composure. A must keep at least until we have a proven adequate replacement, but even then we need cover for injuries !!! To get rid would be absolutely daft.