Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Marcus Rashford

He plays for Manchester United, has a handful of games and even less goals in the Premier League and has scored on his debut for England. Lets make him England captain. Who needs Vardy and/or Kane who have be a constant thorn in the side of top flight defences for the last two seasons when we have Marcus? [:P]

To be fair, what more could the guy do? Yes I''d rather a 100% fit sturridge but people moan we don''t puck form players so what''s wrong with Rashford? I couldn''t give a toss if he is 18 and only played about 20 senior games. The guy is a bloody great striker! Well worth the gamble off the bench imo.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]To be fair, what more could the guy do? Yes I''d rather a 100% fit sturridge but people moan we don''t puck form players so what''s wrong with Rashford? I couldn''t give a toss if he is 18 and only played about 20 senior games. The guy is a bloody great striker! Well worth the gamble off the bench imo.[/quote]I wasn''t saying that he''s a bad player. To be honest I haven''t seen enough of him to know how good he is. I think that is the point, no one has really seen much of him as the guy is 18 and has only been playing in the Manure 1st team for 6 months. He may have bags of potential, but there are a long line of players that had lots of potential that went unfulfilled. So what more can he do? Plenty. Score goals in the Premier League consistently over the next couple of seasons for a start. Lets hope that he does become a player in the same class as Pele, Eusebio, Zidane

or Cryuff. However, the young mans still has a long way to go, one swallow does not a summer make. Give him time to develop as a player and, more importantly imo, as a man before raising him to the status of messiah of English football, as the English press are prone to do with any young player that shows the slightest promise.

If you''ve not seen enough of him then why are you taking the pi$$ out of him?

Seen him play up front and and out wide and looks like he has a big future. I''m sure there were quite a few people writing such witty things about Michael Owen before 1998, he produced the moment of the tournament aged 18.

I think IwansBT has a point. If Rashford had the same 6 months at Stoke he wouldn''t have got near the England team.

He was OK against a weakened Australia team, but his passing and first touch were not good. Comparing him to Rooney shows how far he has to go. I''m not a fan of Sturridge, but he has more ability than Rashford at the moment - not sure about the lads work ethic though.

Only Rooney and Townsend did their chances any good last night - and what on earth has happened to Barkley - another over hyped youngster?

[quote user="hertfordyellow"]If you''ve not seen enough of him then why are you taking the pi$$ out of him?

Seen him play up front and and out wide and looks like he has a big future. I''m sure there were quite a few people writing such witty things about Michael Owen before 1998, he produced the moment of the tournament aged 18.[/quote]Read my post again. He''s 18 and has played a handful of senior games, NO ONE has seen enough of him. I am not singling out Rashford but the point I am making is that every time a half decent young English player breaks into the Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea team they are almost immediately elevated to status of world beater by the press.And for every Micheal Owen there are many more like Freddy Adu, Denilson, Thomas Brolin, Francis Jeffers, Luke Chadwick, Lee Sharpe, Keith Gillespie, Jermaine Pennant, or Jack Rodwell,. Shall I go on??? All were said to be the next big thing, and many made their international debuts at young ages, and none ever became the world beater they were "destined" to be.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="hertfordyellow"]If you''ve not seen enough of him then why are you taking the pi$$ out of him?

Seen him play up front and and out wide and looks like he has a big future. I''m sure there were quite a few people writing such witty things about Michael Owen before 1998, he produced the moment of the tournament aged 18.[/quote]Read my post again. He''s 18 and has played a handful of senior games, NO ONE has seen enough of him. I am not singling out Rashford but the point I am making is that every time a half decent young English player breaks into the Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea team they are almost immediately elevated to status of world beater by the press.And for every Micheal Owen there are many more like Freddy Adu, Denilson, Thomas Brolin, Francis Jeffers, Luke Chadwick, Lee Sharpe, Keith Gillespie, Jermaine Pennant, or Jack Rodwell,. Shall I go on??? All were said to be the next big thing, and many made their international debuts at young ages, and none ever became the world beater they were "destined" to be.

[/quote]Brolin doesn''t deserve to be in that list. He a great career (27 goals in 47 games for Sweden) until he broke his ankle when he was 25, which probably cost Parma the Serie A title. He was never the same player again, but at his peak he was one of the best attacking midfielders/strikers in Europe. That apart, I take your point about players with certain clubs being vastly overpraised.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="hertfordyellow"]If you''ve not seen enough of him then why are you taking the pi$$ out of him?

[/quote]Brolin doesn''t deserve to be in that list. He a great career (27 goals in 47 games for Sweden) until he broke his ankle when he was 25, which probably cost Parma the Serie A title. He was never the same player again, but at his peak he was one of the best attacking midfielders/strikers in Europe. That apart, I take your point about players with certain clubs being vastly overpraised.[/quote]I think Brolin has a place on that list as he definitely didn''t fulfill his full potential. There are others who came back strong after serious injury. Shearer for example snapped his ACL when he was 22 and ended up setting Premier League goals scoring records. Again though, it''s nothing personal against Brolin, just using him as an example.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]

I think Brolin has a place on that list as he definitely didn''t fulfill his full potential. There are others who came back strong after serious injury. Shearer for example snapped his ACL when he was 22 and ended up setting Premier League goals scoring records. Again though, it''s nothing personal against Brolin, just using him as an example.

[/quote]He had quite fulfilled all his potential until that injury and was regarded  - to throw your phrase back at you - as a world-beater. Your argument was he never became that. He did. It is nonsense to include someone who scored in the 1990 and 1994 World Cup finals on a list alongside players (Luke Chadwick?! Francis Jeffers?!) who never made it not because of injury but because they just weren''t very good, no matter how much they got hyped.

I did read your post, the England squad used to be just anyone from the big 4, look at the squad for the Euro''s now? Hodgson has picked players on form not club reputation.

Also it is much harder to break into the Man Utd than Stoke. When you play at Old Trafford for a club so in the spotlight you are brought up with the same pressure you get at international level.