Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Whits signs new deal

A big reason I think this is a good move is his versatility. Let''s not forget he''s a reasonable left back as well so we have cover for both flanks and frees up cover for CB (Martin) with this one extension.

Yellow and Green wrote: "It''s frustrating. It''s another situation where the majority of the fans are scratching their head''s, wondering what it is that we''re missing."
Brain cells? [:P] [:D]

Hogesar wrote:

''''Perfectly sensible decision and can''t understand the aggro from others on here. What are people expecting? We need cover, we have proven experience available and don''t have to cough up a transfer fee. Ideal to me.

Oh, and if we''d let him go on a free i''m sure another Championship club would easily see him into their starting eleven. God, the bashing our club would get if he performed well in that hypothetical scenario! ''''

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Precisely, fans on this thread wanting to see the club progress, what exactly are they advocating the club do here? We are all pretty much unanimous in our agreement that Pinto will be first choice right back next season. Surely we have therefore progressed in this position as Whittaker has shifted from being a first team regular, in the champs last time, to being back up?

What are those against this contract extension proposing we do? Spend 2-3mil of our budget on another right back? We bought Pinto in January, so any such move would render at least one of the purchases a waste of money as one of the two finds himself on bench!

Or should we ship out Whittaker completely for another back-up? Frankly this seems a completely pointless waste of our time and resources, we know Whittaker is at least half decent at this level and will be more than adequate as back-up or in the cup games, why would we not take this up as an option and allow ourselves to focus on more important areas of the field?

Yes, the club needs to progress, of course, but we don''t need don''t need a revolution at right back, that''s not our problem area - we''ve got Pinto who will hopefully blossom in the champs. Lets focus our attentions on progressing the club in areas that actually need progressing - such as - up front, centre back and right midfield (providing Redmond and Klose leave).

The bemoaning of this decision is classic supporters-feeling-aggrieved-at-poor-season-so-ridicule-the-club-at-any-change-and-even-better-including-their-resident-scapegoat.

should read

*The bemoaning of this decision is classic supporters-feeling-aggrieved-at-poor-season-so-ridicule-the-club-at-any-chance-and-even-better-including-their-resident-scapegoat.

I think it''s an excellent signing for the coming Championship season. Cover in both full back positions and he is capable of popping up with the odd goal.

People have been quick to complain that we didn''t recruit for the league that we were in when we were in the Prem, this is sensible recruitment for the league we are now in.

IF we get promoted, I''d expect us to look for better. Right now, this feels ok to me.

I see more than one poster in this topic talking about Whitts re-signing as making perfect sense...of course it does, this is NCFC and this is what they do, absolutely no vision whatsoever. Also read guys saying  at least 10 Champs clubs would take Whitts at drop of of a hat. Of course they would, he is a perfect player for a Fulham or a Rotherham and no doubt would help  them avoid relegation. If this is Alex starting his freshening up of our squad, its a bizarre way to start.Having said all that, Steven Whittaker is a City player for another year, so i wish for him a good and successful season ahead, i will of course opinionate about him on any team performances just like anyone else, and if he has some stonking turn outs, i will credit him so.

wcorkcanary wrote the following post at 23/05/2016 11:31 PM:

And he can play in midfield too!!!

😄😙

"A useful thread this.... for sorting out posters with some common sense, and the views of some others."

A long thread with nearly forty replies.

I''ve never minded Whittaker in the slightest but assumed him to be the number one scapegoat.

There are a lot of positives towards the player in this thread.

The bottom line seems to be that had we survived he would be gone but that he will be a useful player to have on board for the Championship.

This was a sensible and good decision IMO. I think the point is Essjayess that Whits will be our reserve right back, whereas he would be a starter for the likes of Rotherham etc.

The concern is more what we do with the remaining defenders; who will end up being in the starting 11. In particular I hope we end up keeping Pinto and Kloser. Obviously if they go and we end up starting Whits and Martin most weeks that would be a serious problem but there is no need to draw that conclusion from this piece of business.

We''ll see how this fits in later when other sales and signings are concluded.

If Pinto is staying, and continues to improve, this is a very logical signing.

If Redmond leaves it will perhaps enable AN to play a formation using wing-backs, for which Pinto/Whittaker and Olsson/Brady are more suited.

Play three at the back with one central defender sweeping, and go with two up front.

This will not be a season for chopping and changing formation to counteract the opposition - go for goals and go for glory.

I don''t see the problem with this. We just signed a first choice right back so it wouldn''t make sense to release Whits just to sign another squad player, particularly when he played well in the Championship last time and contributed to our promotion.

Surely the key point here is that he''s signed for ONE year. The year in question we will be playing in the Championship.

If we signed a player from a playoff winning team instead of keeping one, would there be the same complaints?

I''m not upset that Whittaker has been given a years contract......Give the guy a chance, he won''t be first choice but a useful cover for the injured and players that have suspensions.....

I don''t have an issue with Whits staying while we are at championship level. I do however find a few things curious about why he would want to sign if he''s not gong to be first choice? presumably he must feel he has a real chance of playing or I think he''d be moving on. Which raises question over Pinto, unless Pinto is going move further up the pitch.

I would assume he''s been told by AN that it will be between him and Pinto for RB (unless Pinto is thinking he wants to leave) and that RM is going to be preferred at CB.

Whitts is also good cover for LB too

This is a guy who by the end of the season would probably have been considered our 4th choice RB, behind Wisdom, Pinto and Martin. Two of those players are still here. The only reason to resign him is if Martin is going to be seen mainly as a centre back. This is worrying as as far as I''m concerned he should be 4th choice CB so able to give cover at RB too.

[quote user="king canary"]This is a guy who by the end of the season would probably have been considered our 4th choice RB, behind Wisdom, Pinto and Martin. Two of those players are still here. The only reason to resign him is if Martin is going to be seen mainly as a centre back. This is worrying as as far as I''m concerned he should be 4th choice CB so able to give cover at RB too.[/quote][Y]

But at the start of the season he was our 1st choice RB and we looked a better side for it.

[quote user="GJP"]But at the start of the season he was our 1st choice RB and we looked a better side for it.[/quote]
Probably fair, although I think Pinto looks a step up from him.

Yeah, I like the look of Pinto. Though I''m not sure he has done anything Whittaker hasn''t. Yet.

No agreed, my ''step up'' is based a bit of the hypothetical belief that he''ll have adjusted to our team and England more so, whilst being younger than whitts and having more pace too.

What''s disappointing for me in this signing is that we don''t have anyone better waiting in the wings at youth/reserve level. Our defence has been bad for the last 3 years (longer actually) but we continue to buy/develop youth players in the midfield area. I find it strange that we do not have a balanced approach across all areas of our team and if Whitts is the answer, we are screwed.

I''m really bloody excited by Whits signing this new deal. Best news I''ve heard in ages.

[quote user="Herman "]I''m really bloody excited by Whits signing this new deal. Best news I''ve heard in ages.[/quote]
It''s like a new signing to me [Y]

Dreadful decision. Whittaker is not good enough for Championship football, let alone Premiership level. Neil clearly doesn''t rate him, as he left him out for most of the season. Makes you wonder if he has any control at all over transfer policy amid the current mess at the club.