Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Whits signs new deal

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Perfectly sensible decision all round, which gives us a more than capable Championship right back as cover for Pinto.[/quote]

It''s a game of opinions. I don''t agree with this, Sheff Canary had it spot on, "in my opinion"

Great news.

If Whittaker was good enough to start at Wembley then he''s good enough to take on Burton Albion and Ipswich Town.

RB is sorted. Now let''s throw all our bank notes at Kodija and Wells and secure another promotion.

Not really rebuilding and moving forward is it but I guess he will be ok for back up.

At this level he is perfect for us. Entirely sensible to keep a good player on board and spend where we need to in a goal scorer

I hope it doesnt mean Martin is seen as a centre back!

Lets hope we dont have to play Whittaker and Martin together in the same match. They were weak two seasons ago and they are certainly not getting better.

Little ''ld Norwich rides again.

[quote user="king canary"]It''s going to be the same old tried, tested and failed group next season isn''t it?[/quote]

Do you mean failed in the Prem, or "failed" in the Championship ?  In which case, I''m happy if we can repeat the "failure" of the season before last.

Perfectly sensible - good back-up with has bags of experience to pass on to Pinto, far better him being here (transfer free) than signing for a competitor - You can be pretty sure one of the top 10 Champs sides would have taken him on a free, no bother.

I instinctively shouted FFS at the screen, which reflects my opinion.

It annoys me for two reasons.

1) Martin and Pinto at right back is good - they are, in fact, excellent Championship right back options. Get him of the wage bill and use the money elsewhere.

2) It suggests that Martin will be used in central defence again. Now he did OK there last time we were in the Championship, being in the players'' team of the year etc, but we then went up needing at least two centre backs, which we ultimately didn''t get. Why are we not looking to build and improve the team - freshen it up and reduce the average age of the squad? Where''s the ambition here?

It''s frustrating. It''s another situation where the majority of the fans are scratching their head''s, wondering what it is that we''re missing.

Let''s hope that our summer transfer dealings get better from here!

This is not a good move we should be looking to improve and refreshing the team not recycling last years also - rans.

As a certain football philosopher once said,

"Now then young man, you are only as good as your strikers"

I am sure we are saving our wad for two strikers to fire us to promotion.

If we had better strikers at the start of this season then we would still be in the Premier League.

Assuming Pinto stays and remains fit, Whittaker is a very capable reserve team player.  I expect he''ll mainly play cup games etc.

Perfectly sensible decision and can''t understand the aggro from others on here. What are people expecting? We need cover, we have proven experience available and don''t have to cough up a transfer fee. Ideal to me.

Oh, and if we''d let him go on a free i''m sure another Championship club would easily see him into their starting eleven. God, the bashing our club would get if he performed well in that hypothetical scenario!

Pretty much just need 1 or 2 creative signings to get results up top of the pitch and attempt to keep everyone apart from Redmond. That''s probably the game plan.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''m surprised Whittaker himself has wanted to sign......unless its common knowledge around Colney that Pinto is looking to be off?[/quote]

Yes I''m alittle surprised too, I would have thought Whittaker must feel confident of first team game time in order to stay in his national team at the very least.

I would like to think that I''m one of the more positive posters on here, however, on this occasion, I just want to see the club progress. I don''t see this as progression and it suggests that Martin is going to be used to patch up the centre of defence.

The decision to play Martin at centre back was criticised two years ago and Whittaker has failed to show that he is good enough (defensively, especially) since he has been here.

The only scenario that I could deem this understandable is if Pinto is leaving.

Strange, has he been made assurances about game time from the manager? If so would suggest Pinto is off and Martin will be playing centre back. If that''s the case we can safely say Neil has lost the plot. Martin and Bassong should NEVER EVER be seen in the centre of defence for Norwich City again.

this is only good if we do not have any younger players who could be used as back up to pinto

if we have a younger player in the under 21 ''s or 18''s then this is blocking game time for youngsters to progress

now we are not going to buy a young right back to be back up as he will want 1st team football

but our youngsters if good enough should be back up not a ageing pro who hardly plays

This is a sensible, if not inspiring move. We can still sell him on guys, we are not committed to keeping him, and i doubt that we have upped his wages. Do y''all think Kyle Walker would fancy coming in for next season?...or Seamus Coleman?

Pretty obvious we haven''t got an outstanding youngster in that position.

We manage to keep an International RB happy to act as cover and that is not good ?. Pinto was our improvement Whitts back up, Cant see the problem.

Letting him go to another Champs team would improve that team would it not ?