Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

something to be proud of

It''s been a terrible week and, as a naturally cautious and loyal person who doesn''t like to see change for change''s sake, I have to confess that I think that Worthington''s time is finally up.

However, I thought it was great to see that our two senior players, Green and Ashton, publicly came out and took responsibility for the situation, saying that the players have got to start performing. I''m sure the cynical among you may say it''s just PR, but it''s still good PR. They could easily be angling for a move, looking after themselves (hi Damien), but in their comments at least they''re doing the right thing for the club.

Similarly Dean Marney, a young player who by rights shouldn''t care less (hi, Bents). Man enough to apologise for the team''s performance, back the boss and say he''s still glad he''s at the club.

Finally, the manager. There are so many others who''d be blaming our injuries and grasping at any straws. But Worthington has been honest and frank. Again, I''m sure lots will say ''how could he be otherwise?'' after two such shocking performances, but you can bet your life that Fergie, Souness, O''Leary, etc etc would behave with half the dignity.

After a depressing week, it was good to be reminded that this is a decent club, with decent people.

On the ball, City

Robert - I think that no-one doubts Worthy''s overall decency, he has demonstrated that on countless occasions in the past when other managers would be shouting their mouth off. Sadly, it''s his management skills that have run out - I think that I read somewhere that he admitted at an interview that he doesn''t know what to do next.