Sign in to follow this  
Countryside Canary

Possible Hull takeover

Hull''s owner Allam has said there is interest in Hull from the states, China and Malaysia. So why are we always told there''s apparently no interest in Norwich?? I just don''t buy it.

Possibly because there is no interest in Norwich City, at least not in the "we''re deadly serious and here is proof of the funds we have as proof of our good intent" sense.

[quote user="Countryside Canary"]there is interest in Hull from the states, China and Malaysia......[/quote]Perhaps they just like tigers.......

Lets not jump down the throat of the poster. This is a valid point. Lots of other clubs have had take overs or investment come in while we have stagnated. For some it has worked and for some it has been a disaster. is it better the devil you know or not. For me the main problem is lack of ambition. I''m sure Delia has had some very tempting offers but for some reason has decided not to sell. We will probably never know why. In sport you always have to want to be at the top. With football prudence does not normally help. We are where we are and with the current board I can see us losing our yo-yo status and becoming championship regulars unless something changes. Roll the dice and let''s see what happens. If it all went horribly wrong we could rise again like Wimbledon.

[quote user="Canaries north"]For me the main problem is lack of ambition.[/quote]You see gambling the club''s future as ambition?  Ok. [:S]

3 teams went up last year. Watford did the best with a mid table performance and cup semi. Bournemouth were not far behind Watford in the table. We got relegated. When their new owners came in it was a gamble as it always is with anything new. We have trod the same path for years and I''m sorry but the days of smaller clubs doing well in the premiership without spending big are becoming fewer. A new manager is a gamble , a new player is a gamble. These are gambles we have taken with some working and some not. Are new owners a gamble worth taking. In my mind yes as our current owners are loyal wonderful people but don''t have the clout when it comes to it. I do not want to risk the club but we have to push on or we will end up championship regulars.

There has never been a worse time to be taken over by unknown foreigners than now. Villa are in the throes of a takeover, Swansea are heading that way to and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Yet, there will only ever be 20 places at the top table, meaning more and more clubs will have taken the risk of having unknown foreign owners, but have no chance to get into the promised land. Just look and see whats happened with the Venkys at Blackburn as an example as to how its becoming more common for things to go wrong.I find it astonishing some are ok with gambling our clubs future with unknowns taking over above our current model, for sure i know which i prefer.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Canaries north"]For me the main problem is lack of ambition.[/quote]You see gambling the club''s future as ambition?  Ok. [:S][/quote]And I don''t believe you of all people Lapps, wants to see our club become another 1p5wich languishing in the Chumps year in year out which is what I think Canaries north is getting at.[:)]

Here is the thing...

I know it''s not really fashionable and that it isn''t maybe the quickest route to success but I LIKE being owned by Smith&Jones.

I like being owned by fans of the club.

I like knowing that the owners have the best interest of the club at heart.

I like not having to do mental gymnastics to feel ok about giving money to a dodgy sweatshop owner (Ashley), corrupt Oligarch (Abramovic), an arms dealer (Evans) or royalty from a nation that borderline uses slave labour (Man City).

I also like feeling like our club hear earned its successes rather than just bought them. I know this means we probably won''t be as successful as some more monied clubs but I''m ok with that.

Any business that fails to invest will never move forwards. A manufacturer who doesn''t buy new machinery will not be able to produce things competitively. A company that pays good money gets the best salesman who then makes the company money.

I do not want us to risk everything and with the finances of the owners we are where we are. I''m sure if someone came in with the money to push us forward we would all be happy. Yes it can go wrong but at the moment its stagnation. The time to sell was after the playoffs. That was the time when Delia could and should have moved aside. I would love for us to be able to compete without outside investment but that sadly is not football anymore like it or not. I can''t hear any Watford or Bournemouth fans complaining.

[quote user="king canary"]Here is the thing...

I know it''s not really fashionable and that it isn''t maybe the quickest route to success but I LIKE being owned by Smith&Jones.

I like not having to do mental gymnastics to feel ok about giving money to a dodgy sweatshop owner (Ashley), corrupt Oligarch (Abramovic), an arms dealer (Evans) or royalty from a nation that borderline uses slave labour (Man City).

I also like feeling like our club hear earned its successes rather than just bought them. I know this means we probably won''t be as successful as some more monied clubs but I''m ok with that.[/quote]I like this post[Y]

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Canaries north"]For me the main problem is lack of ambition.[/quote]You see gambling the club''s future as ambition?  Ok. [:S][/quote]And I don''t believe you of all people Lapps, wants to see our club become another 1p5wich languishing in the Chumps year in year out which is what I think Canaries north is getting at.[:)][/quote]The binners are a perfect example OR because they have a rich investor, and what good has it done them?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Canaries north"]For me the main problem is lack of ambition.[/quote]You see gambling the club''s future as ambition?  Ok. [:S][/quote]And I don''t believe you of all people Lapps, wants to see our club become another 1p5wich languishing in the Chumps year in year out which is what I think Canaries north is getting at.[:)][/quote]The binners are a perfect example OR because they have a rich investor, and what good has it done them? [/quote]But he doesn''t invest does he Lapps, at least not in the sense that we are talking about.  Just bungs in enough to keep them afloat each season for whatever reason he has to do so.  There''s no here''s £100m transfer pot McCarthy get us into the PL or whatever...............and so they dribble on.  They are not typical, in any way.[;)]

[quote user="king canary"]Here is the thing...

I also like feeling like our club hear earned its successes rather than just bought them. I know this means we probably won''t be as successful as some more monied clubs but I''m ok with that.[/quote]

Me too!

Ironically a profitable asset rich club is not a tempting proposition to potential "investors". They want to buy success cheaply and then cash in.

Many Norfolk people lack ambition and have an inferiority complex. They are also terrified of change and the unknown, particularly if it involves ''furriners''. Unfortunately this isn''t a myth, it''s a fact, as many on here verify. And it''s a huge reason as to why the current board get such an easy ride.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]You can live elsewhere if it doesn''t suit you Keith[/quote]

He does live elsewhere.... in Suffolk.

[quote user="Canaries north"]Lets not jump down the throat of the poster. This is a valid point. Lots of other clubs have had take overs or investment come in while we have stagnated. For some it has worked and for some it has been a disaster. is it better the devil you know or not. For me the main problem is lack of ambition. I''m sure Delia has had some very tempting offers but for some reason has decided not to sell. We will probably never know why. In sport you always have to want to be at the top. With football prudence does not normally help. We are where we are and with the current board I can see us losing our yo-yo status and becoming championship regulars unless something changes. Roll the dice and let''s see what happens. If it all went horribly wrong we could rise again like Wimbledon.[/quote]

Why would she lie to us shareholders about that. And if someone seriously wanted to buy control it''s my understanding it would have to be disclosed to us.

Somebody may know the details but I seem to remember the club issuing a batch of shares to be sold so that someone could invest into the club without buying from existing shareholders.

The only "tempting" offers that I have heard about are loans with strings attached. Have I missed something buddy?

It amazes me how many people know that we are not looking for external investment, I must have missed the press release. I think our Ed said something about looking for investors previously, and who''s not to say that we are actually in talks with people willing to invest?

I really think that our Board have enough collective intelligence to see which way football is heading and to see that in our current situation, progression to the level we all aspire to will become increasingly difficult if the situation remains as it is. Well I hope, at least.

Nutty, what makes you think the Board are obligated to tell us if there have been offers for the club?

I think if they want to buy out Delia they then have to make the same offer to me. I could be wrong. Purple''s your man...

Ah OK, you''re talking from a shareholders perspective then I guess? (Didn''t you bequeath them though?😊)

I understand that with a listed company that is true, not sure if it applies to City as were not listed though.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Ah OK, you''re talking from a shareholders perspective then I guess? (Didn''t you bequeath them though?😊)

I understand that with a listed company that is true, not sure if it applies to City as were not listed though.[/quote]Ron, the Takeover Code applies to Norwich City, as a public limited company, even though it is not listed on a stock market. So any formal offer made to the owners/directors has to be passed on to all shareholders.By definition, then, there has not been a formal offer for the company since it became a plc, which was, I think, back in the early 2000s. That doesn''t rule out informal proposals of the kind Cullum put forward but never translated into a formal offer.