Sign in to follow this  
Curious Canary

No wonder this football club is in trouble

Wow, this OP has now turned into who''s more racist, xenophobic and bigoted. The referendum is not about race its about our continued membership of the EU! It seems reading the posts on here, is that anybody voicing their belief in leaving the EU is the right choice, they aren by default a bloody racist.

The referendum is about a lot more than race, although border control is a large part of the discussion. Perhaps if there was not the free movement of labour stipulation within the EU the need for a referendum would not be so great. For those old enough to remember the previous referendum held in this country was to do with increasing our participation in a Common Market where the boundaries for trade were reduced to almost all participating countries benefit. What we have now is an organisation wanting a centralised government that dictates to its member countries with little or no ability left to block moves which would be detrimental to our own countries!

For those of you who are of the mind to remain, take a step back and ponder this for a moment. If we were on the outside and this referendum was asking us if we would join the EU or remain out, which would you vote for. Would you honestly want to join such a iniquitous organisation?

As for the OP, seriously, if the words of Delia are enough to persude you to remain then all I can say is good luck! It would be good for debate if we could do away with the race card, its not about race its about the economic, security, prosperity and successfulness of our country going forward, not just for us presently but for our children and their childrens benefit.

By the way, personally I think the remain vote will win quite comfortably.

OTBC

Well I hope I''m in the "Psycophants". I get put in most groups and this one sounds exciting. A herd of crazy elephants spring to mind. But I haven''t made my mind up yet which way I shall vote lthough Delia''s opinion is one I''ll consider.

Wasn''t aware she put on her yellow and green scarf to do the interview. If so I think it''s a bit out of order unless they caught her at a game...

Nutty, now your just taking the ''P''!

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Curious Canary"] 4) It’s my naivety that I don’t agree that West Ham only got the Olympic Stadium because of Tory connections. Let’s look for a conspiracy theory. Let’s make an allegation that has no factual basis. Let’s base it on prejudice and say anyone who doesn’t go along with it doesn’t really understand. Are you saying that the board members of the Olympic Park Legacy Company were just subservient to the Tories and that it was just a front for the power base of Johnson? If you repeat it often enough it becomes a fact. So it must be true, it’s because West Ham gave more money to the Tories than Spurs. Where''s the evidence? 5) Gold gives money to the Tories, Does he? How much? Where can I find the details? Delia gives money to Labour. Does she? How much? Who knows? Checking some detail on Mike Ashley it seems that he lives as a recluse, avoiding public gaze. The incident you mention seems to relate to a Daily Mirror article when apparently Ashley vented his fury at what he sees as “interfering politicians” when Mr Miliband referred to Sports Direct’s “Victorian” working conditions. But who cares about his so called crude right wing opinions? Surely not you. If he decided to jump ship, sell Newcastle and buy Norwich you would welcome him with open arms because you are only interested in success on the football pitch and it’s obvious that we would have a better chance with Ashley’s billions rather than Delia’s mere millions.[/quote]

Details here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/27/west-hams-12500-donation-to-the-conservative-party-raises-seriou/

[/quote]

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiL1vWm5IPNAhUkJsAKHXAxCOsQqQIIHCgAMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2016%2F05%2F27%2Fwest-hams-12500-donation-to-the-conservative-party-raises-seriou%2F&usg=AFQjCNFqXZTDImIbQu2dgMK3bM8F4rQJYw

Does this link work?

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]Dead right Indy. The vast majorty haven''t got the slightest clue what effects leaving or staying would have. Too many bigots just see the red mist when they hear a furrin accent.

Put the Daily Mail down guys. The amount of welfare that gets spent on the jobless and particularly jobless immigrants is absolutely tiny. Most of your tax money that goes to welfare goes to supporting single mothers and pensioners.[/quote]

Actually, just as worrying is that there are a lot of people who DO think they know what they are voting for but don''t.

And to be honest, as someone who knew very little between the two, I am pretty sure that I never want to be on the same side as Gove, Farrage and a few of the other complete tarts of politicians that there are poncing about on the Brexit side of things. Not to mention that the statistics providers have since officially hammered their campaign for abusing the statistics provided to the point of pointing out the £350million a week line is in fact incorrect, in a national paper.

However, what really humours me is that someone who is 70+, who cooks meals with recipes and ingredients from around the world that she has also likely visited, and is recognised as someone at the top end of her industry, isn''t allowed to have an opinion because she is a cook.

Tell me what most of these politicians are? They are ''nothings''. Gove has been education and now justice minister - what is his experience in either of those arena''s? Zilch.

Hate to say it but if you want a real government have a look at the Canadian government where the defense minister is a Military Veteran, the education minister is a former teacher, the health minister is a doctor . . . . .

So before you slate someone for having an opinion, perhaps have a look at some of the useless tools we currently have in charge of important areas of our immediate safety and ask questions of them.

In a democratic nation, one of the first principles is freedom of expression (people confuse this with speech) which is to allow everyone and anyone to speak of their support or criticism of a political subject. To deny anyone this is in fact a breach of the very fundamental principles that our country is built upon and has fought hard to keep.

If you want to wander around dictating who and who cannot have an opinion then you are demonstrating exactly what people have died to prevent.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]

For those of you who are of the mind to remain, take a step back and ponder this for a moment. If we were on the outside and this referendum was asking us if we would join the EU or remain out, which would you vote for. Would you honestly want to join such a iniquitous organisation?

As for the OP, seriously, if the words of Delia are enough to persude you to remain then all I can say is good luck! It would be good for debate if we could do away with the race card, its not about race its about the economic, security, prosperity and successfulness of our country going forward, not just for us presently but for our children and their childrens benefit.

By the way, personally I think the remain vote will win quite comfortably.

OTBC[/quote]

The problem with this Ron old bean, is that if we were on the outside looking in, we would know what our current economic position is and has been and is likely to be whether we remained on the outside or joined.

The reality is, that no one can accurately predict what will happen if we step outside other than it will be very difficult to step back inside if things get nasty.

We may well be better off, it may take us 10-20years to be better off. It may get worse in the mean time. With an aging population it is going to be the younger generations that cop it the most.

Frankly, I''m in my mid 30''s, I pay into a pension that as things stand, I won''t see until I am 68 - the age I am expected to work until - at the moment. It''s already gone up in my lifetime.

You know why I am going to vote to remain? I actually trust the EU more than I do my own countries political goings on.

There are very, very, very few politicians I trust in any party, but I tell you one thing. The last thing I want to see is the likes of May who wants to get out of the EU Human Rights so she can dictate her own. Gove who is utterly, utterly untrustworthy, Hunt . . . . I mean the list goes on, they are all incompetent in my eyes, have made basic errors such as the continued use of G4s, the lack of dialogue with the medical professionals and turning every school in the country into an academy - resulting in locally, non-qualified teachers being employed.

Also, for what it''s worth on the footballing front - it would be a big hassle to sign players again considering every single EU player would then have to go through checks etc.

Ron Manager:

“Wow, this OP has now turned into who''s more racist, xenophobic and bigoted.”

Yes quite.

And whether Bamford should have signed in the summer.

All complete red herrings.

At least one or two have understood the point that I was making.

Read danielsroundabout’s post which explains it very well.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]Its a shame that in her figurehead position at the football club, Delia seems unable to prevent herself from alienating a significant proportion of the support base with her political outbursts. A football club, like any other sports club, should be in the business of pulling together its supporters from all backgrounds and viewpoints, it is not a place for politics. This thread is now 120+ in number and it was provoked by the clubs owner putting her yellow and green scarf on and getting on the political bandwagon. A repeat of the last election and from the same thinking that has seen the arrival of Fry and Balls.

Numerous posters on here tend to be sycophants as far as Delia is concerned and think that because they agree with her views, then its fine for the clubs owner to take a public position on divisive issues.

Many who support this public positioning of the club argue that those of us who oppose these matters would take a different view if Delia''s support was for the opposite wing. Well in my case, certainly not. I agree with much of what she says and will vote with her in the referendum but I resent the discord she insists in initiating in the clubs support. Not at all clever.[/quote]

Thanks danielsroundabout for your excellent post and getting this back on track.

I go a bit further in that I am concerned that Delia now seems more interested in politics than in football.

If that is the case then the football club is in trouble.

The NCFC board has been weakened in the last 6 months (feel free to disagree).

Looking back there were probably other management issues before then.

There are now new questions.

Did Delia appoint Ed Balls for football and/or business reasons, or because he was a friend who shared her political views?

Would Delia have gone high profile on the EU if Ed Balls had not been on the scene?

Clearly it is part fact, part speculation.

Can I suggest that anyone posting from now on just sticks to two points.

In a nutshell these are:

1) The impact on supporters (do people care what Delia says?)

2) The impact on the club (could politics in the board room affect our future success?).

If you take the view that we won’t know until December then don’t post until December.

If you want to discuss something else start a new post with your own topic.

Please.

OK...

1. Not at all bothered about her talking or stating an opinion on anything and, agree or disagree, I don''t find it "alienates" me as a Norwich fan, I just agree or disagree with her but, really, in the bigger scheme of things, its not that important or a big deal.

2. I wouldn''t like to think the clubs hierarchy is built on political affiliations or beliefs but that it is done so on ability and being the best person available for the job. But then that would, for me, still prevent from anyone with extreme views from being involved at any level. On that basis, who remembers that Di Stefano chap who claimed to be interested in investing many years ago (and even, supposedly, posted on WOTB to promote his cause), regardless of whether or not he had the money, I don''t think too many people at the time were happy about his possible involvement given his links with war criminals.

The clubs in trouble because you think without any particular evidence that someone else has prioritised their life in a certain way, so the only reason you think the club is in trouble is because you imagined it.

''Delia now seems more interested in politics than in football.''

Because she wrote an article about the EU campaign and Ed Balls in on the board? Seems a bit of a leap.

''Did Delia appoint Ed Balls for football and/or business reasons, or because he was a friend who shared her political views?

Would Delia have gone high profile on the EU if Ed Balls had not been on the scene?

Clearly it is part fact, part speculation. ''

I''m going to guess that she appointed him as he is a high profile, well connected person with plenty of financial acumen and also a fan of the club. If Balls had no connection to NCFC I''d be more concerned. Also I think Delia is quite capable of deciding for herself whether she wants to talk about the EU to a newspaper with or without Balls.

This part seems to be no fact and all speculation.

''Can I suggest that anyone posting from now on just sticks to two points.

In a nutshell these are:

1) The impact on supporters (do people care what Delia says?)

2) The impact on the club (could politics in the board room affect our future success?). ''

Firstly people can post about what they want, not just your pre prescribed talking points. But to answer your questions....

1) Personally I don''t really care but I can''t speak for everyone. However I imagine most people don''t need the owners of their football club to share their political viewpoints- I''d guess West Ham for instance still have a large chunk of working class Labour voters yet don''t feel ''alienated'' because there owners donate to the Tories.

2) No. If the people are capable of doing their jobs then their politics is entirely irrelevant.

1) Really comes down to if you are really that inclined to believe anyone should be denied their freedom of expression? For me the answer is ''no'' to the question. I would suggest that anyone that takes direct offense disagree with her and are concerned that her status means that people may actually listen to her and agree with her.

Now - if what she had said was far more extreme I think it would come with a different response. All she has done is expressed her belief that we should ''remain'' and why. I actually think it would have caused far more issues to have said no and explained that she agreed with the xenophobic reasons that many people seem to speak about when voting to leave.

2) You bet it could.

Imagine she had said she was all for leaving and that it was because we had let far too many ''Johnny Foreigners'' into this fair land! Just what do you think prospective overseas players would make of that as a statement?

What message do you think it would send to sponsors, possible business partners and any deals the club may wish to make with businesses largely based outside of the UK?

Honestly, I think anyone that has large interests economically, with countries and companies that are part of the EU, is likely to be voting to remain, and perhaps quite publicly as well. There is a chance that some do not actually believe that, and possibly for good reason, but they have to be seen to be doing the ''right'' thing in the eyes of business partners etc.

That''s life, politics is life. You have to make decisions for a company / business that stand more chance of making you successful.

When it comes down to the football level of the club, it also matters, there have been a number of players that have led to discontent within the squad for political beliefs - especially those with extreme connections. di Canio is a good example.

Yes, generally politics should not come directly into play with day to day work. But sometimes that just isn''t the case. The club is effected by cuts just as much as anyone else, policing cuts may mean that policing match days becomes more expensive. Pension cuts, benefit cuts etc may effect the way they price tickets. Leaving the EU may result in less income for the club - or more if that is what you believe, and again the club has to react accordingly.

So in my mind, it is pretty naive to think that politics doesn''t effect a club in anyway, just we hope that it doesn''t become embroiled in it''s own internal political disputes.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Farage is a different matter, because while he may not be a racist he leads a party that undoubtedly contains racists and with a platform that is dog-whistle racist. [/quote]

Just for political balance here, we should point out that the Labour Party, too, contains racists, some of whom were forced to resign in the past month. There are many who thinks Corbyn holds racist views against the state of Israel and the platform given to terrorist organisations such as Hamas is also dog-whistle racist.

So let''s not sling those allegations in just one direction, eh Purple?[/quote]I was asked about Farage and by extension Ukip, so that is what I replied to. I wasn''t asked to imagine Corbyn becoming chairman of Norwich City. But I am happy to point out that while there may be some racists in the Labour party (although almost certainly fewer than in the Tory party) neither of those parties have what are widely seen as racist policies at their core.As for Corbyn, I have seen nothing to suggest he is a racist. Just the opposite; he seems on the side of minorities. He has frequently - and justifiably - attacked what Israel has become, and is anti-Zionist. What he fell victim to was the very well-funded lobby that shamelessly conflates anti-Zionism with anti-semitism/racism and uses that to try to smear critics.[/quote]

Spot on

As the many so rightly point out, the club is a business, and perhaps the political views of the owners might "alienate" some customers (oh the anguish...snigger), so why not find another product? Don''t like the Tories, don''t buy Warburtons bread. This faux outrage is vomit inducing. The OP just doesn''t like her politics, tough luck. She''s left of centre, has friends who are ex-labour politicians and openly gay celebrities and some would rather she was a toff living in another country, paying no taxes and telling the bigots that immigrants are taking their money and so they should leave the EU. Get over it or go and support a club owned by people who support parties who''ll erode employment rights and drop environmental standards so they can make more cash at the drop of a hat. You think the owners of the Mail/Express/Sun give a toss about 99% of the population?

Jerzy Krukowski wrote the following post at 01 Jun 2016 12:42 AM:

You think the owners of the Mail/Express/Sun give a toss about 99% of the population?

I would think that they do otherwise they would cease to have the revenue to publish.

[quote user="E.L.F."]Jerzy Krukowski wrote the following post at 01 Jun 2016 12:42 AM:

You think the owners of the Mail/Express/Sun give a toss about 99% of the population?

I would think that they do otherwise they would cease to have the revenue to publish.[/quote]

Hmmm. I suspect what was meant was that they don''t care about them in general, because they don''t.

They do care about selling their papers which is why they tend to make up stuff on full page spreads and then have to retract them at a later date - or refuse to apologise for running the story at all if you are the chap that was editor behind the Sun''s reports on Hillsborough immediately after the events.

I believe and support in the freedom of the press, but that freedom was never meant to be abused to the degree it is now with the vitriol and lies printed and called truth and ''news''.

True investigative journalism can be hard to come by these days.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

No wonder the Star Trek franchise is in trouble;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/02/i-saw-postwar-europe-unite-reject-isolationism-leave-eu

I saw postwar Europe unite. We can’t let it unravel

[/quote]

Patrick Stewart.

An actor.

Another media lovee.

“He considers himself a socialist and is a member of the Labour Party.”

And spends most of his time in fantasy land.

[quote user="Curious Canary"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

No wonder the Star Trek franchise is in trouble;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/02/i-saw-postwar-europe-unite-reject-isolationism-leave-eu

I saw postwar Europe unite. We can’t let it unravel

[/quote] Patrick Stewart. An actor. Another media lovee. “He considers himself a socialist and is a member of the Labour Party.” And spends most of his time in fantasy land.[/quote]

I''m going with you know this as you''re neighbours.

I thought he spent most of his time on the Starship Enterprise...protecting the universe from intergalactic invaders and earthbound migrants?

Damn those Klingons, coming here...taking our jobs, using our health service, living in our houses...can we not exit the galaxy and take back our sovereignty before it''s too late?

Apples

Who is Patrick Stewart. Is he on the board? Was he on the list we''re allowed to post about? And did he sing "Donald where''s your troosers"?

I can''t be bothered to read the whole thread, have we come to any kind of conclusion? Are Norwich City in trouble?