Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

1972-3 League Cup Final

Farting about in the attic this morning, I stumbled across a load of old programmes and newspaper cuttings from the 72-3 final.  This copy of the Sun''s preview - along with scores - seems to be slightly harsh on Norwich, particularly Keelan (though I suppose it was in comparison to Pat Jennings).
[img]http://s33.postimg.org/ni649l027/20160528_113649.jpg[/img]
We then have the team photo... now that was a good side, and look at those chops.
[img]http://s33.postimg.org/jnshzi5xr/20160528_113806.jpg[/img]

Had to laugh at Jim Blair being rated at 7/10 and described as likely to be dangerous until Spurs work him out as little was known about him. Without doubt one of the worst players ever to grace the Wembley turf.

Damn you Borkins, I''ve spent all these years trying to forget all about Jim Blair - and now you''ve brought it all back. [:@]Oh, and damn that Ralph Coates too. [:@]

[quote user="jim blair"]I am alive and well thank you 😂[/quote]I thought you died back in 2011 in Belgium ? [*-)]

...my first Wembley visit and quite a disappointment with such a poor show. Those scores for the players look quite generous but my memory is not good. Two years later and it was again a disappointment

Thanks for reminding us about one of the most forgettable games in our history. A bloody awful game in every respect.

I met Ralph Coates about 10 years ago when, as manager of the Marconi Sports Ground in Chelmsford, he was hosting a 5-a-side tournament. I walked up to him and announced ''Mr Coates, my dad says you are a total b*stard who ruined his 1973''. He was taken aback until he saw me laugh and explain that it was my father''s first Wembley visit and was a diehard NCFC supporter (I was a little too young at the time) as I had been since the early 70s. We had a conversation about Spurs and NCFC for about 20 minutes and he was very engaging and an absolutely top bloke. He sadly passed away a few years ago.

The thing I most remember about this game is that our coach driver didn''t get us to Wembley in time for kick-off (so I missed the pleasure of us walking out of the tunnel for the first time in our history) and that on the way home the driver insisted in stopping at a pub deep in Spurs territory!

[quote user="Lord Horn again"]The thing I most remember about this game is that our coach driver didn''t get us to Wembley in time for kick-off (so I missed the pleasure of us walking out of the tunnel for the first time in our history) and that on the way home the driver insisted in stopping at a pub deep in Spurs territory![/quote]You mean he stopped in 1p5wich M''Lud ?

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]And what about me?

I was sold to Sheff Utd just before the final to be replaced by you!

It ain''t fair[/quote]But if we didn''t Trevor Hockey would never have been a Norwich player.