Sign in to follow this  
rich

worthy's legacy

Though may not be for a while yet as the board dig their heels
in, it seems inevitable that nigel has come to the end of his
time at the club. just wondered how you would remember worthington.

1: A hideous manager who got lucky promotion year and is now
being exposed for his true worth.
2: An average manager who did some good, some bad but whose
time has come.
3: A good manager whose lost the plot a little.
4: A great manager whose been very unlucky.

As someone who has to confess had no faith in him from six months
in, I feel the answer lies somewhere between 1 and 2. He had some
plus points, like good morale builder(look at the mood of
the squad in the promotion and premiership years)and bought well
with ashton, leon and huckerby.
Overall though he was tactically inept, rarely did we see
any tactical masterpieces and the players often looked ill
coached or ill prepared.

nigel''s legacy will be a man who took this club to some
great things, but didn''t have the tactical ability or coaching
knowhow to real develop this club over a lengthy five
year plan.

"nigel''s legacy will be a man who took this club to some
great things, but didn''t have the tactical ability or coaching
knowhow to real develop this club over a lengthy five
year plan"

you make a good point when you say this Rich! In my opinion i think worthy has the potential to be a good manager with the right team.

He Left Blackpool under a cloud and im sure if u speak to some pool fans u will hear a mixed response when it comes to worthington. some feel he did ok, some never want to see him darken the pier again!

I think when he came here he had a good squad, which had just got lazy because of the failings of Rioch and Hammy, Worthington came in and shook things up and it worked, we got the playoffs.. the following season the players wanted that success again and went out trying to get it.

It did become apparent that Worthy was tacitcally lacking, making us defend in our own 6 yard box cost us points vs both Stoke and Sheff wed in succesive weeks, and this seemed to be to case for the rest of the season... thankfully Worthington learned.

Then came the promotion season... and lets be honest with the Exception of WBA (and a post-Kember Palce once they got Dowie) there wasnt anyone likely to challenge us for promotion. it was a very weak league and once we got Hucks we had the player we needed.

Now the league is much tougher, and i think Worthington is being shown up for his tactical Naivity and reluctance to use youth... do i think he''s a good manager? no do i think he has the potential to be one.. yes without a doubt!

he needs to change his game plan somewhat.. "passion, commitment, and work rate" dont win football games, they sound nice but they are just words.

Worthington needs to move on and start again. im sure he will find work quickly, once at a new club he needs to become more critical, both of himself and his players, admit to his mistakes and not rely on the same plan again and again hoping that "everything will work itself out" then i will say he''s a good manager... Worthy means well, and he does want to win... but he isnt a Norwich city style manager... Mike Walker, Dave Stringer, Ken Brown were Norwich Style managers... Nigel Worthington would however make a good assistant or coach.

jas

A good and honest man who took the club as far as he could.

OTBC

In my thread "Norwich''s Most Successful manager" I made Nigel City''s 5th or 6th most successful manager and a worthy (pun intended) member of City''s hall of fame.

Whenever and however it ends, his achievements are clear as is his decency, dignity and honourable nature

He''s been a manager who''s done very well for the club, but has sadly run out of ideas and is just digging himself into a bigger whole with every match. Sad because he has taken us to where we didn''t believe would be possible again.

A manager blessed with good fortune who was unfortunately not up to the tactical challenge of managing a Premiership club,  but I would echo ZLF & CC in agreeing that he does show some dignity and decency in his actions - something the likes of Souness & Bruce could do with a lesson in.    That said, unless there''s some pretty major changes made, he''s destined for a new challenge!

Probably 3

What you can''t avoid though is the manner he has conductd himself in - rarely blaming referees etc and always seems a credit to the club