Sign in to follow this  
Unhinged Canary

OT - RIP The Greatest

Muhammad Ali / Cassius Clay passed away this morning aged 74. At least he''s finally got release from the horrible disease that had taken him. Was truly heartbreaking to see one so vibrant taken down by it.RIP 

Awful news, my greatest sporting hero.Just posted this elsewhere :-The phrases "Sporting hero" and "legend" are bandied around all too often, but Ali epitomised both. A beautiful, eloquent, politically sharp man. Funny, intelligent and engaging, a man who stood up for his beliefs, a man who helped shape and change American society in the 1960''s and 70''s, for the better. Had his awful disease not shackled him I genuinely believe he would have gone to be an important political leader. So much more than the greatest boxer who ever lived. RIP.

He bore his illness with the same courage and fighting spirit that he showed in the ring. I am genuinely upset by this, he is in my "true greats" category along with Botham and Pele and the greatest of the three in many ways. He had it all. A quick wit; good looks; an incredible physique and speed for a heavyweight, and more style in one round than many boxers show in an entire career. Oh, and a free thinker which got him jailed and stripped of his title because he stood up for his principles. True legend.

I have an Ali box set from ESPN which I started watching again last month and when you see him against Liston, you can see the beginning of something amazing. For those who haven''t seen him at his peak, PM me and I am happy to loan it to you as every fan of sport should have the chance to see it at least once.

Rest in peace.

2016, I hate you.

A really really sad day for all. Ali was the greatest sportsman that ever set foot on this earth. A legend who will never be surpassed. RIP great man.

When I told my eleven year old, he asked if he was an Isis leader. Guess we''ll all have to rewatch When we were Kings tonight.

The iconic sportsman of my youth. Ali, may you rest in the peace you so richly deserve.

One of the greatest principled men that ever lived.  A great boxer.  A great entertainer.  As someone else said, the world is a poorer place today.  Rest in Peace Big Man.Wilted Flower [W]

He gave me a lifetime of sporting memories. RIP The Legend. Nobody will ever come close to him.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]He bore his illness with the same courage and fighting spirit that he showed in the ring. I am genuinely upset by this, he is in my "true greats" category along with Botham and Pele and the greatest of the three in many ways. He had it all. A quick wit; good looks; an incredible physique and speed for a heavyweight, and more style in one round than many boxers show in an entire career. Oh, and a free thinker which got him jailed and stripped of his title because he stood up for his principles. True legend.

I have an Ali box set from ESPN which I started watching again last month and when you see him against Liston, you can see the beginning of something amazing. For those who haven''t seen him at his peak, PM me and I am happy to loan it to you as every fan of sport should have the chance to see it at least once.

Rest in peace.

2016, I hate you.[/quote]Presuming it''s the same one, it''s on Amazon for less than a tenner if anyone was interested. I''ve got my copy on the way.  [Y]

Such sad news, so much more than a great boxer, he was a truly inspirational human being.

Some of the older posters will know that he visited Norwich in 1971 as part of a tour promoting Ovaltine, have a look on the East Anglian Film Archive for the video....

Just watching the Thrilla in Manila. Watching Ali and Frazier go like that for 14 rounds makes the modern Heavyweights pale in comparison. Ali himself said that he nearly quit at the end of the 14th as he was as exhausted as Frazier was. Truly a legend in the truest sense of the word, he will never be forgotten, gutted, really really gutted! RIP The Greatest!

The greatest sportsman ever. Simple, achieved true greatness

Been to the museum in Louisville when it opened, a humble museum for a giant.

What lovely stories we are hearing today. What this man did is monumental for sport, race relations, political debate and medical awareness. It is truly sad today.

I have prayed for a cure of the disease so he could have had the first treatment. I am deeply saddened and this a loss for the world.

I have a photo of Ali when Elvis met him in his gym and years after, at different times, I managed to get both men to sign it.  Two of the greatest together. I often wonder how much it''s worth, but would never part with it.

My dear Mum met the great man when he came to Norwich for a store opening in St Stephens in the early seventies.

That started my interest in him and respect for a great human being.

Will be sadly missed.

RIP Great Man

Yes, and at the personal cost of probably his best boxing years.  By 1970 you could see that quicksilver movement had gone, not entirely, but enough to make him more punchable, and boy did he soak up punishment in some of those fights.
I''m so sad he''s dead, and yet I feel he was such a big character that he will never really die because he will go on inspiring generations, and it is for those of us who were lucky enough to have seen at least some of his magic to pass this down to our children when they ask about our heroes and who they were.
Damn, got something in my eye.
I hate 2016.

Icon of the twentieth century, likely the greatest sportsman of all time.

A sad day today for any sports fan.

Suffered for over 30 years with that terrible disease. The world is a lesser place without him.

RIP Muhammed Ali

Another of his many attributes was that he really loved to come to England! I think there were times when he was close to being more appreciated here than the US!

I have just watched the EDP/One show tribute to Ali with his daughters. As an aside, Maryum has just featured in a prison reality programme about being in prison for 60 days. She was, along with 9 other people, incarcerated in a State Penitentiary for 60 days and was tasked with seeing what was wrong in the penal system. Its being shown here but can''t remember which channel. Look it up, its called 60 days in, amazing to see what goes on in American prisons.