Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

888 Sport in running to become Norwich City’s main sponsor

Sponsoring Forest next season as well.https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wFRjdE3GXIY/V0Xbfpu1oyI/AAAAAAAA4N8/-DpwKJzMht0Tl3nLB7qBhfqXAQnZ2X1lACLcB/s1600/nottingham-forest-16-17-kit-2.jpgIts over fussy I guess, but I''d rather we had someone dedicated just to us as a sponsor and not another club as well-was like that with Flybe.The logo looks very dominant on their shirts.

Not sure how I feel about this. I''ve liked the fact we usually do deals with local businesses.

There are various businesses that I don''t like because IMO they are taking advantage of peoples'' weaknesses rather than providing a decent service or product to consumers.

These include gambling, tobacco, payday lenders (basically anyone lending at over 1,000% interest, or indeed hundreds of %) ... I could probably come up with a few more if I think about it.

So if we get sponsored by 888 etc, I would find that disappointing and wouldn''t buy a shirt with that sort of sponsor on it - I don''t want to be walking around advertising something I disagree with.

Think I''ll get more order in for this year''s away shirt at half price.

"An announcement on the main sponsor is expected within the next few weeks."

So that means that the new shirt will not be available for a few weeks.

How will this sit with Coralas new sponsors of the barclay..... Seems strange for both Coral & 888 to be major partners of NCFC when they are fighting for the same business. Coral underpin the clubs betting facilities, cant see 888 being happy with that.... Like others have said I don''t like sharing sponsors with other clubs.

It''s all about cash at the end of the day

Are they going to give us what we need/want?

Tbh I really couldn''t care less who the sponsor is - so long as it is a legitimate company I don''t have any issues with it being a gambling site. Ideally you wouldn''t need one at all, but in this day and age that''s not realistic, so you then need to maximise whatever revenue you can achieve.

Agree BP.

As for the Coral conflict they are probably companies under the same umbrella. You never know these days.

I invested money in Sky Bank but had a query. Only today, I telephoned them (re: an ISA) but mistakenly ''phoned'' the bond department of that bank only to be told that I had made the wrong contact and that they were two separate companies under the same banner. An Irish bank was involved as well I seem to recall.

AJ wrote the following post at 08 Jun 2016 8:47 AM:

Not sure how I feel about this. I''ve liked the fact we usually do deals with local businesses.

^This. Love to see Lotus back.

Going for a local business does that not make us look a bit small time. Its ok with likes of Aviva, Flybe, Colmans & Lotus as these are well know locals.... but going back to likes of Digital Phone Company!!!!

Things could be worse we could have "Shaft us Evans" plastered all over the shirts & around the ground like the tin pot club down the road. We assume that this is becasue no companies local or national want to be associated with the shower of S4!t that is Ips4!t Town.

[quote user="shaunieboy77"]Bring back good old Fosters Lager ![/quote]

Got that shirt somewhere, would love to find it-bound to have shrunk in the preceding 18 or so years of course...

Don''t you just hate that, I''ve had numerous shirts shrink in the draw!!

Reminds me of the cup semi final at Hillsboro against Sunderland, I came out feeling really dejected and got approached by a Sunderland fan who wanted to change shirts, which I duly did, what I hadn''t noticed was how much smaller he was than me and I preceded to try and get his small shirt on only to fail! Was a long way home topless!!

Waiting fir the first person to declare we are a laughing stock

I''d have either preferred a Local(ish) Company, or one which had ties to the city as we''ve loads that could:

Kettle Chips

Lotus

N&P

Virgin Money

Jarrolds

QD

Roys

Either that or give up the shirt sponsorship to a Charity such as Barca & Unicef.

I''d have preferred a more ethical company, non-local if necessary, even if it meant lower sponsorship income. What we''re getting is another bookmaker as main sponsor, which potentially dents our family club image.

Here come the do gooders. You know the types. How betting companies are ethically wrong. How we are all forced into becoming gambling addicts.

You know the people who have never smoked a fag, drank alcohol, bought a lottery ticket. Double standards.

[quote user="Move Klose"]Here come the do gooders. You know the types. How betting companies are ethically wrong. How we are all forced into becoming gambling addicts. You know the people who have never smoked a fag, drank alcohol, bought a lottery ticket. Double standards.[/quote]

I think you''re missing the point about addiction ... you choose to try it voluntarily but then find you''re hooked and it''s hard to stop.  Smoking, recreational drugs, and gambling are all in this category.  How many people do you talk to who smoke (etc) and are happy about it ?

I''ve still got all the City shirts I''ve bought over the years, and wear them to games or for jogging etc.  I wouldn''t buy a shirt with the 888 logo though.

Move Klose - I''m not exactly a prude when it comes to vices, or gambling. I like an occasional spliff and took part in last season''s PUPs league, but these activities are a world away from shirt sponsorship.How much income do we get from the main sponsor? Someone correct me if I''m wrong, but it''s peanuts compared to TV money, and the size of the deal you can negotiate largely depends on league position.So having non-bookmaking sponsor would probably make little difference to our income, and perhaps be a price worth paying.What we do in the transfer market would probably be a much, much bigger factor income-wise than sponsorship.

Well you need to grow up then. Trust me I know plenty of people who do all those things and enjoy doing those things. I gamble every weekend on footy. £5 a week. I''m not addicted tho. It''s all about self control. I smoked for 8 years, and enjoyed it. No one made me do it I chose to. I gave up tho because I wanted to. I''m not gonna blame the tobacco industry for me wanting to smoke tho.

I want an ethical sponsor that doesn''t exploit weak people

"Bring back fosters lager" lol

[quote user="Move Klose"]Well you need to grow up then. Trust me I know plenty of people who do all those things and enjoy doing those things. I gamble every weekend on footy. £5 a week. I''m not addicted tho. It''s all about self control. I smoked for 8 years, and enjoyed it. No one made me do it I chose to. I gave up tho because I wanted to. I''m not gonna blame the tobacco industry for me wanting to smoke tho.[/quote]

And of course everyone is just like you....

I''m in my 50s thank you.  I know plenty of people who smoke, most would rather not and find it difficult to stop.  The tobacco industry did its best to stop information about the health problems that come with it from being made public.  I know people who gamble in moderation, but get real, do the bookies stay in business on your £5 per week ?  Of course not - they make money off the people who gamble seriously, and plenty of them can''t afford it.  That''s not something I want on a shirt I''m wearing.

Maybe you should be a bit less naïve ?

Big time gambling sponsor = "So unethical! Clubs a joke!"Small local business = "Little Norwich! Clubs a joke!"No sponsor / charity = "Where''s the ambition! Clubs a joke!"Choose your stick.

Personally, I don''t give 2 $hits who the major sponsor is, and have no idea why it''s such a huge deal. I''d probably prefer no one. It would mean getting a nice new kit to buy, while at the same time not having to be a walking billboard.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Big time gambling sponsor = "So unethical! Clubs a joke!"
Small local business = "Little Norwich! Clubs a joke!"
No sponsor / charity = "Where''s the ambition! Clubs a joke!"
Choose your stick.

Personally, I don''t give 2 $hits who the major sponsor is, and have no idea why it''s such a huge deal. I''d probably prefer no one. It would mean getting a nice new kit to buy, while at the same time not having to be a walking billboard.
[/quote]

Well, if we end up with any of those, it''s a bad outcome, no two ways about it.  Hopefully the club will be able to find a sponsor that''s a substantial company and something you''d be happy to be associated with, or at least neutral about.

It probably matters more if you''re going to be wearing the shirt to games, frankly.