Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Kevin Bond

...has just joined Villa as First Team Coach. It''s quite clear we lacked experience within our management team last season and feel we could''ve benefited from someone like Kevin Bond to join our staff. I think the parting of ways with Mike Phelan was right because he clearly wanted the main job and once he was overlooked, it was never going to work between him and Alex Neil.I''m really hopefully we will not only start the season with a strong squad, but also with a management team with a touch more experience than we currently have. It''s just a question of who is out there. Perhaps the sort of thing Alex would discuss with a Chief Executive, if we had one.

Row D Seat 7 wrote the following post at 06 Jun 2016 6:42 PM:

Not after his bullying of youth players at Villa...

And the hiring of Roy Keane thereafter for that calming influence reputation he is blessed with. IMO there still seems to be a big stank about the outcome of that fiasco.

This is where I have concerns about our team, barring the lack of chief executive and first team squad. I believe in Alex Neil as a leader and the man to motivate our team, however our first team coaches (Frankie McAvoy and Gary Holt) worry me a bit. I''m not sure what impact having experienced first team coaches which have worked with ''next level'' players and managers, compared to having coaches that don''t have the same experience.

IMO there is no doubting Culverhouse''s credentials, I''m not sure why he should have to carry the baggage of what may or may not have happened at Villafor the rest of his life - can he not have learned/be educated about whatever he did that was ''wrong''?

i agree i think fat frankie and gary holt are very weak at coaching after seeing not one of our players improve last season

my thoughts are the manager picks the coaching staff

AN will have who he wants if they are not good enough is the manager who picks them ?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i agree i think fat frankie and gary holt are very weak at coaching after seeing not one of our players improve last season

my thoughts are the manager picks the coaching staff

AN will have who he wants if they are not good enough is the manager who picks them ?[/quote]At the end of the season Neil said he would be reviewing his own contribution and that of others. That could just have been flannel or he could have meant it. If the latter then he may be casting a critical eye over the coaching staff as well as the players.

Clark or bond would''ve been fantastic appointments to give AN a hand.

Unfortunately our football board lack any nous to do this.

Holt does most of the coaching with mcavoy often referred to as " Bbc".

Bibs, balls and cones.

Kevin Bond scored a lot of own goals for us - hope he wouldn''t be in charge of defensive coaching - we''re bad enough now!

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Clark or bond would''ve been fantastic appointments to give AN a hand.

Bibs, balls and cones.[/quote]

Can you sit down

Careful what you say regarding the Pie Man and Gary Holt or Mr Balls

I did and had the post removed.

Big Brother is watching

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Clark or bond would''ve been fantastic appointments to give AN a hand.

Bibs, balls and cones.[/quote]

Can you sit down

Careful what you say regarding the Pie Man and Gary Holt or Mr Balls

I did and had the post removed.

Big Brother is watching

Let''s face it. Our coaches have less experience than National Epress.

Holt at Lowestoft, and Frankie north of the border. Certainly, as proved not fit for purpose in the PL.

AN needed help from an very experienced head at that level, and there was none.

Who know if they are up to a very fully and long season in our new home. Either way they need help NOW!

"Our coaches have less experience than National Epress.

Holt at Lowestoft"

It must be my failing memory... must have been Grant Holt who managed Falkirk

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]Let''s face it. Our coaches have less experience than National Epress.

Holt at Lowestoft, and Frankie north of the border. Certainly, as proved not fit for purpose in the PL.

AN needed help from an very experienced head at that level, and there was none.

Who know if they are up to a very fully and long season in our new home. Either way they need help NOW![/quote]

We''re you so busy writing the ''hilarious'' joke that you forgot to get your ''facts'' right?

Imagine if it was Delia who wanted to interfere and make changes to Alex Neil''s coaching team. Oh the meltdown that would happen on here! Good job she keeps her opinions to the Euro vote.....

its Alex Neils choice who he has as our coaches

That''s what worries me lack of improvement , form and development of players last season was plain to see

this is where having AN lack of big club experience is a big disadvantage

i imagine a bigger name with bigger club experience would not have fat frank and Gary Holt as the 1st team coaches

i think culverhouse nearly 300 games for us and was at spurs as a youth player is a bit better experience than fat frankie and holt

I guess we could debate the merits of Culverhouse and Holt. I think they both achieved a PL promotion as coach. Tough one to call but from what we know Culverhouse maybe shades it.

Now it''s your turn. Gary Karsa of Frank McAvoy....

well noy knowing to much about either playing i would go for Karsa

karsa due to success he had with lambert and how players played above their ability level through hard work and passion

Ok

So you don''t know anything about either of them but one of them is better in your head. I''d rather trust a cook ;)

At least Alex Neil will have some idea....

i said i didn''t know much about them as players

karsa had the players playing above their ability through hard work seemed far more passion and will to win

fat frankie was unable to get players to improve or even hold form in fact player like redmond went backwards

just my view of course

Culverhouse has had a successful coaching career and Lambert has achieved nothing without him.

Dave Stringer recognized his brilliant ability to read the game and started to play him as sweeper. Mike Walker used him in this position in our great and cup run. Probably the best ever defender at our club.

He started coaching kids while he was a player here but when he retuned with Lambert he was quick to analyse the confidence problem.

During his time here he was able to get the best out of all the players.Two succesive promotions was an amazing result with the team they had inherited.

If we can get the best out of our current squad we will have no problem getting back in the top league.

I rate Holt and I understand Karsa is more about geting info on the opposition but I associate Culverhouse with all the best times at Norwich.

So are people advocating we have a puppet manager where Delia or someone else appoints their coaching team?

Managers much prefer to manage. They like their own people close to them. Colin Calderwood is still with Chris Hughton at Brighton. It''s the way of it I''m afraid. Alex Neil is apparently reviewing everything following our relegation. Whether that could ever mean he got rid of his closest ally I doubt. Should be be forced to? I don''t think so.

Have players improved under this team? Redmond has for sure. Last season it was claimed many others had. But when they returned to the PL we began to realise they were much the same as they had been. But it could be argued Whittaker, Martin to name two, were better than under Hughton last relegation.

As an aside does anyone remember where Ian Culverhouse used to train the kids when he was a player here?