Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Gary O'Neil to Bristol City

[quote user="E.L.F."] If Dorrans leaves then we''s be in big trouble.[/quote]Is there a transfer embargo that says we can''t sign any new players?

Oops Hungry not Hungarian, but he''ll I''d take any nationality if it improved our starting 11.

It''s a good move we need to move on from this squad, we need to look to the next few seasons, we have a lot of good players and experienced too.

Maddison and Thompson will be here pre season and will hopefully show the quality in their potential to become squad players pushing to start next year.

If we keep this relegated squad and do go up, their not good enough as shown this season and it would be a major squad rebuild.....better to start it this season and hopefully keep Pinto, Klose, Olsson and Howson as these are the core of quality in this side.

I''m happy to see him go and would have been happy to let Witts go knowing Martin can play RB.

It does look like Dorrans won''t be going anywhere and Martin will be CB next season.

we could always play Whittaker there??

I think the biggest thing we''ll miss from O''Neil is his leadership. As has been said, Tettey (if he stays) won''t manage more than 30 odd games this season. However, with Howson, Mulumbu, Dorrans and Ofoe, plus players like the 2 Murphys, Wes, Thomson, Maddison and Godfrey, we still have a very decent midfield group. Plus, I think if we sell Redmond, AN will look to sign someone for that position as well.

Be amazed if Godfrey is anywhere near 1st team. Can''t see much game time for Thompson either to be honest. Howson, Tettey, Dorrans, Mulumbu & Vadis as it stands will probably be ahead of these in the pecking order. Maddison will get a look in but not in central midfield in a 2. Maybe in the number 10 role.

lappinitup wrote the following post at 09 Jun 2016 3:31 PM:

E.L.F. wrote:

If Dorrans leaves then we''s be in big trouble.

Is there a transfer embargo that says we can''t sign any new players?

That''s quite the extrapolation from what I said. So am I to understand that losing 50% of the experienced DM''s in a span of a couple of weeks poses no problems? Let''s see, now we need defenders, defensive midfielders, LM/RM (should Brady/Redmond go) AND someone who can put the ball in the net on a consistent basis. Lovely having those parachute payments.

Disappointed with this, I''m under the impression it''s to do with the fact we''d only offer him a year but Bristol offered him two - can''t blame him for that. He was one of our most consistent performers last year, and aside of his moment of madness was a great leader on the pitch too.

I think in the long term we need to either bring in or give younger players a chance - O''Neil is getting on and if we got promoted again I doubt he''d have been able to keep up with a further year in the Prem. For that reason alone we should not be too disappointed in that we have all summer to bring a replacement midfielder yet. Let''s not forget we also still have Tettey, Howson, Dorrans, Naismith, Thompson, Maddison and Hoolahan to make a midfield out of!

Oh yes, forgot about Vadis, Mulumbu - although as has been suggested both McGrandles and Godfrey are unlikely to get any first team football on a regular basis next season unless out on loan

Don''t get me wrong, it''s not like I''m thrilled to see the back of him; however I do feel if we are aspiring to better things, he would be seen as experienced backup only.

I once saw him referred to as ''the human victory cigar'' in that we used to really only bring him on to help see out wins- in this capacity he is excellent as he can just sit and screen the defence.

However, just like Dion when he won our Player of the Season, you have to ask the question as to why a 33+ player is starting for our team. It''s not like he''s Pirlo.

Not overly fussed. As others have said, should only really be backup.

And as for his leadership, it didn''t help keep us up and I doubt it made the difference in getting us promoted.

And yet he was one of our best midfielders last term?

Always to see fresh blood (& not youngsters) brought i first. Then you can ship out players.

Disappointed by this as he was valuable last season and his passing out of centre mid was consistently quality.

But yes, perhaps we can use the opportunity t freshen things up and we are not short of midfielders.

Oh boy we really are becoming the biggest joke in this league, we rush to sign Whittaker and then let ONiell go to Bristol City when lets be honest he did a fair job for us last season even if he had that stupid moment at Stoke.

No doubt AN will keenly hold on to Bassong and Martin as CB let Klose and Bennett go that should sort the defence out! Surprised he hasnt tried to sell Olssen so he can force Brady to play LB next season!

Are we really dishing out worse pay etc than Bristol City really !

We didn''t just "let" O''Neill go to Bristol City, we offered him a new deal. He turned it down. He has probably got a huge signing on fee from Bristol City to go with a fat two year deal which probably also has success bonuses in it and he will also get more games.

We wouldn''t have been able to compete with the whole deal, I suspect.

That''s the problem when you let contracts run down - players have all the power if they are well thought of.

Why would Redmond sign a new deal here? He knows that if we make him play for us next season he will get a massive signing on fee next year from somebody. We either try to match that or he will be gone.

CanaryOne wrote:

''''Brilliant piece of news now Martin and Jerome to follow and things will be looking up.''''

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would you want to get rid of Jerome? Proven champs goalscorer and only one of two strikers we even have from last season

This is not a good thing !

now it does not matter what you think the manager wanted to keep him

now for him to turn us down it was either Money or playing style

now i would hope that is the money and not that players are fed up with the coaching and manager''s tactics last season

If players move because of money that''s one thing but if its any other reason we could well be in trouble

i don''t buy any of this AN the great young manager stuff

he talks a good game and a experienced player like O''neil might of seen through it

Surprised this move when ahead as McNally has left and we cannot do any business until he is replaced. [:P] I cannot get too upset at losing a 33 year old journeyman. A good solid pro who had the chance to get a two year deal elsewhere. Surely had we signed him up for two further years the club would have been in for a load of criticism. Good luck Gary and thanks for your efforts.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]so til if he was a old journeyman

why did AN want him to stay ?[/quote]33 years old not an old journeyman and i believe he was offered a one year contract but BC came along with a two year deal so it was a no brainer from his point of view surely or are you suggesting we keep someone until he is 35 ?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]This is not a good thing !

now it does not matter what you think the manager wanted to keep him

now for him to turn us down it was either Money or playing style

now
i would hope that is the money and not that players are fed up with the coaching and manager''s tactics last season

If players move because of money that''s one thing but if its any other reason we could well be in trouble

i don''t buy any of this AN the great young manager stuff

he talks a good game and a experienced player like O''neil might of seen through it[/quote]
For everything that O''Neil is, I don''t see him as a football purist.
The reason why he went is obvious. Bristol offered him a 2 year contract. I''d be hugely surprised if we were willing to offer more than 1 and if we did, the club would be criticised like anything on here.

Have to say I''m gutted about this. Yes has his limitations but one of the few players who showed any sense of passion and fight last year.

His promotion record is brilliant and at least could have been a leader and role model for youngsters at the club.

If the contract is the issue then it was a no brainer for him and I wouldn''t have wanted us to offer 2 years. So fair enough if that is the case, still sorry to see him go though.

All this close season talk on what great efforts he intended to make to get us back into the Prem.

Then he ups and leaves. we can do without disloyal untrustworthy individuals

[quote user="Vanwink"]If the contract is the issue then it was a no brainer for him and I wouldn''t have wanted us to offer 2 years. So fair enough if that is the case, still sorry to see him go though.[/quote]
Obviously i''m only speculating but it does seem the most likely scenario. If he''d only signed a 1 year deal with Bristol City i''d have asked questions. They''ve probably also promised him a starting eleven position and potentially captaincy. Can''t say we would guarantee any of that.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Meh. Who says for one minute that we can''t offer better terms? We do have a number of m/f players including younger guys returning from loan, so maybe have decided against pushing the boat out for an older player who might not be used as much again? Or maybe he wants a move for family/personal reasons? Or maybe he''s not moving at all?

Tbh I''m easy either way - he could have played a part but we have lots in m/f and he''s getting on. There''s more important roles need filling.[/quote]

Like 2 strikers, at least one centre back and a replacement for Dorrans.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]Jeez you are a tough crowd on here, do we have any players that you like or rate?[/quote]

Joshua and Jacob Murphy

Morris

Maddison

Thompson

Toffolo

Matthews

shorlty to be followed by

Lewis

Cantwell

Godfrey

The future is a bright yellow

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="norfolkngood"]so til if he was a old journeyman

why did AN want him to stay ?[/quote]33 years old not an old journeyman and i believe he was offered a one year contract but BC came along with a two year deal so it was a no brainer from his point of view surely or are you suggesting we keep someone until he is 35 ?[/quote]

Arent we keeping Hoolihan until he is 35?

I would have understood this had we also let Turner and Whitts go, it would have felt like a clearing out of the older players. Seeing as i would expect Tettey to be reluctant at another season in the championship we better have a bloody good holding midfielder up our sleeve somewhere.

Sad he''s going, but at 33 a 2yr deal leading to maybe a coaching role was too good to turn down plus I''m assuming that his journey from his family home in South London to Bristol maybe an easier one on the M4 ( though Geography isn''t my strongest subject )

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]I would have understood this had we also let Turner and Whitts go, it would have felt like a clearing out of the older players. Seeing as i would expect Tettey to be reluctant at another season in the championship we better have a bloody good holding midfielder up our sleeve somewhere.[/quote]

You obviously missed today''s announcement re Tettey. He has signed a contract extension until 2017.