Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Gary O'Neil to Bristol City

Article below reckons he''s turned us down - had a medical with Bristol City and set to be unveiled todayhttp://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Ambitious-Bristol-City-line-free-transfer-Norwich/story-29380203-detail/story.html

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]Article below reckons he''s turned us down - had a medical with Bristol City and set to be unveiled todayhttp://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Ambitious-Bristol-City-line-free-transfer-Norwich/story-29380203-detail/story.html[/quote]

If we cannot offer him better terms than Bristol, I give up.

He would be good at our new level.

Shame Witts soon grabbed whatever AN was silly enought to offer.

Make me wonder if there is a Scottish mafia at work at our club.

Only have to see how poor our Scottish coaches have been as evidence.

If AN is outside the play off by Xmas ...........

Meh. Who says for one minute that we can''t offer better terms? We do have a number of m/f players including younger guys returning from loan, so maybe have decided against pushing the boat out for an older player who might not be used as much again? Or maybe he wants a move for family/personal reasons? Or maybe he''s not moving at all?

Tbh I''m easy either way - he could have played a part but we have lots in m/f and he''s getting on. There''s more important roles need filling.

Good news is true. Still bewildered at how he became the fans favorite after that unforgivable sending off.

We need better than Gary O''Neil pulling the strings if we are to win promotion next season.

Bristol City''s owners are both said to be billionnaires so its hardly surprising they can, if they want to, blow us out of the water in terms of playing contracts to 30 something journeymen midfielders looking for one last big payday, signing on fee and possible two year contract.

I don`t think its a money issue but a part coaching, part playing position would probably be an interesting prospect for him. No secret that he wants to be a manager eventually and that he is currently doing his badges. Probably his last playing season so may be looking to his future career rather than just guaranteeing another years pay packet or signing on bonus.

A shame if true, but I imagine this is down to contract length offered. Let''s be honest, O''Neil did well for us, but only because of injuries did he end up becoming a mainstay.

Brilliant piece of news now Martin and Jerome to follow and things will be looking up . O''Neil would not have got near starting for any other Prem team last season and it shows just how poor we were that he was a regular for City .Slightly worrying that Neil wanted to keep him but has lost out to Bristol City though as it does tend to make you wonder just who we will be able to sign even at this lower level .

Ian wrote the following post at 09 Jun 2016 10:48 AM:

A shame if true, but I imagine this is down to contract length offered. Let''s be honest, O''Neil did well for us, but only because of injuries did he end up becoming a mainstay.

I agree, this comes as a bit of a shocker. Graham Dorrans, please step forward.

I hope this is the start of a plan to build a younger team capable of making the move up to the Prem, even if it takes more than one season.

I can''t fit in keeping Whitts with this idea though.

He delayed signing new deal towards the end of the season so it looks like he would have only stayed if we were in the prem. In fact only decided to stay last season when we got promoted.

Bit of a liability and a mercenary, surprised he is so well thought of.

Now rumours about Ryan Bennett leaving, that would be a blow.

I''m of the opinion that Go''N looked good in our side, not really because of his own quality but down to the lack of it around him- as much as I loved him, think Dion Dublin in his final season for us. He''s a stop-gap player that circumstance has forced into a key role.

We need better in his position if we''re going to play at the level we''re targeting.

There''s a reason we have so many good youngsters which will require development time on the pitch.

No bad thing to be honest he''s done OK but we really need to be building a younger more Hungary squad, so not overly bothered to lose a few older players.

[quote user="Indy"]There''s a reason we have so many good youngsters which will require development time on the pitch.

No bad thing to be honest he''s done OK but we really need to be building a younger more Hungary squad, so not overly bothered to lose a few older players.[/quote]
Not sure, think there''s better international squads than Hungary to base ourselves on.

[quote user="Indy"]There''s a reason we have so many good youngsters which will require development time on the pitch.

No bad thing to be honest he''s done OK but we really need to be building a younger more Hungary squad, so not overly bothered to lose a few older players.[/quote]

I don''t know any good players for Hungary.Perhaps Budapest Canary does.

Would have been a useful squad member but we need to build a team around younger players. Don''t think we would have seen much of him last season had it not been for Tettey''s injury, so no great loss.

Oh yes, we need to be building a squad of younger players who can continue their progression into the prem, hard players to find but that''s what we need. ONeil is just the sort of guy we need in a squad of younger pros, very sad to see him go.

Seems I''m the only one disappointed with this news, if its true.

He has guts, experience and is one of the few leaders on the pitch that we have. Very valuable qualities if we are looking to play some of the younger players.

Not suggesting he would have been a regular starter but he is a decent backup to Tetty at this level. We only have one holding midfield player left in Tetty and he may not be here. Looks like a bigger rebuilding job than I was hoping for is on its way - particularly if the rumors about Bennett leaving end up being true.

O''Neil and Bennett are not the ones I would have chosen to show the door.

Not overly bothered by this to be honest; O''Neill''s workrate is obviously beyond reproach and he has some leadership skills (although that sending-off was an utter disgrace) but realistically talent-wise he''s a very average player at the end of his career; the fact that it''s Bristol City and not one of the top teams clamouring to sign him says it all really.

I wouldn''t have minded if he stuck around to give us experience next season but there are honestly much better players out there, so I don''t see his exit as a major blow to our chances. We need to be building a younger, stronger team anyhow. Good luck to him if he thinks the grass is greener in Bristol.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"][quote user="Haggerdoo"]Article below reckons he''s turned us down - had a medical with Bristol City and set to be unveiled today

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Ambitious-Bristol-City-line-free-transfer-Norwich/story-29380203-detail/story.html
[/quote] If we cannot offer him better terms than Bristol, I give up. He would be good at our new level. Shame Witts soon grabbed whatever AN was silly enought to offer. Make me wonder if there is a Scottish mafia at work at our club. Only have to see how poor our Scottish coaches have been as evidence. If AN is outside the play off by Xmas ...........[/quote]

Some more good news.

More people voting to remain than leave in that other thread and now this news [:(][:@]F*CK IT!!

Not overly surprised. There was always a chance someone could come in with something better.

He was a bit-part player last time we got promoted as we only needed Tettey in that role.

Hopefully we will return to playing more possession-based attacking football this year and won''t need as much emphasis on parking the bus as we did in the Premier League.

don''t think he would get in ahead of Howson, tettey and dorrans in the championship.

Also got to bare in mind he was offered a 2 year contract and I can''t imagine us giving him more than a year, and a far easier commute than he''s currently doing!

The Great Wall Of Tettey wrote the following post at 09 Jun 2016 3:11 PM:

don''t think he would get in ahead of Howson, tettey and dorrans in the championship.

Also got to bare in mind he was offered a 2 year contract and I can''t imagine us giving him more than a year, and a far easier commute than he''s currently doing!

Tettey is nowhere able to handle a 46 match season. Take away his guaranteed yellow card bans that''s still 20 matches more than he could fully contribute to. If Dorrans leaves then we''s be in big trouble.