Sign in to follow this  
king canary

We've Extended Michael Turner's Contract

The following players have had one-year options triggered, so are now contracted to the Club until June 2017:

Jamie Eaton-Collins 
Wes Hoolahan 
Ben Killip 
Alexander Tettey 
Michael Turner 

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/norwich-city-contracts-3139779.aspx#csC5BDXtVPkEU4qT.99

Strange that you decided to focus on the perceived negative aspect of the story, how about

WES HOOLAHAN & ALEX TETTEY are still with us!

Since they''re triggered options - maybe it''s just so we actually get a bit of a fee for him?

I can''t imagine any fee we''d get would be enough to justify his wage for the next month or two.

I''m concerned as we seem to be hanging on to old players who have barely featured in the team. The squad is pretty bloated and I really don''t see the need to be extending players who are at best 3rd/4th choice in their position.

Yes it is great that Wes and Tettey are here but I don''t think there is any news in those as nobody was expected we wouldn''t keep them. Looking at the retained list Turner was the name that jumped out.

Sad to see so many youngsters that looked promising leave especially King and Loza.

We need more coaches for development of players between under 21 and full team. It is no good loaning them to smaller teams whose coaches have no interest in their future.

[quote user="king canary"]I can''t imagine any fee we''d get would be enough to justify his wage for the next month or two.

I''m concerned as we seem to be hanging on to old players who have barely featured in the team. The squad is pretty bloated and I really don''t see the need to be extending players who are at best 3rd/4th choice in their position.

Yes it is great that Wes and Tettey are here but I don''t think there is any news in those as nobody was expected we wouldn''t keep them. Looking at the retained list Turner was the name that jumped out.[/quote]
I suppose it might indicate a big defence clear out - Bassong, Bennett etc and Turner was worth retaining as back up? Obviously I don''t know, just trying to speculate. Can''t see why else we''d have done it.

The positive view on it-

We''re going to get rid of Bassong and Bennett for decent fees, Martin will mainly feature at right back and we''ll bring in one new center back to play next to Klose with Turner being 4th choice.

The negative-

We''re going to sell Klose, not sign a center back and use Turner as backup to Martin/Bassong. Whittaker was resigned as Martin remains first choice center back.#

It probably lies somewhere between the two but I can''t deny I''m leaning more towards the latter.

We''re keeping some experiemced back up at centre back which makes sense at the moment.

As a fan, rather than an accountant, I see no reason to moan.

Stonewall Turner never let us down. He might have been useful at times last season, the end couldn''t have been any the worse after all.

He might be limited but he is good at what he does do and certainly knew how to direst a header into the back of the net, a skill mostly absent with Bassong and Bennett.

Not upset at this. As some have said, a useful foot-soldier in the Chumps and decent back up.

I also envisage the dream scenario of us getting a few bob for Bassong and Bennett, signing a decent centre back, keeping hold of Klose and having Turner and Martin in reserve. The second phase of that might be the hardest to achieve.

How busy have our scouts been? That is the question?

Was a bit confused by this news until I read that the three one-year options were actually triggered by our promotion last year, so in essence the players have been under contract until 2017 since Wembley.

In that regard I don''t think that changes our stance towards MT. I think he''ll still be winding his way out of Carrow Road.

Has anyone watched him play at all this season ?  He played 12 times at Wednesday apparently.  The only feedback I''ve heard from Wednesday fans was that he was solid but slow.

Keeping him as backup - no idea if he''s good enough for that.  It must mean the club are expecting to lose at least one CB.  Can''t see us getting any fee out of selling him.

Different kettle of fish to Whittaker, who is a quality player but too slow for the Prem so fine as backup in the championship.

So a bit of a concern on why this has been decided TBH.

Can''t imagine Turner has much committment or allegiance to NCFC any more. As a professional, I hope he would do a good job if asked to, but common sense would indicate that he is a back up at best, or available for loan out elewhere, as before.  Can''t imagine he would command much of a fee, anyway.

[quote user="Mason 47"]Was a bit confused by this news until I read that the three one-year options were actually triggered by our promotion last year, so in essence the players have been under contract until 2017 since Wembley. In that regard I don''t think that changes our stance towards MT. I think he''ll still be winding his way out of Carrow Road.[/quote]

That''s what I''d heard before - that Turner''s contract was automatically extended when we were promoted back up.  Which makes sense but the Pinkun article reads like it was a decision just announced by the club.

Anyway, extending contracts for Hoolahan and Tettey both make sense.

We can always loan him out again. That takes care of the wages issue.As with Whittaker, it looks like a pragmatic decision on behalf of the club.  Uninspiring, yes. But it keeps the club''s options open at this point.Although it might suggest that one of the other centre backs is expected to move on this summer.

Let me put it like this...

Would you be happy if we''d have signed a 32 year old center half who played 11 games last season on a free transfer? I wouldn''t be. That is essentially what we''ve done here.

If Jerome leaves we can push him up top like we did Doc the legend!

To look at that and the first thought is "Michael turner! Goddam"

Says a lot

My thought is "Tettey and wes have extended contracts, excellent"

Then

"Michael turner! Goddam!"

Like people have said, extending his deal doesn''t mean he will be in the starting 11 or even anywhere near the team. I suspect this is all hedging of bets. I''m more concerned at the players we are targeting.

@Buh

I don''t think it does really- I think most people (myself included) knew Tettey had the one year option and that the club would take it up.

I think most people who looked at that list would have been pleased but not surprised to see him retained. The name that jumped out was Turner. Pretty simple.

@BYG

Fair enough if that is the case.

Some of our defenders could learn a bit from him in terms of ball winning, having some presence and throwing yourself infront of things.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The extension in Turner''s contract was automatically activated when Norwich were promoted.

Club had no choice.[/quote]Why, then, was it not announced last summer that his contract had been automatically extended to 2017? Seems weird to sit on that information for a whole year.

ref Turner another old pro on higher wages taken up a squad place rather than than a younger hungry CB

who we could we could mould into a decent player who could play and learn with klose gaining experience so if / when we went up we would have two players who had a partnership

keeping the likes of turner and whitts stops us growing as a team

2 squad places taken up where 2 up and coming players could be , the team with never improve unless you have people pushing the 1st team players for places

[quote user="lake district canary"]Can''t imagine Turner has much committment or allegiance to NCFC any more. As a professional, I hope he would do a good job if asked to, but common sense would indicate that he is a back up at best, or available for loan out elewhere, as before.  Can''t imagine he would command much of a fee, anyway.[/quote]
Bloody hell, welcome back Lakey. When did you last make an appearance?

Yes, welcome back LDC.

Now that its been explained why we''ve triggered the 1 year extension, and how it has no influence on whether they will still be here on the 1st day of the season, I''m interested in people''s thoughts on the loss of the 8 youngsters and O''Neil.

I guess King, Hall-Johnson, Norman and especially Loza stand out, but will we regret releasing them?

Turner is great at this level, and fantastic back-up. Especially if any other CB''s go, it''s hard to find a better reserve than Turner who has shown before he is still a very good player if called upon.

As for the rest, totally expected. Loza is getting too old to sit in the youth team, and the others just aren''t better than other options in youth system. Sadly the signings of young players like Thompson, Maddison and McGrandles means youth coming through our ranks from local means need to be extremely talented to stand a chance of making the grade. I''m sure all of those released will find employment elsewhere in the lower leagues though and I wish them all luck.

as for Tettey and Hoolahoop, well, no brainers really!

Maybe, Just maybe (I know the haters will find it hard to accept) but, just maybe, possibly, might have, not impossible that the club have had a couple of enquiries about Turner from lower Champs / Div 1 clubs looking for an experienced defender, and by extending his contract the value increases, even by just a couple of hundred thousand at no cost to us, WOW wouldn''t that be viewed as a club in control of its own destiny ?

Following the fiasco that was last-August we attempted to play in the PL with a championship defence. Perhaps, we are planning to play in the championship with a league one defence.

@Lessingham

That makes no sense. Why would a club ''enquire'' to us about a player that is going to be out of contract at the end of the season? They''d just ''enquire'' to the player or the players agent.