Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Is the club in crisis?

Bowkett and McNally walk out.

Balls and Delia''s nephew walk in.

It doesn''t seem a stretch to suggest we lost business and football sense in favour of sentiment and nepotism.

Now we read in the Times that we have not replaced the CEO but asked an agency to sell our players and sort transfers.

O''Neill jumped asap. Possibly...

Anyway - is it too much to suggest that the club is in crisis. That a power struggle came in the board between a tired old guard of Delia and chums versus the ambitions of Bowkett and McNally. The old guard dug in- the forward looking left frustrated and we are back to the days of Doomy esque calamity.

I am worried. Things dont feel good at all.

Do others agree?

No. Get the CEO situation sorted, get a few decent signings in and don''t sell anyone on the cheap and we''re fine.

I''ll be concerned if we start seeing people like Redmond and Brady leave for small fees, we don''t sign anyone and we let the CEO situation drag out. But right now we''re fine.

I think it''s funny that many on here were indicating that a bit of a squad clear-out was needed - an opinion I agreed with. Now it is happening, and people are wondering if there is a ''crisis''.I admit that the CEO position needs to be filled, but as far as the squad goes, I think what is happening is what needs to happen.I''ll reserve judgement until the end of the transfer window to see where we end up.

A lot of this pant wetting over the past day or so stems solely from the fact an ageing O''Neil left us purely because we wouldn''t offer him more than a year whilst Bristol offered him two. I can''t blame him for leaving us, but it also makes no sense to keep him on board when ideally we need to rebuild our squad and therefore replace him with younger blood. If we''re in this position with a couple of days of the transfer window left, then yes, proceed to question if the club is on the verge of breakdown, but when the window hasn''t even opened yet we''ve not really had a chance to bring in new players, have we?

There''s no doubt and will agree it''s not the situation we''ve ever been in going into a new season, we do lack some areas at board level, we have big questions at management level and we have a lot of older players coming to the last year of contract. Not the greatest tune for our club.

But we do have some of the best youngsters with high potential, something we''ve lacked recently.

It looks like the club is going through transition and come August we will have a better idea weather the concerned were right to be or the usual brigade that always stick up for the board were right!

It''s going to be an interesting time for the club.

Flipping auto correct, yep a few mistakes in my post before the grammar police pull me up!

Dear Worried of Tunbridge Wells,

Ed & Tom have business experience, what is ''football sense''?

Your third sentence should read "Now we read in the Times that as have not replaced the CEO we asked an agency to sell the players who want to leave and sort their transfers which is good business practise.

O''Neill was out of contract and was able to negotiate a signing on fee at Bristol.

Yours,

Dear Deirdre.

Crazy to let McNally go, even worse to let him go without any idea on a replacement. Now we will struggle during a limited time that we can make transfers.

But still posters are calling for a clear out and for players to be "shown the door"

Most championship clubs would love to buy our players, even some premiership teams. Are we that confident that these players would not come back to hurt us and that we can find better players?

Be careful what you wish for.

Crisis no but not to much confidence

board level

no CEO so no real leader or person guiding / planning for future season who is telling the managers what is needed and targets for next year or future interim will keep us ticking over but Stone is not Mcnally

management / coaches

i have my doubts when AN arrived / half of season ( champs ) he could do no wrong looked like he could motivate organise had tactics

really looked like a bright spark maybe lambert mark II

last season he looked lost when another young manager ( howie ) stuck to their beliefs and got success ,

our manager started to clutch at straws changing team /players players looked off pace unfit

in game management let us down when we were in front in games and ended up losing etc

coaching of fat frankie and gary holt didnt seem to improve anyone or inspire

so maybe not a crisis but the way the club is set up its nice comfortable friendly

we need winners / direction / passion

Mcnally had that maybe to much sometimes ! But he was a big big leader of the club

AN ( who i dont rate ) has a massive season in front of him

will he buy right ?

will he build a team not players in slots ?

we he find a system to play ?

will his coaches improve the youngsters ?

these are the things i worry about most

Well, despite what the delude Pink''un

Mafia would have you believe, the club certainly isn''t going in the

right direction. All of the noises coming out of the club seem to

indicate that things are far from rosy in the garden. Bowkett

quitting a week after re-election at the AGM, the will he won''t he

debacle that was McNally''s departure, O''Neill jumping ship to Bristol

City; a team that struggled for much of last season, the talk that

Brady, Redmond, Tettey, Klose, Bennett and others could follow him

out of the club, murmurs in the national press that the club is not

as financially sound as we have been led to believe, reports that

there is nobody at the club that is capable of arranging transfers so

this role has been outsourced to a couple of private firms that I

doubt will put the club''s best interest ahead of their profit. These

are not the stories that you hear from a club on the up. It

all screams that there is most definitely trouble brewing. We seem to

lack strong leadership and it appears that those who are in positions

of leadership at the club don''t really have a plan as to what

direction the club should take to move forwards.

My biggest concern is that last season,

from beginning to end, had a similar feel to it as the 2004 -05

season and so far this year is shaping up to have a similar feel to

the 05-06 season where we wasted our best opportunity to get

promoted, started a steady decline which ended with Glen Roeder being

appointed as our “saviour” and a trip to the lower reaches of the

Football League pyramid, which was swiftly followed by the club''s

most embarrassing performance ever against Colchester. Make no

mistake about it this season, with Villa, Newcastle, Derby and

Wednesday, to name but a few, all in the division it will be much

trickier to get promoted than it was two seasons ago, and we did our

best to bodge that up.

But I am sure that this will be

dismissed as “pant wetting” by those with their heads buried in

the sand.

I don''t agree with everything you say IBT but some of that is spot on.

This last season did feel like 04/05 with us leaving our investment too late and I''m hearing the same quotes from fans this season about how this squad is easily good enough to bounce back without many additions.

There has been a steady drip feed of bad press recently that it is difficult to judge the truth of but the more you hear the more it begins to concern me.

Well, I''ll leave it to the delude Pink''un Mafia to try to type a response with their heads buried in the sand.

But can I point out it''s "good business practice"...

Practise = perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to acquire, improve or maintain proficiency in it.

Practice =

the actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method, as opposed to theories relating to it.

I really don''t understand, unless you have a vendetta against the club, how you could use the Gary O''Neil situation as something to attack the club with. It''s fairly clear - Bristol City offered him 2 years. I''d be very surprised if we offered more than one. I''m sure if we''d offered 2 we''d have got him. But then fans would equally have complained that we offered a 2 year contract to a 33 year old.

The unease felt by some fans is understandable. Relegation and the departure of the club''s CEO leads to uncertainty both on and off the pitch.

But I don''t see a crisis right now. I see a club in transition.

If, come the end of August, we don''t have a new CEO, have lost our better players and have failed to bring in suitable replacements, then I''ll reconsider. But right now things are simply changing. Patience is required.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]The unease felt by some fans is understandable. Relegation and the departure of the club''s CEO leads to uncertainty both on and off the pitch. But I don''t see a crisis right now. I see a club in transition. If, come the end of August, we don''t have a new CEO, have lost our better players and have failed to bring in suitable replacements, then I''ll reconsider. But right now things are simply changing. Patience is required.[/quote]

Oh dear.  Maybe time to give the Pink''un a break then....

Depends what is classed as a crisis. Financially, no, we are stable and nowhere near  the situation  we were in at the start of the L1 campaign. But things  are changing more quickly these days, with only 2 seasons of parachute payments now. The big question is, will our squad be good enough to have a shot at promotion this year, because if  it is not, then next years close season will be hugely more critical than this close season, as the amount of City players out of contract will be mind numbing.None of us know what our squad could look like come early August, but the reports that agencies have been given the command to get the highest possible  fees for Redders, Brady and Jerome is a bit worrying. Redders we expect to leave, Brady  maybe, but disapointing, but Jerome?...with Loza  now leaving, that leaves us with just Lafferty and Ricky VW. For those who thought it improbable these two would ever be in a City starting line up again...well..makes u think.If Klose goes, and Benno is sold, leaves us with Martin, Bassong and Turner in the  CB department. Lot of "ifs" there, but if things worked that way, we are looking at mid table  finish, huge issues player wise next close season and Delia and Co.  coing to reality that we will be a Wolves, Leeds and yes...Ip..., type of club.To me that is looking at a negative but quite possible scenario, our club back as it was in the 2000s, not crisis as the L1 season, but a very average ordinary Champs club.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Depends what is classed as a crisis. Financially, no, we are stable and nowhere near  the situation  we were in at the start of the L1 campaign. But things  are changing more quickly these days, with only 2 seasons of parachute payments now. The big question is, will our squad be good enough to have a shot at promotion this year, because if  it is not, then next years close season will be hugely more critical than this close season, as the amount of City players out of contract will be mind numbing.None of us know what our squad could look like come early August, but the reports that agencies have been given the command to get the highest possible  fees for Redders, Brady and Jerome is a bit worrying. Redders we expect to leave, Brady  maybe, but disapointing, but Jerome?...with Loza  now leaving, that leaves us with just Lafferty and Ricky VW. For those who thought it improbable these two would ever be in a City starting line up again...well..makes u think.If Klose goes, and Benno is sold, leaves us with Martin, Bassong and Turner in the  CB department. Lot of "ifs" there, but if things worked that way, we are looking at mid table  finish, huge issues player wise next close season and Delia and Co.  coing to reality that we will be a Wolves, Leeds and yes...Ip..., type of club.To me that is looking at a negative but quite possible scenario, our club back as it was in the 2000s, not crisis as the L1 season, but a very average ordinary Champs club.[/quote]

So you''re assuming that we''re not going to sign anyone then?? - surely the money from sale of Redmond and Brady will finance new players

A measured good post Essjayess. There is much uncertainty at the moment with the indications that better players are likely to leave, the hiatus caused by the Euros and lack of leadership ( seemingly). I have less confidence than for a long time. But, I think July is critical. We need next years'' team more or less in place by late July at the latest. It all feels to me like Adams'' end of season drift 2 seasins ago but that following season turned out ok. Patience is required and we are in a holding period at the moment. Other similarly positioned clubs are recruiting but not at any high end. Perhaps we will be ambitious. So far it''s Whittaker signed on.

I have a strong sense (intuition) that it''s going to be an underwhelming season ahead, rarely in trouble and not threatening the top places. Yet all will unfold won''t it. And after 10 games and we are sat in 14th place you can just imagine this forum. Maybe the one great positive is a time to really see if Toffolo, the Murphy twins, Maddison and perhaps Morris can start to create / influence a new younger player team, headed by the likes of Howson as captain?

Loza has been released so clearly AN doesn''t think he''ll make the grade.  Selling Redders is predictable and necessary given he won''t sign a new contract.  If we can sell Brady, frankly he''s looked poor for the last half of the season.

The only thing of concern mentioned by the Times story is that Jerome might be on the market too.  Well, it could be rubbish.  Or given the report he was offered a new deal a few days before, you could put 2+2 together and conclude he''s refused that new deal.  Which would be a real pity because he''s a top class championship striker and we could really do with him.  But at the moment it''s all speculation.

Haven''t posted for a while and now can''t log in but it''s me lol

Some people really do need to get a grip and stop believing everything they read in newspapers and the rubbish some of the people who profess to be ''''in the know'''' tell you on here.

I''m confident our club is in safe hands, there wont be a mass exodus and that Alex will get it right this season

I think the NCFC board is actually going ''full circle'' and to me not dissimilar to the board collective of 8 seasons ago......And personally, I don''t really think it''s for the better......The current board set-up doesn''t instil me with confidence for the future. Not a ''crisis'' at the moment but, certainly ''confusion''......

Nothing wrong with selling Jerome he''s utter s--t and the sooner hes gone the better , then get rid of Martin and the signings can begin .

Not sure it''s crisis yet, but I certainly don''t think things are great

And I certainly don''t think Alex Neil should still be in charge but we''ll have to see how things go

[quote user="sonyc"]

I have a strong sense (intuition) that it''s going to be an underwhelming season ahead, rarely in trouble and not threatening the top places. Yet all will unfold won''t it. And after 10 games and we are sat in 14th place you can just imagine this forum. Maybe the one great positive is a time to really see if Toffolo, the Murphy twins, Maddison and perhaps Morris can start to create / influence a new younger player team, headed by the likes of Howson as captain?[/quote]

Kind of echoes what I have been thinking.  Such a difficult season last year, with plenty of good performances but without results and with certain players leaving, it does seem like we are in transition - again.  I really hope we get our younger players bedded in with Vadis and Howson as the midfield powerhouse.  If the enthusiasm of youth and the experience of those two can be harnessed, we could still do well and build momentum to another promotion run towards the end of the season. One thing that AN was known for at Hamilton was his ability to blood young players and get them playing - he hasn''t had the luxury of being able to do that in the season and a half he has been here so far - now could be the time to do it.

In the clubs management, or lack of it, the answer must be yes.

In the playing side, when we extend the contracts of Turner and Whitts, two who never played, the answer has also got to be yes.

Probably all doubts will be erased if they offer the same to Bassong and Martin

We are setting the bar very low, and when the sale of some of the better players is announced will will end up a mid table club, probably for many years. It''s clear that Brady will jump ship, as he did at Hull, and we all know Nathan will. Can''t say I blame them with all the uncertainty within in club.

I fear that our future transfer may come from north of the border, and look how that''s worked so far!

We will need a DMC and PL , and frankly that happens once in a lifetime.

I''m also very concerned that we are heading for a period of transition and who knows how long that may last. Some of the decisions since the end of last season have been underwhelming to say the least (so far anyway).

My greatest concern is AN who I just don''t think is up to the vey considerable task of chopping out the deadwood and rebuilding a new team.

I have felt since Christmas that he is the wrong man, although I accept I was very much in the minority.

We could do with two or three pieces of exciting news to boost spirits.