Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Redmond rejects new Canaries deal

I agree with you, but I also agree with Eadie. I think Redmond has served us well in the time he''s been here, we expected him to be at this club about this long and for the sake of him and the three lions, it''s probably best for him to move to a club where he is surrounded by quality.

[quote user="lappinitup"]I think Highland is an old desktop PC running Windows 95, programed to send wailing ''n whining  ''n whingeing ''n whimpering posts on to this site (the software is perfectly matched), at regular intervals.I mean, it has to be a machine, because no human being could be that miserable could they?[/quote]Ah, but he''s probably still using dial-up internet access which compliments Windows 95 and being miserable perfectly.

I''m dubious whether he''d ever be good enough to play for England, and my only priority is Norwich TBH.

Some posters are assuming we''d be better off having Redmond here this season, quite a few though saying "if AN can get the best out of him" etc, but there''s the rub.  He''s not signing a contract extension for a reason .... so the chances of us getting a good contribution from him next season are poor.  So IMO we''re better off cashing in and using the money to get in players who want to be here.  Assuming we can sell him for a decent price, and why not ?

Some are saying it depends which is more important - trying to get promotion or cashing in on his value, but I think that''s misconceived.  The question is which gives us the better chance of promotion - keeping Redmond for a final year when he''d clearly rather move on (and then losing him for a tribunal fee), or getting as much money as we can for him now and using it to strengthen the squad ?

We don''t have to keep him for a year.

We could sell him during the Winter window if his contribution falls below expectations.

This ''panic window'' is known for over-priced dealings. We might not lose out, we might get even more.

I personally think England could do with a decent player on the flanks, Walcott, Townsend and Sterling are hardly setting the world alight atm and perhaps a couple more seasons under an experienced manager and decent players, Nathan can play for England.

He only scored 6 goals for us last time we were in the Championship and I think we could find those 6 goals if we we are given a half decent percentage of the transfer fee to invest in the first team squad, which I''m sure will happen if we would let one of our first team players leave.

Redmond is our most significant threat. If we are to field a team of Whittaker, Turner, Jerome et al next season we shall need Redmond more than ever. £11m from Southampton would be a fire sale price.

£11m would be far from a fire-sale price: for all the ''he''s our only threat'' rubbish, he hasn''t even nailed down a definite starting place under 3 different managers here. This fire-sale just isn''t going to happen but it is clear that some players will be sold, as happened when we were last relegated and, indeed, as happens just about every season.

If Southampton is where he ends up, and its around the 11 million mark, i believe its a good sell, especially once the realism of the details kick in.

Agreed Bor.

The market is sure to take another price hike with the new tv deal.

Nathan leaving was inevitable once the new contract went unsigned but he''s a young, British attacking talent - our new agency''s first report "could do better"

There were several reports yesterday saying he has an £8m release clause in his contact. Am I wrong in saying that it therefore won''t effectively be an auction, more a question of which team he wants to join? Why would any buying club pay above the release price, if this is accurate?

[quote user="Fuzzar"]There were several reports yesterday saying he has an £8m release clause in his contact. Am I wrong in saying that it therefore won''t effectively be an auction, more a question of which team he wants to join? Why would any buying club pay above the release price, if this is accurate?[/quote]

I''d be very surprised if there was a release clause set at 8m, might be, but I would have assumed he would have gone

Last time we were relegated if it was that low.

Fuzzar

There were several reports yesterday saying he has an £8m release clause in his contact. Am I wrong in saying that it therefore won''t effectively be an auction, more a question of which team he wants to join? Why would any buying club pay above the release price, if this is accurate?

That is my understanding, even if more than one club is interested it will come down to where the player wants to go, rather than the higher bidder.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Redmond is our most significant threat. If we are to field a team of Whittaker, Turner, Jerome et al next season we shall need Redmond more than ever. £11m from Southampton would be a fire sale price.[/quote]
You''re one of the worst posters ever to grace this messageboard. Happy to spout rubbish at an alarming rate, yet when anyone calls you up on it, you ignore them.
Like I said to you last time, if you genuinely believe we see Turner as a starter (which was your complaint in the thread about his contract being extended), then for Nutty''s Rays Funds, if Turner starts first game of the season i''ll put £10 in. If not, you do. Small money, for someone who makes such bold statements.

Well if there''s a release clause at £8m that does rather change things - certainly no one can complain at the fee if it has effectively been set in his contract. This does go counter to reports of Stoke closing in at £10m and Saints at £11m, though.

I believe Brum get 15% of any profit over the £3.2m paid - so for £11m we''d keep a tad over £9.8m.

I''d be surprised if he has this £8m release clause- if he does why did nobody activate it when we last went down?

Latest is that the Saints are in @ £11m. (EDP ... Norwich transfer news.)

Let''s hope it''s the beginning of an auction. West Brom and West Ham are also mentioned, as well as Stoke''s initial reported interest.

Release clause or not, it doesn''t matter if there is an auction, although the player''s choice of clubs could determine it.

Hogesar wrote (to Highland Canary)

Like I said to you last time, if you genuinely believe we see Turner as a starter (which was your complaint in the thread about his contract being extended), then for Nutty''s Rays Funds, if Turner starts first game of the season i''ll put £10 in. If not, you do. Small money, for someone who makes such bold statements.

I firmly believe that was a typo and Highland missed a zero off, so should have read "i''ll put £100 in", well done Highland !!