Sign in to follow this  
Willmeister

Norwich appoint agencies to sell players

I do agree with LDC to a degree. Often FDs do temporarily step into the role of CEO and it''s certainly not unheard of them to assume that role permanently in other organisations.

Perhaps the finance director of a football club should ideally have enough knowledge to step in and assume a more substantial role, should, as has happened with us, the unthinkable happen.

If we had someone on the board who had football experience and expertise just maybe he/she could grasp the nettle and step in which would dispense with the need to use agencies.People seem to me happy for us to throw money at this problem we currently have and wheeling and dealing in the transfer market yet i am sure will be the first to moan if the price of tickets go up or there is an increase in the price of merchandise or programmes etc.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]I think this whole thing does rather show how some people don''t really seem to understand Finance/Business; the CEO left suddenly, there''s not really a line of progression unless the FD gets it (at least as interim) and these things have to take time .

The process put in place seems sensible and AN has stated he''s happy wth it: it hasn''t stopped contracts being offered/extended and players being released, we''ll just have to see how it pans out for purchases and sales, but these ''agencies'' are working for us and we''re not going to buy or sell players if we don''t want to.[/quote]

Can you answer this then. Why wasn''t there a line of progression? If a key member of staff in any company/organisation leaves, there ought to be someone who can step in and do the job, even if only temporarily.  

[/quote]In theory, yes. But my understanding (and I don''t think I am alone in believing this to be true) is that McNally was so dominant a figure, running pretty much every aspect of the business, that there was no-one to step up. Indeed you can even imagine McNally arranging it that way to try to make himself indispensable. I further understand the aim of the board, with Balls as chairman, is to make sure we don''t anymore allow the CEO that kind of autocratic power.

When you have members of club staff saying that they were scared of McNally when he was around or that he was hated and dispised coupled with a very senior person at the club saying he had the owners in the palm of his hand is it really surprising we now have a void due to his departure ? Maybe we might just find out now why he was on gardening leave from Fulham before he was appointed at our club. He was what we needed back in 2009 but the stories coming from within in recent times appear to show all was not a happy camp. Bowkett left for a very good reason and it was not because he no longer saw eye to eye with Delia.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I don''t know whose byline is on the story but the only reporter who sometimes seems to have an inside track on what is happening at Carrow Road is Charlie Wyett. Most of the nationals simply do not have a clue, and whoever this reporter is cannot even get the name of the interim CEO right.[/quote]The other (perhaps more likely) explanation is that the story has been leaked by one or both agencies to the press.Lots of things aren''t looking very good. Outsourcing the selling of players to football agencies smacks of the club not being able to continue to function independently, and a lack of organisation and planning. Even if our CEO leaves, we should still be able to negotiate sales without having to worry about whether we''re getting a good deal or being taken for a ride.One obvious question is that if McNally had been kept away from negotiations in the recent past, then why are we only now employing football agents to perform this role? We''ve had a while in which to get our house in order, but seem to have failed in this task.We enter into the second transfer window in a row half-cocked. We''re in a massive hole, but at least others on here are starting to recognise what I''ve been saying for the last few months.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I don''t know whose byline is on the story but the only reporter who sometimes seems to have an inside track on what is happening at Carrow Road is Charlie Wyett. Most of the nationals simply do not have a clue, and whoever this reporter is cannot even get the name of the interim CEO right.[/quote]The other (perhaps more likely) explanation is that the story has been leaked by one or both agencies to the press.Lots of things aren''t looking very good. Outsourcing the selling of players to football agencies smacks of the club not being able to continue to function independently, and a lack of organisation and planning. Even if our CEO leaves, we should still be able to negotiate sales without having to worry about whether we''re getting a good deal or being taken for a ride.One obvious question is that if McNally had been kept away from negotiations in the recent past, then why are we only now employing football agents to perform this role? We''ve had a while in which to get our house in order, but seem to have failed in this task.We enter into the second transfer window in a row half-cocked. We''re in a massive hole, but at least others on here are starting to recognise what I''ve been saying for the last few months.[/quote]I think that is probably the case as far as the basic story (which I suspect is true) is concerned. What I am dubious about is the detail (including the football detail) added on by the reporter to the basic story, such as getting the CEO''s name wrong and the notion that we have put Cameron Jerome up for sale rather than wanting to keep him.

I would suggest that from Balls'' time at the treasury that he remembered probably the governments greatest success, selling the 3G licenses via auction. The auction system which was devised by game theory professors, ended up raising £22.5 billion, tenfold the estimates. Though some would argue the excess cost crippled £G investment in the long term :PSo I wouldn''t think it''s unheard of for Alex Neil to be resigned to Redmond leaving, and say Balls offering an agency 1%  of the sale price to drive the transfer fee up.

Just looking through this thread a little. Seems likely that no one will really be sure what is going on until it is done.

Brady, Redmond - well we knew that didn''t we? Surprising? Not really.

Jerome? In the last year of his contract now - and it is entirely possible that both are true. He has been offered a new contract and perhaps he is dragging his heels a little or the club are just ensuring that every angle is covered. Perhaps he has asked to leave, and like with O''Neil, the club are ensuring fans know that it is against their wishes?

That said, he has a year left on his contract, he''ll be 30 come the start of the season and cost us £1million. Yes he did well for us two seasons ago now. But he''s also shown that he can struggle in the premier league. So if a good offer comes in for him would that not be good business if the player does not want to stay?

Far too much to be interpreted at this early stage.

I find it odd that most people have been calling for the squad to be shaken up and yet O''Neil going and Brady and Redmond being linked with moves away has got hands in the air and people running around panicked telling us we''re sinking! Give it a few more weeks yet.

Oh and how good is the pinkun article on us possibly having offered Jerome a new contract?

Later in the article it says other than Lafferty and a returning RVW we''d have Morris and Loza . . . .

The very same Loza who was listed as one of the players we were releasing this summer . . . . .

[quote user="TIL 1010"]When you have members of club staff saying that they were scared of McNally when he was around or that he was hated and dispised coupled with a very senior person at the club saying he had the owners in the palm of his hand is it really surprising we now have a void due to his departure ? Maybe we might just find out now why he was on gardening leave from Fulham before he was appointed at our club. He was what we needed back in 2009 but the stories coming from within in recent times appear to show all was not a happy camp. Bowkett left for a very good reason and it was not because he no longer saw eye to eye with Delia.[/quote]

👍👍

Oh and how good is the pinkun article on us possibly having offered Jerome a new contract?

Later in the article it says other than Lafferty and a returning RVW we''d have Morris and Loza
9th June for that story. . . .

The very same Loza who was listed as one of the players we were releasing this summer . . .
. .10th June for that story.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Full article:-

"Norwich City have appointed two football agencies to handle all of their player sales this summer because of their concern about a lack of expertise and contacts within the club.

Key Sports Management and Base Soccer have been given a mandate to negotiate deals for players that are leaving in what is expected to be a busy summer at Carrow Road after the club’s relegation to the Sky Bet Championship.

Norwich put Cameron Jerome, Robbie Brady and Nathan Redmond up for sale
and have appointed the agencies in the hope of extracting the highest possible fees for their three star players.

The club are being run on a day-to-day basis by Simon Stone, the interim chief executive, after the departure of David McNally last month, but Norwich are concerned about his lack of experience. Stone joined Norwich as finance director last year, but it was the accountant’s first job in football.

Norwich have had interest in the three players that they are looking to sell to give Alex Neil, the manager, the funds to build a squad capable of returning to the Premier League. They have yet to receive a formal offer.

Middlesbrough are keen on Jerome as Aitor Karanka, the head coach, aims to add more firepower to his squad after their promotion, while Brady could return to Hull City 12 months after leaving them.

Redmond has attracted most interest, with Crystal Palace, West Ham United, Stoke City and Southampton all keen on the England Under-21 winger, who could command a fee of more than £10 million. Stoke and Southampton are leading the pursuit for Redmond."

I cannot make up my mind whether this is a shrewd move or tin-pot, panic style management.

We''ll see.

Perhaps Brady has indicated he wants to move on. The Hull interest now makes sense. We need a profit, Hull have replaced us as candidates for the new PL bonanza so we should try to cash in on it as well. £10m +?

We would be silly to sell Jerome given our current lack of decent strikers and the fact that he scored 18 goals in the Chumps last time around. £10m? (smiley.)

And, just like my house Nathan Redmond''s value increases by the day (another smiley.)[/quote]There is another alternative, which is that the story is not true or only partly true. I don''t know whose byline is on the story but the only reporter who sometimes seems to have an inside track on what is happening at Carrow Road is Charlie Wyett. Most of the nationals simply do not have a clue, and whoever this reporter is cannot even get the name of the interim CEO right.An obvious question is why two agencies. Another is the claim that these agencies will handle all our sales this summer. Really? If the new CEO has done this kind of thing before I would be very surprised if he or she didn''t take over once they have settled in. And what about buying players? Apparently these agencies are only dealing with outgoings.Is Jerome a star player that Premier League clubs would want? One of the highlights of the DVD of our previous relegation season was watching him miss chance after chance playing for Crystal Palace against us. And the remake from this last season will hit the club shop soon. Added to which a contrary story says we have offered Jerome, whose level is the Championship, a new deal. Which version seems more plausible?[/quote]The Times really is not what it was.

Well that story was a load of baloney. They said NCFC had put Jerome up for sale (amongst others).And today the club announced......."CITY are delighted to confirm a new

three-year contract for striker Cameron Jerome, with an option for the

Club to extend it by a further year."http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/cameron-jerome-norwich-city-new-contract-3140602.aspxAnother one bites the dust. [:D]

How much money are we throwing at these agencies then Tilson?

Do you actually have any facts?

As originally advised, there can be elements of truth from all angles.

Jerome has been offered a 3+1 deal, but this in no way means that NCFC didn''t simultaneously use outside agencies to sound out "the market" to see if anybody (Boro) fancied paying an attractive price to buy him.

It is quite usual for clubs to have an open, stated policy, yet silently (as possible) sound out diametrically opposed options (that might offend/distract/enrage players/their agents). The wiser of the football tribe accept that such Machiavellian approaches are endemic and often necessary/inevitable.

That some still consider NCFC to be run by naive, backwater do-gooders might well revise their opinions somewhat if the true ruthless nature of football dealings and transfer machinations were open to them.

Parma

Re: Norwich appoint agencies to sell players

In effect there is some truth in both sides to the equation.

Agencies provide a sounding board, pre-agreement service that is time-consuming and often futile. There is a lot of frog-kissing and many, many deals that are mooted, quite interesting, close to completing but fall down because of a chain, then the deals that get done that are seen publicly.

An outsourced, confidential, efficient agency can be highly valuable and very effective, well worth a percentage cut of any headline deal that completes.

Even with a CEO, a well-connected agency can be worth their weight in gold, particularly to those not at the top of the food chain.

Parm

Exactly Parma, it seems though, despite any real facts, the usual suspects can''t wait to brand this as another negative stick to beat the club with.

[quote user="morty"]How much money are we throwing at these agencies then Tilson?

Do you actually have any facts?[/quote]Good to see you reverting to your usual style and trying to make this personal but as you asked, the general vibes on this thread are that the story has some substance but unless you expect these agents to be working for nothing i think it reasonable to question how much their services are costing. Tilson indeed.......poor form old mate.

Please accept my deepest apologies that my phone autocorrected til to Tilson.

So do you have any actual facts then?

Having now read this whole thread again and finding my two posts amongst the six pages my first post doubted the whole story as published in The Times and my second one was suggesting that the Chairman and/or the act5ing CEO clarify the situation before rumour and tittle tattle caused unrest amongst the fans. No mention anywhere of the issue pointed directly and personally by Morty at me by name but hey when you have an agenda to run around playing the man and not the ball..........[;)]

Jesus Christ, you have literally morphed into a hybrid of Lakey and Victor Meldrew.

And the point is that, as usual, it''s you peddling the unsubstantiated tittle tattle.

You asked about me having facts concerning how much we were paying these alleged agents. Why ask me when i questioned the whole story as published in The Times in the first place and merely asked for clarification from the club that this story was true or false in my second post. How the heck you can ask me the question you posed. Did i start the thread.....no, have i stoked the fire on the issue....no so why you have singled me out is beyond me it really is.I didn''t believe the story regarding the situation of using an agency to tout our players around so stop trying to make me out to be the bad boy in this.

Anyone know whether it''s true that we used to use these agencies when McNally was in charge?

Were these the ones who negotiated Robby Brady''s transfer last summer? They gave Steve Bruce a headache with their shenanigans.