Sign in to follow this  
Willmeister

Norwich appoint agencies to sell players

[quote user="Ian"]Agreed Jim, perhaps this is to do with agents, but the stories coming from the media about the club do not add up to a positive feeling for me.[/quote]

I''m sure they are not all true but the problem is that for as long as we have a gaping hole in our boardroom and no public leadership from anyone at the club this sort of stuff is going to keep on coming out.

It''s been widely acknowledged on here that Cameron Jerome isn''t a Premier League striker so why would Boro want him? [:)]

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Ian"]Agreed Jim, perhaps this is to do with agents, but the stories coming from the media about the club do not add up to a positive feeling for me.[/quote] I''m sure they are not all true but the problem is that for as long as we have a gaping hole in our boardroom and no public leadership from anyone at the club this sort of stuff is going to keep on coming out.[/quote]

Or it could mean that they are doing it properly by appointing people with the relevant experience.

Rewind one year

Fans slate the board for lack of and useless transfer activity claiming that no one will deal with mcnally and the club are clueless in transfer dealings

Mcnally leaves so the club brings in agents with experience and knowledge to deal with transfers so we don''t get left behind in the window again

Yet same fans are still moaning, figure that

It was always on the cards that some players would move on if relegated, Brady and probably Klose will go either because they don''t want to play at this level or the club needs to line budgets and get wages down.

To put those of value on the transfers who are in their last season like Jerome, Redders etc, is sensible as if they don''t want a new contract they need to be moved on for maximum return.

It''s not unusual for any relegated club, I''d rather use agents than rely on Ed Balls to do the deals!

Do we now assume that the Football Board has been dispensed with ? I also note Steve Stone has changed his name to Simon. It is now getting around that some agents and players found McNally difficult to deal with so much so that some swerved him altogether but i do find all this difficult to believe.

This could be the norm for some clubs but i imagine that its not and clubs actually sort out the selling of their players from within, if we are only selling players thats not very reassuring also are we able to sort out the purchacing of players that we might want or do we need to pay another company to sort that out also? Without a CEO in charge we will be behind every other club that could possibly be after the same targets we are, and also this may be a problem with renewing contracts of the players that we do have.

We need to sort out a CEO and i know we could make a case for waiting to get the right person in for the job, but the chances are we will stick someone in who has never worked for a football club and then that will take time for them to understand about how a football club works, the chances of us getting someone decent who has worked at a club before is pretty slim isnt it.

Whether you employ agencies or not someone has to make the decisions.

It’s one thing to say get me the best price for this player that we have decided to sell (and/or who wants to go) and another to say ok that’s fine if that’s the best we can do.

Who has the power to decide who we need to keep and who we want to recruit?

Who decides what we are prepared to pay in fees and wages?

Where’s the leadership?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Or it could mean that they are doing it properly by appointing people with the relevant experience.

[/quote]I thought that''s what a Board is for?  If not what are they for?

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

I thought that''s what a Board is for?  If not what are they for?
[/quote]

Using Gap Analysis:

1. Identify Your Future State

2. Analyse Your Current Situation

3. Identify How You''ll Bridge the Gap

Press putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 IMO.

We do need to sell players - badly. Neil himself has said we need to freshen up.

Just midfield alone (even with o''neill gone):

1) tettey (30 plus)

2) mulumbu (30ish)

3) howson (28-29)

4) dorrans (29)

5) Vadis (injuries)

6) Thompson (good enough?)

7) Madison (maybe more attacking)

8) mcgrandles (doesn''t seem good enough)

9) Andreu (who?!)

10) Ben Godfrey (not sure ready, but why sign if never to play)

Not sure have missed any. But my point is if he wants to sign one, it''s fair we need to shift along 3 or 4 of these guys - wages must be huge.

Brady and Redmond almost sell themselves. But Andreu and Vadis - people will earn their money selling them.

The club has been awful at it over the last few years. Players leave when their contracts expire. We don''t get value for them. For me this is smart.

Let''s not forget we still own rvw, bassong etc. All on high wages and aren''t prem players.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

It''s been widely acknowledged on here that Cameron Jerome isn''t a Premier League striker so why would Boro want him? [:)]

[/quote]

Because they feel sorry for us and want to give us £10m.

the concern of this is it suggests that the people in charge dont have a fucking clue about football despite the duration of their reignthese agencies dont do things for free, so ultimately whatever transfers they do get involved in theyll be taking a chunk

idiotic!!!

how no one at the club is capable of dealing with the sale of a future england international, a current ireland international, and a prolific championship striker is beyond me.

rudderless ship

delia out

[quote user="iron_stan"]the concern of this is it suggests that the people in charge dont have a fucking clue about football despite the duration of their reignthese agencies dont do things for free, so ultimately whatever transfers they do get involved in theyll be taking a chunk

idiotic!!!

how no one at the club is capable of dealing with the sale of a future england international, a current ireland international, and a prolific championship striker is beyond me.

rudderless ship

delia out[/quote]^^This.  About time somebody said it.

As i put on another thread, I''ve been told that the stories of the clubs finances are true and the accounts when they come out will not look good. Do people think McNally would have resigned if there had been a financial reward bonus waiting for him? Redmond and Brady are going but Klose is staying.

The club were quick enough to tell us they appointed a firm to find a CEO so if ever there was a time for a further statement to clarify the policy for selling players today is the day before rumours and tittle tattle get out of hand and cause unrest amongst the fans.Ed Balls in his capacity as Chairman and Steve Stone as acting CEO need to show that the powers that be have a firm grip on the rudder. Where AN fits into this goodness knows as i doubt he is happy that some faceless wonder outside the corridors at Carrow Road is doing the hiring and firing of his troops.

There''s no reason at all for any ''unrest'' - just what did some of you think we were doing when Balls said we had a process in place? There are times when it is absolutely sensible, for commercial reasons, that stuff doesn''t get widely known otherwise you get knee jerk reactions from those that don''t ''get'' it.

TIL 1010 wrote: "Where AN fits into this goodness knows as i doubt he is happy that some faceless wonder outside the corridors at Carrow Road is doing the hiring and firing of his troops."
Why doubt it when AN has said himself that he is happy with the interim measures put in place while the search for a CEO goes on? And who said the agencies were "doing the hiring and firing"? I suppose you think, by parity of reasoning, that the headhunters commissioned to find a new CEO are actually going to appoint him, rather than the Board?

I think this whole thing does rather show how some people don''t really seem to understand Finance/Business; the CEO left suddenly, there''s not really a line of progression unless the FD gets it (at least as interim) and these things have to take time .

The process put in place seems sensible and AN has stated he''s happy wth it: it hasn''t stopped contracts being offered/extended and players being released, we''ll just have to see how it pans out for purchases and sales, but these ''agencies'' are working for us and we''re not going to buy or sell players if we don''t want to.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Full article:-

"Norwich City have appointed two football agencies to handle all of their player sales this summer because of their concern about a lack of expertise and contacts within the club.

Key Sports Management and Base Soccer have been given a mandate to negotiate deals for players that are leaving in what is expected to be a busy summer at Carrow Road after the club’s relegation to the Sky Bet Championship.

Norwich put Cameron Jerome, Robbie Brady and Nathan Redmond up for sale
and have appointed the agencies in the hope of extracting the highest possible fees for their three star players.

The club are being run on a day-to-day basis by Simon Stone, the interim chief executive, after the departure of David McNally last month, but Norwich are concerned about his lack of experience. Stone joined Norwich as finance director last year, but it was the accountant’s first job in football.

Norwich have had interest in the three players that they are looking to sell to give Alex Neil, the manager, the funds to build a squad capable of returning to the Premier League. They have yet to receive a formal offer.

Middlesbrough are keen on Jerome as Aitor Karanka, the head coach, aims to add more firepower to his squad after their promotion, while Brady could return to Hull City 12 months after leaving them.

Redmond has attracted most interest, with Crystal Palace, West Ham United, Stoke City and Southampton all keen on the England Under-21 winger, who could command a fee of more than £10 million. Stoke and Southampton are leading the pursuit for Redmond."

I cannot make up my mind whether this is a shrewd move or tin-pot, panic style management.

We''ll see.

Perhaps Brady has indicated he wants to move on. The Hull interest now makes sense. We need a profit, Hull have replaced us as candidates for the new PL bonanza so we should try to cash in on it as well. £10m +?

We would be silly to sell Jerome given our current lack of decent strikers and the fact that he scored 18 goals in the Chumps last time around. £10m? (smiley.)

And, just like my house Nathan Redmond''s value increases by the day (another smiley.)[/quote]There is another alternative, which is that the story is not true or only partly true. I don''t know whose byline is on the story but the only reporter who sometimes seems to have an inside track on what is happening at Carrow Road is Charlie Wyett. Most of the nationals simply do not have a clue, and whoever this reporter is cannot even get the name of the interim CEO right.An obvious question is why two agencies. Another is the claim that these agencies will handle all our sales this summer. Really? If the new CEO has done this kind of thing before I would be very surprised if he or she didn''t take over once they have settled in. And what about buying players? Apparently these agencies are only dealing with outgoings.Is Jerome a star player that Premier League clubs would want? One of the highlights of the DVD of our previous relegation season was watching him miss chance after chance playing for Crystal Palace against us. And the remake from this last season will hit the club shop soon. Added to which a contrary story says we have offered Jerome, whose level is the Championship, a new deal. Which version seems more plausible?

In effect there is some truth in both sides to the equation.

Agencies provide a sounding board, pre-agreement service that is time-consuming and often futile. There is a lot of frog-kissing and many, many deals that are mooted, quite interesting, close to completing but fall down because of a chain, then the deals that get done that are seen publicly.

An outsourced, confidential, efficient agency can be highly valuable and very effective, well worth a percentage cut of any headline deal that completes.

Even with a CEO, a well-connected agency can be worth their weight in gold, particularly to those not at the top of the food chain.

Parma

Agree with Purple.Folk are taking as gospel the newspaper piece as 100% true and working through endless scenarios from it, yet the writer can''t even get the name of our acting CEO right.Many football clubs use agencies for all manner of internal affairs, its hardly earth shattering news if we are.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]Agree with Purple.Folk are taking as gospel the newspaper piece as 100% true and working through endless scenarios from it, yet the writer can''t even get the name of our acting CEO right.Many football clubs use agencies for all manner of internal affairs, its hardly earth shattering news if we are.

[/quote]I suspect the story is essentially true, that we have appointed an agency to help us out (if not there would probably have been a denial from Carrow Road), but I am very wary of trusting the detail.

More middle-men, or the right way to go?

A cynical view: What with agents, agencies, legalities and Birmingham City to pay we might not end up with much at all from the Redmond sale then.

Less cynical: Do they work on a ''no sale no fee?'' basis?

What indicators are there that they can extract the most money from our sales? We get what other clubs are prepared to pay, after all.

No cynicism whatsoever: Know nothing of these agency people, but our Board should have deduced that they will prove their worth and potential buyers might well be wary of them and succumb to demands..

McNally is no longer pocketing his huge salary after all.

@Purple

The thing that makes me inclined to believe it is the noise coming from other sources too. For instance a good couple of weeks ago the Little Yellow Bird project tweeted that they expected us to sell Redmond, Brady and Jerome based on info which marries up with the Times story. Of course this could just be a case of both places having the same info from the same source.

If these were stories coming from places like Clubcall and the Daily Star I''d be inclined to be sceptical. The Times and the LYBP are not exactly none as spurious rumour mongers though.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I think this whole thing does rather show how some people don''t really seem to understand Finance/Business; the CEO left suddenly, there''s not really a line of progression unless the FD gets it (at least as interim) and these things have to take time .

The process put in place seems sensible and AN has stated he''s happy wth it: it hasn''t stopped contracts being offered/extended and players being released, we''ll just have to see how it pans out for purchases and sales, but these ''agencies'' are working for us and we''re not going to buy or sell players if we don''t want to.[/quote]

Can you answer this then. Why wasn''t there a line of progression? If a key member of staff in any company/organisation leaves, there ought to be someone who can step in and do the job, even if only temporarily.