Sign in to follow this  
curious yellow

Dorrans to Villa?

Yep just like Grabban bagged all those goals for Bournemouth!

He''s not that good, if Villa want him for a few million fine that might be the few million to keep Klose & Howson here!

Yes like we needed the money for Surman and Ayala.

Dorrans is good enough to help two teams to two promotions. It''s not going to make the slightest difference to Klose and Howson.

We could end up a wealthy division 1 team.

Dorrans to Villa or Redmond to Stoke, it''s the same, if true it seems to me we are taking the first offer for a player, the board should offer them to all clubs inviting the highest bid, if we are willing to let them go.

Dorrans is a quality player at Championship level. He has lots of experience of getting promoted out of the division. It would be complete suicide to let him go, especially to a rival.

Ayala and Surman like Dorrans found it hard to make the starting 11!

It''s pointless arguing the case anyhow, we have no say in the matter and AN will decide what he wants like those before us.

Surman and Ayala never got their teams promoted at our expense so it''s a little daft to point then out.

How about Snodgrass he''s just been promoted too!

[quote user="Indy"]Ayala and Surman like Dorrans found it hard to make the starting 11!

It''s pointless arguing the case anyhow, we have no say in the matter and AN will decide what he wants like those before us.

Surman and Ayala never got their teams promoted at our expense so it''s a little daft to point then out.

How about Snodgrass he''s just been promoted too![/quote]We''ve still got four to five players on the books who can play the role of Dorrans, Indy, but only one DMC in Tettey and there''s no certainty of him staying - so surely it''s a question of priorities? As to the premature releases of both Ayala & Surman, you''re blaming the wrong manager, son.

The point is that Surman and Ayala weren''t good enough for us and were cast aside as you would Dorrans.

There have been posts on this board recently complaining that we let them go and they are now in a league above us.

Losing Dorrans could be worse as it could be at our expense.

In our position, having the players to get us promoted is more important than the money. We will struggle to replace fringe players who will be vital once we get injuries.

Luckily I think our manager is sensible enough not to sell.

Yes, it is a squad game.

But then sometimes you have to do the right thing by players. If Villa (or Rangers) come along and tell Dorrans they want him to be first choice in midfield for them then maybe AN thinks he should do the decent thing because he only sees him as a bench player.

Please get realistic.

If rumours are true, then its good bye Dorrans and welcome to a defensive midfield player (possibly the one from France). Thats sensible as we dont know if Tettey is staying with us and if he does its unrealistic to expect 46 league games out of him.

Surely the cash from Redmond (and a bit more from somewhere else ?) is going to be spent on two strikers which must be a higher priority than Pritchard at £8m,

Now Prichard would be a big step up

Stand very little chance at Spurs, and was a standout player at Carrow road with Brentford.

Even consider him on loan, he had shown good commitment at Brentford on loan.

[quote user="julian hudson"][quote user="Indy"]Ayala and Surman like Dorrans found it hard to make the starting 11!

How about Snodgrass he''s just been promoted too![/quote]We''ve still got four to five players on the books who can play the role of Dorrans, Indy, but only one DMC in Tettey and there''s no certainty of him staying - so surely it''s a question of priorities? As to the premature releases of both Ayala & Surman, you''re blaming the wrong manager, son.[/quote]

I''m not blaming any manager! I was responding to Curious Yellow. These players were not good enough at the time to play regular football like Dorrans.

He only joined in Feb our championship season and was played as an attacking midfielder not a negative holding type role.

Anyhow we can all debate our opinion it''s down to the board to ensure finances are adjusted so every players has their price and the manager to determine who he would like to stay and who goes.

Dorrans isn''t an impact player and is just about this level, if we keep everyone then we will not freshen anything up, for new players to come in someone has to go, so for me I''d be happy to see him go.

Di Matteo had Dorrans with him at West Brom so could be a a case of he likes and knows the player and vice versa.Regardless of what we think of it therefore, it might be a move that appeals to Dorrans.Don''t think we should sell him either but the players wield all the power-if he wants to go, he''ll go.

His impact at PL level was limited. Decent in the Chumps.

We should aspire to better on the wages bill, realistically or not.

Selling at a slight profit to his old boss would be useful money in the transfer kitty.

I cannot see Villa being a threat next season. The season after perhaps.

I don''t think he''s first choice and we''re well stocked in midfield but selling a player we know can do a job at this level to a promotion rival would be stupid. Different story if we''re getting bids from Rotherham or Bristol City but Villa have to be seen as a promotion rival and we can''t afford to be strengthening them.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]Please get realistic.

If rumours are true, then its good bye Dorrans and welcome to a defensive midfield player (possibly the one from France). Thats sensible as we dont know if Tettey is staying with us and if he does its unrealistic to expect 46 league games out of him.

Surely the cash from Redmond (and a bit more from somewhere else ?) is going to be spent on two strikers which must be a higher priority than Pritchard at £8m,[/quote]

My grip of reality does not extend to believing rumours. but we must face facts or we are all going to be disappointed.

We have been relegated, we are not going to be able to upgrade.

Players like Dorrans, Bassong Martin and Whittaker are good and experienced at this level.

Getting rid of players has never done any good.

Dorrans actually started the season very well, if there is a reason DiMatteo wants to sign him he can''t be that bad.

Or do we all know better than a Euro Cup Winner?

It is crazy to sell to a rival. Ok, Grabban was an exception but it always comes back to bite you on the backside.

Like Ekoku and loaning Cureton to Barnsley, it''s not worth the risk.

You''re probably 100% correct Curious Yellow, but it''s quite sad that many of us have already assumed the mentality of a Championship supporting club and the season hasn''t even started yet.

We still have the taint of a Premier League club, whatever that means ..... well £30m parachutes for a start I suppose. Oh and a squad full of Premier League experienced players with most (we hope) staying and full houses guaranteed, and Category A and .........

It would be nice to think that we could ''think Premier League" that little bit longer, or at least if and when it becomes patently obvious that we might be resigned to the Chumps for a while.

Not being sarcastic CC, but get my meaning.

It would be helpful if we had some idea of just how much currently sits in the kitty, but that''s a state secret. We know that there is a bit because somebody in high places has said so and rumours are that Delia has a new recipe book in the pipeline ("Chips with Everything.")

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]His impact at PL level was limited. Decent in the Chumps.

We should aspire to better on the wages bill, realistically or not.

Selling at a slight profit to his old boss would be useful money in the transfer kitty.

I cannot see Villa being a threat next season. The season after perhaps.[/quote]

You might not see it but the majority of everyone else can. With a proven manager and a supposedly £60 million transfer budget they will be there or there abouts.

And Pritchard would be a replacement for Redmond (if it were to happen), completely different player to Dorrans.

I can''t see it, we need to adjust budgets there''s no doubt, the wage bill will need to be reduced and to freshen up we will need to allow those who are not required go!

Is Dorrans really so good he will make the starting 11, Wes, Naismith, Howson, Tettey, O''Neil and Thompson & Maddison now in that mix.......surely letting Vadis, Mullumbu and Dorrans leave would be sensible?

Thompson really ? Doubt he will be getting in front of Dorrans. Vadis can play the number 10 role and out wide. Tettey only has 12 months remaining on his contract, so if he wants out then we will have to cash in.

Bottom line is what Alex Neil thinks and wants. Wasnt that long ago he was linked with Rangers, but Alex showed that Dorrans is part  of his future plans. He intimated that Dorrans could be sold, but only for a big big fee, saying Rangers could never afford him. Apply that to Villa and its easy to see if Di Matteo really wants Dorrans badly enough, hes going to have to shell out a considerable sum for even Alex to think about letting him go.

I think our midfield is full of players who are at the top end of the Championship but struggle in the Prem, and Dorrans is right in that group.  So we should think twice about selling him to a team that might well be competing with us for promotion.

Up front is the key area we need to address, plus any players who want to leave (Redmond).  We should only be shipping out players who aren''t good enough at this level IMO, or like Redmond where we need to sell because his contract is running out (or we get a bid that''s too good to refuse).

[quote user="curious yellow"]

My grip of reality does not extend to believing rumours. but we must face facts or we are all going to be disappointed.

We have been relegated, we are not going to be able to upgrade.

Players like Dorrans, Bassong Martin and Whittaker are good and experienced at this level.

Getting rid of players has never done any good.

Dorrans actually started the season very well, if there is a reason DiMatteo wants to sign him he can''t be that bad.

Or do we all know better than a Euro Cup Winner?

It is crazy to sell to a rival. Ok, Grabban was an exception but it always comes back to bite you on the backside.

Like Ekoku and loaning Cureton to Barnsley, it''s not worth the risk.[/quote]

Why can''t we upgrade? Yes we''ve been relegated but there''s about 10 players I would have over Whittaker, currently playing for smaller/lower Champs teams. We have more money than most in the division, why on Earth should we think no-one better would want to come to us? Same goes with Martin, there are better players than him currently playing in the Champs, why can''t we sign one of them? OK It''s not a Klose level upgrade, but it would still be better than this silly "No-one good will ever sign for us" nonsense.

Martin, Whittaker, Dorrans and Bassong are dead weight for our club and we should be looking for better. Experience is not worth as much as talent. Sure, you need a balance, but at the moment, our equilibrium is weighted to experience, and this team needs an injection of talent.

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I agree with Tilly. A tidy midfielder but nothing special and I would rather have O''Neil and Howson plus Tettey, Mulumbu or Vadis as back up.

Midfield is one area where we have much of a muchness.[/quote]

Big argument now about a player that many here would have been happy to see join a rival.