Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

UNLEASH THE DOGS OF WAR!

Watching the Championship highlights on Sunday demonstrated acouple of things to me:

1) The overall standard was a lot better than a few years ago

2) The overall standard of self-belief of the players was much higher. Many more were happy to take the opposition on, try something different (did you see Morrison''s little shimmy, waiting to roll the perfect ball across to Freedman for Palace''s second goal?).

Is it possible that 1), ay least in part, follows from 2)?

Now, if you believe, as I do, that Norwich have one of the classiest squads in the division, then the question is how to get the self-confidence back in the team. The only way I can think of is one which few managers, least of all Nigel, can follow.

Paradoxically, he must allow them to fail. By this I mean that they must abandon the attempt to play neat, controlled football. Their opponents are in no mood to let this happen. In fact, all that it ends up in is a desperate hoof up the field or another defensive mix-up. Far better to try something outrageous - going forward - with your team-mates ready to back you up. And if it fails, you try something else. But you MUST DRIVE FORWARD. Being terrified of conceding goals leads to exactly that result.

Once things start coming off, the confidence will come. At the moment, even the victories don''t help, because the players are no more convinced than the fans.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there''s nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood!

Or at least score a few goals...

Do we have one of the classiest squads in the division, not really. Sheff Utd and Leeds have far stronger squads than we do this season

I agree Andrew and made a similar point before the start of the season, we have to be big enough to walk out onto the pitch with the mindset of winning - not in a big-headed way but in a confident way, such that we attack from the start, put teams on their heels and have them thinking "you can tell this lot have played in the Prem". That attitude in itself will be worth goals and once the goals start coming we all know it has the knock on effect of carrying on.

Simple really !!!!!!!!!!!

Mark .Y.