I for one have been calling for Ryan Bennett to get regular game time but what on earth was he thinking leaving that ball for the Leicester goal six yard box he''s got to try and get something on that surely, plus no one picking up Ulloa.

Good team performance but ultimately no points again!

Can''t help thinking young Mr. Bennett''s a bit of a carthorse - & a penalty waiting to happen. His nudges in the back are a bit too obvious for my liking (although refs seem to be letting rugby tackles go these days). In fairness he''s no worse than any of our other defenders.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The other Leicester forward got a touch on it that changed the course of the ball fractionally, enough to wrong foot Bennett.

[/quote]

Strange how RB is afforded excuses not allowed martin bassong etc

You could well be right Lincoln, i''m not much of a stat man as i feel they can be manipulated to prove almost any point, but i do feel that we look more solid with him in the side.

I agree, I think he''s a better defender which is what we need right now. There was discussion on another thread - we have conceded less goals and won more points when he''s been in the side this season, basically the difference between relegation form without him and on course for 40 points with him.

Anyone who is blaming him for the goal on Saturday needs to watch the replay properly to see what actually happened. To say he''s getting the benefit of an excuse is just tosh - if you watch it, the ball takes a touch which puts it past him, simple as that. Some though still want to blame him anyway it seems.....

I''m not saying he''s a top quality defender but of the ones we have I think he should have a starting place.

I do wonder if not-so-young Mr. Martin would have been cut so much slack if the ball had whizzed past his toes? Still, I''m sure it was all his fault anyway.

Was unlucky with the goal - if you watch the reply in slow-mo you can indeed see Vardy toe-poke it past Bennett who then can''t reach it but otherwise would have most likely stopped it reaching Ulloa. Surely someone should have indeed been marking though, like perhaps Martin or Pinto? I''ve not studied the replay enough to know where they are at the time.

Makes you laugh the way some go on, I thought that Klose / Bennett never put a foot wrong the whole match, as for the goal Vardy''s touch was enough to take it clear of our defenders, performance was a massive improvement, why not put energy into that and looking forward instead of looking for scapegoats all the time ?.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Makes you laugh the way some go on, I thought that Klose / Bennett never put a foot wrong the whole match, as for the goal Vardy''s touch was enough to take it clear of our defenders, performance was a massive improvement, why not put energy into that and looking forward instead of looking for scapegoats all the time ?.[/quote]

Spot on Gordon!. You going tomorrow night mate?

IMO probably the best defensive performance we have given all season. What made the difference? The individual players selected, the tactics employed, the mindset of the team, or a combination of all three. We may never know but I''m a great fan of ''if it ain''t broke don''t fix it'' methodology, not always but I think it fits here, why make changes to our best performance all season.

Will it be enough to thwart Chelsea, maybe not, but it will be enough to give us a chance of getting a result against most.

One thing I suspect is that the players like it, although the tail shouldn''t wag the dog I agree.

OK, this means no position for Seb and probably Hoolahan, so be it. We need to be doing whatever has to be done to put ourselves in the best position to pick up points and from what I saw at the weekend we may have found it (at last).

I believe it was Vardy who got the touch at the last second. Although in real time it looked like a Bennett howler, when slowed down you can''t really blame him too much imo, most defenders would''ve done the same.

If that was Martin people would be saying the same thing as well; that he should not be blamed. He is not a scapegoat no matter how hard people think he is being made out to be.

Also thought Martin played well like he normally does when he plays as a sweeper, seems comfortable there.

Also a shout out to Pinto who I''m glad AN hadn''t decided to abandon after the first two games.

Sorry Mrs. M, most of us wouldn''t be blaming Martin, but there''s a significant minority who want to blame him for every defensive error the team makes.

Mrs M wrote; Also a shout out to Pinto who I''m glad AN hadn''t decided to abandon after the first two games.

Great shout Mrs M, Pinto looked like the player we all hoped he might be on Saturday.

I wonder if AN would have selected Bennett ahead of Bassong if he''d been available for that game. I suspect not, which tells us roughly where Bennett is in the current CB pecking order - fourth.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 29/02/2016 3:37 PM:Sorry Mrs. M, most of us wouldn''t be blaming Martin, but there''s a significant minority who want to blame him for every defensive error the team makes.

------------------

I understand what you mean, I do think there are a few who do blame him for mistakes which he hasn''t made, however I think that''s true of most other players as well, whether it be Pinto, Redmond, Klose or whoever else, personally I just think the opinions on Martin are highlighted more because the people who defended him playing regularly at CB were wrong.

Fuzzar,

Just a thought, what if he had recovered from his knock but AN decided to ''rest'' him?

Guess we''ll get some sort of answer tomorrow.

Agree with a lot said in this topic, sometimes its the smallest of touches that can alter things, i cant see Bennett  being for blame to much. I think the goal just had a tail sting because it was the 89th minute. Overall it was one of the best defensive displays this season, finally we had Klose and Bennett in the team, plus agree with mrs. m, good to see Pinto back to. Martin to was  ok to decent, not often ive said that this season.Bassong misses a match first time this season, in all honesty dont think he was missed, in fact i  think we should go with this for the next few matches, but i know Alex picked this team for the Leicester match, just think it gives us a bit more than what weve had so far this season.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]I wonder if AN would have selected Bennett ahead of Bassong if he''d been available for that game. I suspect not, which tells us roughly where Bennett is in the current CB pecking order - fourth.[/quote]

Probably true, and IMO the manager would be wrong if that''s the case.  But we all know that AN sometimes makes team choices that some of us disagree with.  Sometimes he''s proved right, sometimes not.