Sign in to follow this  
Curious Canary

Wes MOTM

What is it about Wes fans that make a certain proportion of them obnoxious, intolerant and abusive?

At the end of the Chelsea game when I had the temerity to express surprise that Wes was named MOTM I was told in no uncertain terms that I should shut up.

And that he “clearly ran the show completely”.

When I suggested that perhaps Redmond was more deserving of the accolade I was put in my place as apparently just because he scored doesn’t make him MOTM.

It seems that to some the merest suggestion that Wes may not be our most talented player is totally unacceptable.

All you objective (not objectionable) posters out there who did you make MOTM?

Redmond or Howson for me.Wes had a good first half, but faded in the second, for me.

I saw nothing to suggest Wes should have been anywhere near the mom accolade, several ahead of him. Redmond had a really good game, dragging three Chelski players in his wake many times and well deserved his goal. Wes lost the ball in the final third as usual.

End of the day, it is picked by the match sponsors, who will likely pick their favourite player, so they can have their photo with him.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]What is it about Wes fans that make a certain proportion of them obnoxious, intolerant and abusive?

At the end of the Chelsea game when I had the temerity to express surprise that Wes was named MOTM I was told in no uncertain terms that I should shut up.

And that he “clearly ran the show completely”.

When I suggested that perhaps Redmond was more deserving of the accolade I was put in my place as apparently just because he scored doesn’t make him MOTM.

It seems that to some the merest suggestion that Wes may not be our most talented player is totally unacceptable.

All you objective (not objectionable) posters out there who did you make MOTM?[/quote]

Aww, is someone still upset that Wes was mean and nasty when that nice Mr Hughton was in charge? Diddums...

You shouldn''t get mom for only playing well in one half and that''s why Redmond didn''t get it. For all his excellent play in the 2nd half, he didn''t really turn up for the first 45 mins. Wes (again) never stopped running, creating and trying to orchestrate something to get us going.

Wes was our best player first half comfortably, Redmond second half. However Redmond was pretty ineffective in the first half whereas Wes was still dangerous second half.
Great to see him so influential against a top team.

I could almost individually name each poster who is going to respond that he was MOTM, before they do it.[:D][;)]

[quote user="morty"]I could almost individually name each poster who is going to respond that he was MOTM, before they do it.[:D][;)][/quote]
I think if you asked everyone as they left Carrow Road they''d agree with Wes as MOTM - certainly was the general opinion as I left the ground.

I''d go for Klose. I think he has played a big part in the recent upturn in our performances. He seemed to snuff out a lot of danger and keep us going in last night''s game.

Oh and as for is he our most talented player? Well Patrick Bamford done a quick Q&A with us before the game yesterday and named Wes as the most talented & technically gifted player he''s seen at NCFC so far.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]I could almost individually name each poster who is going to respond that he was MOTM, before they do it.[:D][;)][/quote]
I think if you asked everyone as they left Carrow Road they''d agree with Wes as MOTM - certainly was the general opinion as I left the ground.
[/quote]The group I was with in the pub afterwards mostly said Redmond actually.

Having a chat with those around us as we left the ground and Redmond was the choice virtually to a man, including me and my daughter. Very welcome upturn in form from him.

Wes had a decent (but not MOM) performance for me, plenty of good stuff but infuriatingly slow when we broke.

Thanks Hogesar.

Very interesting website.

It’s always good when you can find stats and the opinions of others to add to the discussion.

We are never going to agree on the merits of Wes but I totally respect anyone substantiating their views with selected data and information.

I think Wes has big failings for an attacking midfielder, such as too many touches on the ball when he’s deciding what to do with it, reassured that the website sees one of his weaknesses is “holding on to the ball”. Maybe if you consider that losing the ball is effectively the same as a failed pass the passing success rate goes down.

Also I don’t think he is strong, powerful and positive enough. Is it enough to be just a play maker? Can’t remember many goals scored from outside the box or indeed shots from distance.

I am a big fan of Tetty. He not perfect by any means. Nice to see his pass success rate is higher than Wes although as you would point out in an easier area of the pitch.

Wes offered everything very well, over 90 mins.

Redmond also played very well, but as has been said, grew into the game. One thing I got particularly annoyed with him, was in the first half, when we were defending a Chelsea attack, Redders ''passed on'' a Chelsea attacker, on the edge of our area, to one of our defenders, who already had someone to mark.

Howson, was excellent and driven to disrupt Chelsea, towards the end, but didn''t show up consistently over the 90 minutes to warrant MoM for me.

Right choice in Wes