Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

These Wes stats might surprise a few of you ...

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-wes-hoolahan-more-effective-alexis-sanchez-and-11-other-interesting-stats#:Go86fm-sONII3A

... All hail Norwich’s Wes Hoolahan. The 33-year-old playmaker is enjoying an Indian summer ahead of his Irish summer at Euro 2016, racking up 11 goals and assists in comparatively little match time. His superb ratio of 134 MpGA matches that of the deservedly lauded Dimitri Payet. Even if you discount the penalty he scored against Liverpool, Hoolahan is, on average, more efficient going forward than Philippe Coutinho, Ross Barkley, Sterling, Theo Walcott, Sanchez, Pedro, Oscar... we could go on

Doesn''t surprise me! Ridiculously influential for us. I know some don''t see it, but we''ve not managed to replace him because he''s pretty irreplaceable for us.

Glad to see him getting recognition. Makes us tick, and seems to get better and better.

I get the same feel with Wes that I did when both Huckerby and Holt played, in that you worry what you will do when they move on/retire, knowing you will miss them a lot.

I agree Al, it''s a shame he''s shining so late in his career as he certainly doesn''t perform like a 33 year old! I''m sure he''ll play for another couple of years yet but we do need to start considering our next move - but that''s why I think we''ve gone all out to get Naismith. Yes I know he''s not the same type of player, but he will be a player who can create and get the fan on their feet.

Hux, Holt and even Roberts left big holes in the squad when they departed, but it''ll always take time to get over a player so unique - we''ve just got to make sure we''re not left short when the time comes

Shows why he''s been forced into the side either central or on the left. His influence is too big to leave out. Against West Ham he was playing more central for most of the game and I think that''s how it needs to stay. Next problem is getting the most out of Naismith and Wes together.

Not actually surprised by this. Wes is a top, top player and we are lucky to have him. It helps his stats that he tends to be rested in the harder games but imo he should be the first name on the team sheet every week he is fit. Hoping for naisy, wes and redderz today

Are there really people who think that Wes Hoolahan is a match for the likes of Payet and Barkley?

Unbeliable!

You can look at the stats and you can use your judgement.

In this premier season:

Hoolahan 4 goals in 1468 mins, 367 mins per goal.

Payet 7 goals in 1683 mins, 240 mins per goal.

Barkley 8 goals in 2277 mins, 285 mins per goal.

Also by the way Naismith 4 goals in 845 mins, 211 mins per goal.

The stats only tell half the story you only have to watch to see who loses the ball most, who creates a goal threat, who makes tackles, who is a more complete player, who is basically more valuable by every measure.

It aint gonna happen but would you really really rather see Hoolahan in a Norwich team than Payet or Barkley?

Ron obvious, hogesar, badger, Ian, Al Harrington, Tetteys Jig you cannot be serious.

Never said i''d have him over Payet at all. Obviously i''d rather have Payet, he''s younger, quicker, scores more, more complete etc. Wes isn''t as far off as people make out though. It''s a shame he''s the wrong side of 30 really.

Yes I was completely serious when I called Wes a top player. Funny how you missed out the assists stats there...

All the stuff you pointed out, you can get stats for as well but yes, I agree you have to see the game in the flesh for a real complete view on a player.

I was quoting a set of stats compiled by a statistician with - as far as I am aware - no particular axe to grind. You can take it or leave it as you wish.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]Are there really people who think that Wes Hoolahan is a match for the likes of Payet and Barkley?

Unbeliable!

You can look at the stats and you can use your judgement.

In this premier season:

Hoolahan 4 goals in 1468 mins, 367 mins per goal.

Payet 7 goals in 1683 mins, 240 mins per goal.

Barkley 8 goals in 2277 mins, 285 mins per goal.

Also by the way Naismith 4 goals in 845 mins, 211 mins per goal.

The stats only tell half the story you only have to watch to see who loses the ball most, who creates a goal threat, who makes tackles, who is a more complete player, who is basically more valuable by every measure.

It aint gonna happen but would you really really rather see Hoolahan in a Norwich team than Payet or Barkley?

Ron obvious, hogesar, badger, Ian, Al Harrington, Tetteys Jig you cannot be serious.[/quote]

It''s not a good idea to watch and see who loses the ball most. Far better to have reliable stats which will be accurate. Try keeping track next time you go to the game...

Curious Canary wrote:

........................................................................................................................

It wasn''t a canary fan that wrote that article - it was an independent.

You''re an absolute disgrace ! coming on here talking up West Ham players and belittling a player that have stuck by this club for close to 10 years.

Do you think Payet would ever come to play for Norwich ? Go on why don''t you ask him - he''d show you his butt - you ''re probably want to lick it, go f off and support West Ham.

Bet you were ecstatic when he scored against us a fortnight ago. Real great player isn''t he ?

Ron, now I’m confused. Are you saying that you raised all this “All hail Hoolahan” nonsense but you have no opinion on whether you think it truly represents his standing in a list of pretty useful players? And that you personally have no views on Hoolahan’s talents?

Tetteys Jig that the point about stats you can choose the ones that suit your argument best. If you want to provide some data on assists go ahead.

It may be a pity that Hoolahan’s the wrong side of 30 (34 in May I think), but there’s no changing that. So basically past his best and not likely to improve to be become a top premier league player in future.

Nutty so is not a good idea to watch with your own eyes any aspect of a player’s performance in a game? I think it is. Isn’t that keeping track?

It’s a bit arduous to record your own stats but there are a multitude of stats out there.

I would love to see Hoolahan assessed on:

Pass success rate, key pass success rate, tackles made won/lost, been tackled won/lost, distance covered, sprints, shots from distance, etc etc.

For those considering Wes as POTY, is this is the same Wes who in 2014 wanted to walk out of the club and join Villa.

And when he scored against Villa didn’t celebrate his goal and was forced to explain his action starting with the phrase “It’s been a difficult few months…” Basically he didn’t want to play for us.

I can think of more deserving causes for POTS.

Get a grip Six Pack, were you following the canaries in 2014?

You seem to suggest that all our players must be wonderful and better than anyone playing for other team, West Ham or whoever.

Of course Payet wouldn’t come here. That’s not the point.

This thread is about a vague suggestion that Hoolahan is as good as, or even better than, Payet, Coutinho, Barkley, Sterling, Walcott, Sanchez, Pedro, Oscar.

Quite simply he isn’t, never was, never will be.

[quote user="Curious Canary"]Get a grip Six Pack, were you following the canaries in 2014?

You seem to suggest that all our players must be wonderful and better than anyone playing for other team, West Ham or whoever.

Of course Payet wouldn’t come here. That’s not the point.

This thread is about a vague suggestion that Hoolahan is as good as, or even better than, Payet, Coutinho, Barkley, Sterling, Walcott, Sanchez, Pedro, Oscar.

Quite simply he isn’t, never was, never will be.[/quote]Obviously just one of them types who has an entrenched view of Hoolahan that won''t change regardless of how he performs or his achievements. Simply ignoring all the positives to paint a a negative view of still one of our most vital players.Also bringing the loyalty card into play, despite having no knowledge of what actually went on whatsoever. After 8 years at the club, and featuring in some of the most memorable moments in the club''s history he doesn''t really need to prove anything to miserablists such as yourself.

He has an 83.5% pass success rate. Which is better than those who sit deeper and tend to have less pressure on themselves. For example, Howson.

No, CC, you''re not confused at all.

My opinion is irrelevant. I was quoting some stats from an independent &, as far as I''m aware, disinterested observer. He seemed as surprised by the results as you are.

It''s called being objective. You should try it sometime.

[quote user="ron obvious"]No, CC, you''re not confused at all.

My opinion is irrelevant. I was quoting some stats from an independent &, as far as I''m aware, disinterested observer. He seemed as surprised by the results as you are.

It''s called being objective. You should try it sometime.[/quote]Works both directions though, Wes has his limitations. People who say he should always be first name on the teamsheet seem to conveniently forget the games where he is utterly anonymous, because when he is ineffective, he becomes an actual burden to the team.Quite simply when he is good, he is very good, but when he isn''t on it he can be pretty awful.If he really was as good as some people here say, he certainly wouldn''t be plying his trade at Norwich City.

Hogestar, an 83.5% pass success rate, where did you get that stat from?

Is that public knowledge? I would be very interested if you could provide the source of your info.

I concur with your observations Morty, although I think his poor performances are more often down to being played when the tactics or team formation don''t suit (e.g. sticking him out on the left wing) than him having a stinker (which can happen, obviously).

I was surprised at the author''s conclusions too. But in a good way.

Ron, who is better placed to know whether I am confused or not, me or you?

If I say I’m confused it’s because I’m confused.

So to try and understand where you are coming from let me run this past you:

1. Hoolahan is a bit of a marmite player you either think he’s wonderful or you would rather have something else.

2. Someone publishes an encouraging report on the benefits of marmite.

3. You (I) jump to the conclusion that it must be a marmite lover.

4. That someone is not really a marmite lover, it’s just someone who can take it or leave it but thought they would publish the report for the benefit of marmite lovers out there, or anyone else who has views on marmite, or indeed breakfast in general.

Am I still confused?