Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

I've heard all the arguements

that he isn''t good enough etc etc etc.But, you can''t convince me that Lafferty would not have scored at least one of those chances that Jerome missed tonight.We cannot go on, game after game, missing clear cut chances and not give one of 4 strikers a chance.Yes Jerome works hard & is quick down the channels and Mbokani is strong & holds the ball up well but they both fail to hit the back of the net time & time again. 

Lafferty wouldn''t have even had the chances. He''s not the answer but I agree Jerome isn''t either.

Bamford is our last hope.

That''s what''s so utterly frustrating about Jerome; he''s bloody quick, he''s strong, he robs defences, he gets into excellent positions, he leaps ... he just doesn''t score!

Pardon me, but where are all these chances Mbokani has missed? I think you''ll find the answer is naff all.

The problem is, we don''t produce enough chances with Mbokani in the team. Jerome is better suited to our style of play ... but, well, see above!

[quote user="Making Plans"]that he isn''t good enough etc etc etc.But, you can''t convince me that Lafferty would not have scored at least one of those chances that Jerome missed tonight.We cannot go on, game after game, missing clear cut chances and not give one of 4 strikers a chance.Yes Jerome works hard & is quick down the channels and Mbokani is strong & holds the ball up well but they both fail to hit the back of the net time & time again. [/quote]

Well said Making Plans. Have said this on a few occasions throughout the season and been ridiculed for it.

We have to adapt and do it quickly. Both Jerome & Mbokani have had too many games and too many chances. One hopes Bamford will be given a chance, but it''s a real shame Laffs just doesn''t get a chance, when the others are failing abysmally

I have to say i do not understand why we have kept hold of Lafferty but then never given him a chance in a team where the strikers miss too many chances.

I hope somebody is doing some serious 1 to 1 coaching with Cameron. It''s so obviously a psychological problem. He''s snatching at opportunities when he needs to relax a fraction.

Tennis players & cricketers often have the same problems.

Do we have a sports psychologist?

Got to go 2 up front at Swansea and Jerome should not be one of them.

Jerome has had enough chances and hasnt taken them.

Hopefully Nasmith back

[quote user="ron obvious"]Pardon me, but where are all these chances Mbokani has missed? [/quote]19 appearances & 4 goals says it all for me. He came here as a prolific striker & in my book prolific strikers score no matter what system is being played.If you''ve only got 3 supermarkets in your town & the first 2 can''t supply the product you desperately need, you would either go to the 3rd.The alternative is to go without and that is what AN has decided.And I wouldn''t hold out much hope that Bamford is the answer either.

The issue is we do not create enough chances in this division

We play a five man midfield and barely support the striker, in fact our five man midfield gets over run.. If we stay up this year we can add quality which can mean we support strikers but we do not have the quality to create loads of chances in this division.

We need our strikers to have confidence that chances will be made for them and that midfielders recognise runs or the weight of pass. As a whole we fall short in this division but need to find something that works asap

Making Plans, you are being totally illogical. You can complain that Mbokani doesn''t get in scoring positions enough, But, I repeat, where are all the missed chances?

Jerome does a job of stretching defences and making room, problem is that as he is doing this outside the box, often on the wing, when the space develops in the box there is nobody there to fill it.

If he is to play either he has to play more as a traditional striker, which I don''t happen to think is the answer, or we need him to play together with a poacher goal scorer, that could be Bamford.

Interesting yet very believable statistic I have read stating we have had the least touches of the ball in the opposing penalty area so far this season.

Matches against the top clubs are always going to be tricky. We''ve simply left ourselves too much to do having failed to take our chances in the easier pre-Christmas home matches. Perhaps, if the August transfer window had not been such a fiasco we might have addressed our striking and defensive woes when playing against teams where we had a fighting chance of victory. We''ll all be able to reflect on that back in the championship next season.

I seriously cannot see how anyone after Saturdays and tonights performance can defend Jerome! He missed a chance on Saturday that was easier to score than miss and tonight he missed another three, yes, three chances to score! I have to say I was baffled by his selection to right before the game after Saturday, but after tonight I really cannot see how AN can pick him again!

I had this discussion before the game with my Son and he mentioned that he has pace. He may well do but so has Usain Bolt and it doesn''t make him a footballer much like Jerome! He is beginning to make Jamie Cureton (in his second spell) look prolific! 1 (one) goal in fifteen games is just beyond belief with the chances he has missed! AN please, please, please drop him whilst we still have an outside chance of staying up!

Sorry Ron, but he works his socks off and pulls defenders all over the place, but he''s not a lone striker, Bamford alongside and we could well see more from the strikers.

That said we would then have to drop Naismith, Wes or Redders unless we revert to a back 4 again.

Thought Jerome was fantastic today, except doing the important bit. What a sitter - I think Mbokani would''ve scored that, but would he have been there in the first place?

Sorry Indy, 1 goal in sixteen appearances, four glaring chances in the last two games missed! Just not good enough and should not have been picked tonight after Saturdays performance.

What I will say though is I thought the team played really well, especially the second half, which makes his misses all the harder to stomach! His job is to score goals and with the chances he has been given over the last two games a half decent striker would have scored two, if not three of them!

There is a reason why Jerome was sold to a Championship club.

He''s a hero but he''s not good enough at this level.

He''ll be invaluable next season though!

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]There is a reason why Jerome was sold to a Championship club.

He''s a hero but he''s not good enough at this level. [/quote]Heard this before but don''t understand it. Take the volley that hit the bar. He was there, right position, 6 yards out, no pressure on him, made googd contact but he missed it.Now the question is why did he miss that chance in the PL when under exactly the same circumstances in the Champs he would have buried it. There''s just no logic to it

Report in the paper after the Leicester match said "Cameron Jerome looking every inch a Championship striker" that''s nail on the head , a striker who does not score is a waste of a shirt , would much rather have had Hooper up front at least he does what a strikers supposed to .

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Lafferty wouldn''t have even had the chances. He''s not the answer but I agree Jerome isn''t either.

Bamford is our last hope.[/quote]

So how does he even manage to score regularly at international level then?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Lafferty wouldn''t have even had the chances. He''s not the answer but I agree Jerome isn''t either.

Bamford is our last hope.[/quote]

So how does he even manage to score regularly at international level then?[/quote]Look at the quality of the teams he has scored against, come back with your findings.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]There is a reason why Jerome was sold to a Championship club.

He''s a hero but he''s not good enough at this level. [/quote]Heard this before but don''t understand it. Take the volley that hit the bar. He was there, right position, 6 yards out, no pressure on him, made googd contact but he missed it.Now the question is why did he miss that chance in the PL when under exactly the same circumstances in the Champs he would have buried it. There''s just no logic to it[/quote]Because he would get more chances in the Championship. He wouldn''t necessarily score a much higher proportion of his chances (although the chances may be, on average, slightly more presentable due to inferior defending), but would score a lot more because of the number of chances he got.Sadly, over the course of his career, his statistics back up Cantiaci''s assertion that he is not, and has never been, prolific enough at this level.

Mbokani, at the moment is our best striker at the club, bamford is un proven, yes he''s what some people see as a ''goalscorer'' but didn''t pull up any trees at all with palace and looked out of his depth and lightweight. Jerome is just hopeless as a striker, how many chances has he missed that my Nan would have scored this season, its getting embarrassing.

When we play Mbokani, I get so angry mainly due to our persistent need to keep p*ssing around with the ball between centre backs, 5 pointless passes we lump it up to him and 9/10he gets something on it. He movement is really good if you watch him closely, always in a good position but the problem is no one gets their head up, we are so resistant to play the early pass, Hoolahan holds onto the ball for two long etc. Take the game against Chelsea for example, the amount of times Pinto bombed forward and all it needed was a 40 yard pass to him or a early ball and he was on for an attack, what happened was the complete opposite.

I seriously think we need to start going a bit route one, we haven''t got the players to pass round premier league teams and score a lovely goal, its happened a few times I know but not enough to keep persisting with it, although Alex Neil does like to persist with strategies that wont, don''t and will never work at this level.

Its been possibly the most frustrating season so far, and if I''m honest, I think we are good as gone. I hope not.

''M''bokani, at the moment is our best striker at the club'' - interesting statement. Depends what you define as a strikers role ? Some see it purely as putting the ball in the back of the net ie a goal poacher. If a player does this and nothing else during the game then you can stongly argue he has done is job (Hooper was a good example of this, followed by Grabban - but look at the reaction they got from the majority of Norwich fans). Others see a strikers role as more than than , holding the ball up, bringing others into play, creating chances, and sticking the chances that come their way away. Some players have both attitrubes but are well out our financial reach at this level.

The lack of quality of our squad overall means we can''t carry the sort of player that is most likely to stick the ball in the net given the chance but does nothing else - especially if you only play one up front which we have done all season. We need something more. Jerome is our best hold up player by far (not saying he is great but is the best in our squad) - yes M''bokani can win a header and make a nusiance of himself but that is no good if no one is up there with him and his first touch and hold up play just isn''t good enough and just doesn''t look a goal threat. Lafferty - who knows ?? we just haven''t seen enough of him to see what his real attributes are but clearly our coaching staff have. Bamford - from what we saw last year is a good finisher given the chance but seems to need to work alongside another ''striker'' rather than play that lone striker role.

So in conclusion if we continue with the same formation (which based on the weakness of our defence needs the 5 in midfield to support - I think we will) we only have the one ''striker'' space up for grabs - and based on what the team needs as a whole that spot is understandably being given Jerome.

Sorry that you are finding it a frustrating season urdie - thing is it was always going to be, and will be again next year if we manage to stay up, and the year after etc - that is the Premier League for you im afraid (and our natural place within it) Unless we get some major investment - which is unlikely with Delia at the helm (the appointment of Ed Balls and her nephew to the board is testiment to this) - any season we have in the Premier league will ulitmately be ''frustrating''