Sign in to follow this  
Crafty Canary

...And then there were four.

Last night''s round of matches have made the situation a little clearer. Bournemouth should now be safe with an 8 point lead over Sunderland, Newcastle and ourselves with 10 games left to play.

Of our remaining games there are 6 realistically winnable games:

Sunderland, Newcastle and Watford at home

Swansea, palace and West Brom away

We will need 4 wins and 2 draws as a minimum from these to give ourselves a sporting chance of staying up with 38 points. However we will need the self belief that this is possible with cutting out the silly defensive errors and actually putting a good proportion of chances away.

Lafferty has never been given a chance to show what he can do at centre forward and other than Bamford is he now worth giving a chance as we have nothing to lose by playing him.

I expect us to get relegated now, the Villa defeat was really hard to take, however Sunderland two seasons ago and Leicester last season have shown that a season saving run of results is possible.

It''s possible that by the time we play them Arsenal will have suffered the mortal blow of seeing Spurs (or Leicester) crowned Champions. Unless they are still in with a chance at that stage I would quite fancy our chances at the Emirates.

We have only won SIX games all season out of 28 games! It amazes me that people suddenly think we can win between four and six of our remaining ten!

[quote user="Baldyboy"]We have only won SIX games all season out of 28 games! It amazes me that people suddenly think we can win between four and six of our remaining ten![/quote]Despite being so awful though, we only just dropped into the bottom three last night.We only need to be better than three other teams, and no one is in good form down there.How we perform in the games the OP lists will define our season, not losing to Chelsea.

And as long as there are 4 still in it we''ve got a chance.Think we''re playing well now and a win can''t be far away.Hopefully that''ll come Saturday and I think once we get one win another 3 or 4 will quickly follow

Confidence is a huge factor especially when a team is struggling. A win against Swansea could galvanise us for the remaining games whilst being a devastating result for the swans.

COYY

People only need to look at what Leicester did last year, or Sunderland the year before, to see that a hitherto hopeless side can suddenly click into gear and go on a run of winning games.

Play like we did for the final 30 mins last night, then we still have a chance. Let''s hope the injuries aren''t as bad as feared/rumoured.

A win for us on Saturday (and yes, we have a good track record against Swansea) means we''re only 3 points behind them. Hardly insurmountable.

[quote user="Alex "]A win for us on Saturday (and yes, we have a good track record against Swansea) means we''re only 3 points behind them. Hardly insurmountable.[/quote]Exactly.Don''t understand why people are calling Swansea safe.

[quote user="morty"]Don''t understand why people are calling Swansea safe.[/quote]Probably they are basing it on the current form guide unless of course plaudits for effort get you points.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"]Don''t understand why people are calling Swansea safe.[/quote]Probably they are basing it on the current form guide unless of course plaudits for effort get you points.[/quote]I tend to use "points on the board" as a guide.30 points ain''t safe.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Alex "]A win for us on Saturday (and yes, we have a good track record against Swansea) means we''re only 3 points behind them. Hardly insurmountable.[/quote]Exactly.Don''t understand why people are calling Swansea safe.[/quote]

Anyone who is calling Swansea safe is deluded mate! What happened tonight at the Emirates will not be the last shock result of the season, and despite the doom and gloom the reality is neither Newcastle or Sunderland are any better than us despite people telling me they''ve got results in them but we haven''t! That is proper pessimism for you and factually incorrect looking at the table to this point. We have EVERY chance of staying up. We''ll beat Swansea on Saturday and they''ll be right back in the mix for the following weekend.

morty wrote the following post at 2016-03-03 1:53 AM:

Alex wrote:

A win for us on Saturday (and yes, we have a good track record against Swansea) means we''re only 3 points behind them. Hardly insurmountable.

Exactly.

Don''t understand why people are calling Swansea safe.

After tonight''s results I would suggest Swansea are now in a far better place than NCFC and Newcastle!

[quote user="Alex "][quote user="morty"][quote user="Alex "]A win for us on Saturday (and yes, we have a good track record against Swansea) means we''re only 3 points behind them. Hardly insurmountable.[/quote]Exactly.Don''t understand why people are calling Swansea safe.[/quote]

Anyone who is calling Swansea safe is deluded mate! What happened tonight at the Emirates will not be the last shock result of the season, and despite the doom and gloom the reality is neither Newcastle or Sunderland are any better than us despite people telling me they''ve got results in them but we haven''t! That is proper pessimism for you and factually incorrect looking at the table to this point. We have EVERY chance of staying up. We''ll beat Swansea on Saturday and they''ll be right back in the mix for the following weekend.[/quote]Hope so[Y]I shall be spending 4 light years on a bus, it seems even longer, on the way home, when you have lost

[quote user="City 2nd"]morty wrote the following post at 2016-03-03 1:53 AM:

Alex wrote:

Exactly.

Don''t understand why people are calling Swansea safe.

After tonight''s results I would suggest Swansea are now in a far better place than NCFC and Newcastle![/quote]Well, durrr.

I highly doubt that us, Newcastle or Sunderland could''ve gone to Arsenal tonight and won the game. Fair play to Swansea. I''ve been so positive up until now but can''t see us going to Swansea and winning. A point at this stage isn''t good enough either. I think Swansea are capable of gaining enough points from here to stay up.

I think Sunderland then look most likely to stay up. They are capable of picking up points I.e. United at home, Liverpool away, palace at home etc. They have a proven goalscorer. Big Sam has a brilliant record too. It''s not looking good for us and Newcastle.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I highly doubt that us, Newcastle or Sunderland could''ve gone to Arsenal tonight and won the game. Fair play to Swansea. I''ve been so positive up until now but can''t see us going to Swansea and winning. A point at this stage isn''t good enough either. I think Swansea are capable of gaining enough points from here to stay up.

I think Sunderland then look most likely to stay up. They are capable of picking up points I.e. United at home, Liverpool away, palace at home etc. They have a proven goalscorer. Big Sam has a brilliant record too. It''s not looking good for us and Newcastle.[/quote]If you look at the current form table, there really isn''t much between us, Sunderland and Newcastle.They both have to come to Carrow road, where, despite our poor recent form, we actually have not a bad record.Am not sure if this includes tonight''s games.Swanseas home form, and Newcastle and Sunderland''s away form is nothing to shout about. Granted our away form isn''t either, but I take heart from the last two performances.[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled_zps8uqowztt.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled_zps8uqowztt.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The difference between us and Swansea is they put their chances in the back of the net. We''ve lacked that killer quality all season.

We need to be going all out to get wins and finish chances, so I see Naysmith as no10 and Bamford as no9 as the only sound and dangerous option.

Redmond looks worth 5 goals before the end of the season and hopefully Bennett and Klose can form a strong partnership to keep em out!

If we can''t get it right against Swansea on Saturday then they go 9 points ahead of us and it''s then down to us and Newcastle. Newcastle undoubtedly have more quality.

I take some heart from our recent displays too. A lot depends on whether the Bamford move works out for us. I know we have winnable games left to play but the recent evidence of 7 defeats in 8 suggests that those winnable games are far from bankers.

[quote user="Mooney"]The difference between us and Swansea is they put their chances in the back of the net. We''ve lacked that killer quality all season.

We need to be going all out to get wins and finish chances, so I see Naysmith as no10 and Bamford as no9 as the only sound and dangerous option.

Redmond looks worth 5 goals before the end of the season and hopefully Bennett and Klose can form a strong partnership to keep em out!

If we can''t get it right against Swansea on Saturday then they go 9 points ahead of us and it''s then down to us and Newcastle. Newcastle undoubtedly have more quality.[/quote]Look at that form table I posted above. It doesn''t exactly suggest Newcastle are brimming with quality.

I think the difference between us and Swansea is we put the ball in the net more often. They are better at stopping the ball going into their net.

[quote user="Mooney"]The difference between us and Swansea is they put their chances in the back of the net. We''ve lacked that killer quality all season.

Newcastle undoubtedly have more quality.[/quote]

Eh? Swansea have been utter dog shite going forward - it''s their defence that has got them the points. Also, do Newcastle really have this fabled better quality team? I think that''s total bollocks, we also have some very good players who have more in their locker than we''re perhaps seeing but think you''re right re Klose and Bennett - they do look our strongest central defenders for sure.

Swansea are still in the mix, make no mistake, and even Bournemouth aren''t totally safe if a couple of the bottom 5 went on a run, they''ve got a difficult run in and remember they really did struggle to get over the line in the end last season.

Just cannot see us or Newcastle and sounder at this moment catching Swansea,will know more after Saturday ,lose and it will be more clearer .hope when bamford does play 90 mins he Will make a difference.still think we could do it but time is running out.

Bournemouth go to Newcastle this Saturday. Victory there makes them at least 8 ahead of us with 9 to play and 11 ahead of the toon. Both of us will finish below them so they definitely will be safe. Defeat on the other hand leaves them 5 ahead of the Magpies which pulls them back into it.

What really matters though is what we do and Swansea is a must win game.

You have to look at the teams around us player for player and based on form/cutting edge.

Newcastle looked really poor last night but they do have a lot of quality in the side (look how they skittled us at their place).

Swansea have a better current cutting edge currently. Richards is a far better cb than any of our lot and I''d rather have Ayew on the end of a chance than Jerome. Ki is very tidy and has far better distribution than Tettey. Gylfi Sigurðsson is a top top player capable of changing a game and much stronger than Wes. Brady, Howson and Redmond might get in their side.

Norwich have shown that they have some really great build up play and have held our own in most games, however currently we have a disastrous lack of end product / concentration / quality at the back and up front. I don''t think this will change unless we make a statement of change with Naysmith and Bamford partnership up top and Bennett and Klose at back.

I really BELIEVE we can win on Saturday but it''s more likely to be heartbreak if the manager and the team show the same traits they have shown all season.