Sign in to follow this  
The Engineer

Atmosphere

I watched the Chelsea game from the comfort of a bean bag in front of a log fire in the French Alps on Tuesday evening, and one thing that was very noticeable was the complete lack of atmosphere at the ground! What was going on? We are in need of one goal, we were the better team in the second half on the front foot, and yet you could hear a pin drop! I couldn''t believe my ears! When the team needs the supporters at the game the most, we completely let them down... Yes they''ve let us down over the past couple months but seriously? I thought Carrow Road was meant to be a ground renowned for great atmosphere?? Has everyone literally just given up??

Hopefully people will tell me wrong and will tell me that the television mics were simply switched off! If not then it was just simply embarrassing. Cue another Delia half time rant!

[quote user="The Engineer"]

I watched the Chelsea game from the comfort of a bean bag in front of a log fire in the French Alps on Tuesday evening, and one thing that was very noticeable was the complete lack of atmosphere at the ground! What was going on? We are in need of one goal, we were the better team in the second half on the front foot, and yet you could hear a pin drop! I couldn''t believe my ears! When the team needs the supporters at the game the most, we completely let them down... Yes they''ve let us down over the past couple months but seriously? I thought Carrow Road was meant to be a ground renowned for great atmosphere?? Has everyone literally just given up??

Hopefully people will tell me wrong and will tell me that the television mics were simply switched off! If not then it was just simply embarrassing. Cue another Delia half time rant!

[/quote]

"very noticeable was the complete lack of atmosphere at the ground! What was going on?"

Everything was fine, lots of happy people then Pete turned up.

I think you must have a problem with your computer. I could hear them loud and clear - but then again, I do have external speakers connected to my laptop.

When you concede a sloppy goal inside the first minute it''s hardly surprising if the crowd are muted somewhat, the team responded though and so did the crowd. Ultimately if the atmosphere is flat then it''s because the football on the pitch is flat, I appreciate the idea that we need to do our bit and lift the team but they have to show us something to work with.

Grefstad still tags me in the occasional tweet blaming me for our downfall as I got him banned or something or other.
Anyway, conceding so soon did obviously have an effect however once we got going again I thought the fans were pretty good.

[quote user="Ginja"]When you concede a sloppy goal inside the first minute it''s hardly surprising if the crowd are muted somewhat, the team responded though and so did the crowd. Ultimately if the atmosphere is flat then it''s because the football on the pitch is flat, I appreciate the idea that we need to do our bit and lift the team but they have to show us something to work with.[/quote]
Or do we have to show them something to work with?
#chickenandegg
#passingthebuck
#worksbothways
#Ihatepassiveaggressivehashtagssowhyamiusingthem?

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Ginja"]When you concede a sloppy goal inside the first minute it''s hardly surprising if the crowd are muted somewhat, the team responded though and so did the crowd. Ultimately if the atmosphere is flat then it''s because the football on the pitch is flat, I appreciate the idea that we need to do our bit and lift the team but they have to show us something to work with.[/quote]
Or do we have to show them something to work with?
#chickenandegg
#passingthebuck
#worksbothways
#Ihatepassiveaggressivehashtagssowhyamiusingthem?
[/quote]
Yes I think it is up to the players ultimately, there''s only so much the crowd can do and remembering at the same time that the players are paid to be there while the crowd has paid to be there.

Not your speakers The Engineer. It would be a waste for you to replace them just cos the fans don''t sing.

Conceding early could be a reasonable excuse if it were an isolated incident however, us fans have been poor all season.

Now I personally don''t think we played that bad in the first half considering the opposition, we had one or two moments but no noise until Redders scored.

Customers nowadays insist on getting the goods before giving a review. In the old days supporters used to encourage their team through thick and thin.

Trouble is the good old supporters are edging toward the blankets.

"Yes I think it is up to the players ultimately, there''s only so much the crowd can do and remembering at the same time that the players are paid to be there while the crowd has paid to be there."

I think this is an example of how the view has changed. The difference is subtle yet clear.

I think a supporter sees it that he contributes to paying for a player to represent his team and help get success, not that he has visited the theatre.

[quote user="The gut"]

Trouble is the good old supporters are edging toward the blankets.[/quote]Yeah!  They edge there 10-15 minutes before the game has finished...........

[quote user="The gut"]Not your speakers The Engineer. It would be a waste for you to replace them just cos the fans don''t sing.

Conceding early could be a reasonable excuse if it were an isolated incident however, us fans have been poor all season.

Now I personally don''t think we played that bad in the first half considering the opposition, we had one or two moments but no noise until Redders scored.

Customers nowadays insist on getting the goods before giving a review. In the old days supporters used to encourage their team through thick and thin.

Trouble is the good old supporters are edging toward the blankets.[/quote]

Thing is, in the "old days" people weren''t being fleeced to the tune of £50+ to watch a game. When people are paying so much to go to the football, I don''t think it is unreasonable to expect the very highly paid professionals to be the ones to give us something to cheer about.

The game/world has changed...

---"Thing is, in the "old days" people weren''t being fleeced to the tune of £50+ to watch a game. When people are paying so much to go to the football, I don''t think it is unreasonable to expect the very highly paid professionals to be the ones to give us something to cheer about.

The game/world has changed... "

Could only be the words of a customer. Oh how the game has changed. I don''t remember having customers in the past.

If both sets of fans are fleeced £50 then one set are likely to be less entertained. No matter how well we play our customers aren''t usually happy with a defeat. Should we just hope for entertaining draws.

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]Two things

First why is it always the key board warriors who moan about lack of atmosphere ?

Secondly ,, why don''t they attend and put it right if that is what they think ?

The questions are obviously rhetorical 😳[/quote]Because whingeing about things is far easier than actually taking action?

If Seats 48/49 are still being regularly used by you then surely you must recognise that there is a lack of atmosphere.

I don''t think it matters if someone attends or not to discuss it. The op has made an accurate point. I haven''t heard anyone whingeing.

I think it''s sad that when people don''t accept their own shortfalls. I think as fans we should admit ours.

I''m in the Barclay every week, and I personally do not do enough to change it. I do make some effort but not enough. I don''t think it''s just me that''s causing the silence.

I do know that my hearing has been deteriorating for years but unless I am suffering complete loss on matchdays we are not making much noise.

I would go so far as to say we are the quietest we have ever been in my 35 years of support.

I seriously cannot understand how any regular attendee can disagree, unless they have headphones in.

I can agree with the lack of atmosphere at CR compared to what it used to be like - and that is from a stand point of visiting CR a few times each season over the years (until this season so far).  I''ve complained about it, tried to goad people into a reaction to try and get people to do something about it - because to me the atmosphere at games is one of the reasons to still make the effort and expense to get to CR for someone like me and if it is poor, like the last time I went (Bolton) it makes it harder to consider justifying the expense and time to get there. Away games are better, Wembley being the ultimate away day experience last season, but home matches are less exciting to go to than they used to be (from my stand point).  And for those that keep on saying - you don''t go so you can''t complain about it - my opinion is based on exprience of visting CR over many years.  Living in Norwich I would go regardless, its easy when you live there, but people should at least recognise the atmosphere could be better - and then maybe it might give some impetus to try and improve it.It will take a big effort by the club and fans to improve the atmosphere generally - it won''t happen on it''s own.  Pressure for standing areas, a desire to actually try and make a bit more noise, maybe a Gareth type to come and teach the crowd how to sing OTBC properly........ 

[quote user="Ginja"]When you concede a sloppy goal inside the first minute it''s hardly surprising if the crowd are muted somewhat, the team responded though and so did the crowd. Ultimately if the atmosphere is flat then it''s because the football on the pitch is flat, I appreciate the idea that we need to do our bit and lift the team but they have to show us something to work with.[/quote]^^^Pretty much this.All things considered, the atmosphere was decent.

Place really got going second half, "AN yellow army" good to hear that going when things are as they are.

Sometimes you only get the atmosphere when your in the ground, fun that!

Should we all make a special effort for you know who at the next game, rhetorical question.

Oh dear Lakey. You really need to try much harder not to be a pillock.

Well done Seats 48/49, that''s the closest you could get to offending me, but even being accused of being a scummer isn''t going to hurt, I''ve left school. That standard comeback on here makes me laugh every time I see it. It''s so clever how it can be put in many different ways, gets me every time, never tire of it.

Anyway two seats, how do you see it?

Do you still go?

Are we as noisy now as we have been?

Have you not been going very long and this is all you know?

Supporter or customer?

How good are us fans?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ginja"]When you concede a sloppy goal inside the first minute it''s hardly surprising if the crowd are muted somewhat, the team responded though and so did the crowd. Ultimately if the atmosphere is flat then it''s because the football on the pitch is flat, I appreciate the idea that we need to do our bit and lift the team but they have to show us something to work with.[/quote]^^^Pretty much this.All things considered, the atmosphere was decent.[/quote]

Ok morty, we all know you are definitely only a customer, would you have any idea of what atmosphere would be like from a supporters viewpoint. Have you ever been a supporter at another club?

I thought the atmosphere in the second half on Tuesday was pretty good.  It was inevitable that everyone was a bit stunned by conceding in the first thirty seconds and then the shambolic period that followed, before the team finally settled down.In general terms, the club really needs to expand the ground and get more young fans coming through the gates.

I''d agree with Pyro above. The players worked and tried hard in the 2nd half, and the crowd responded.I''d also argue the place was flat in the first half between the 1st goal, and the alleged back-pass. After that incident - and subsequent no-offside call, I''d argue that there was a lot of noise, albeit aimed at the 3 See You Next Tuesday''s in the black socks.All in all, I''ve been to a lot quieter games this season.