Sign in to follow this  
 Green and Yellow

1 point from the last 24

Well 93v, to help me decide who to point my finger at could you clarify for what I should be pointing my finger?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well 93v, to help me decide who to point my finger at could you clarify for what I should be pointing my finger?[/quote]It depends on your own point of view.

Ah I see we are back to that old nonsense as we were when Hughton was manager. Whereby some think that if you criticise the manager or ask for change that the only way that you can do that is if you also name a list of possible replacements!

The "well who is better" ''arguement'' is utterly stupid. Do people actually think how silly that sounds or how silly it indeed is, before they say or post it?

Spot on Norfolkbroadslim.

None of us on here had heard of AN before he was appointed. It''s the boards job to have views on any number of possible replacements - all sorts of scenarios could arise which would require a new manager so they have to be prepared for that.

As a simple fan you don''t need to be able to name a replacement to come to the view that a change is needed to give us a better chance of staying up.

One point out from a quarter of the season. Have a think about that for a bit! That is a staggering level of under achievement, way worse than VIlla. I''ll probably be called crazy again by Seat D7 but in my opinion the manager should have gone games ago.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Ah I see we are back to that old nonsense as we were when Hughton was manager. Whereby some think that if you criticise the manager or ask for change that the only way that you can do that is if you also name a list of possible replacements!

The "well who is better" ''arguement'' is utterly stupid. Do people actually think how silly that sounds or how silly it indeed is, before they say or post it?[/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/10984272_846246542098539_5000277032591529162_n_zpsz8szsxt8.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/10984272_846246542098539_5000277032591529162_n_zpsz8szsxt8.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Morty, in this situation, do you really believe that or are you just trolling?[/quote]Yes, I do believe it.Changing the manager would be just plain stupid.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Lol, so you really do believe that in this situation complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is just whining!

Oh dear!!![/quote]Who is your suggestion for the new manager?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Morty, in this situation, do you really believe that or are you just trolling?[/quote]Yes, I do believe it.Changing the manager would be just plain stupid. [/quote]

Why would changing the manager "be just plain stupid"?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Surprise, surprise, Mortimer in hook, line and sinker shocker![/quote]Who is your suggestion for our new manager?Or you just whining?

I have stuff to do NBS, I shall check back later and review your list of candidates[Y]

It''s a ''Results'' business......and, we just aren''t getting those ''Results''.......

It starts from the very top......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]It''s a ''Results'' business......and, we just aren''t getting those ''Results''.......

It starts from the very top......[/quote]

God OUT!

[quote user="jb"][quote user="Mello Yello"]It''s a ''Results'' business......and, we just aren''t getting those ''Results''.......

It starts from the very top......[/quote]

God OUT![/quote]

I''m agnostic......

In all seriousness, yes it is the board''s responsibility to ''succession plan'' for the next manager. I''m sure they are constantly monitoring the managerial landscape in case Neil walks out, gets poached, irretrievably loses the dressing room and so on. My guess is that the embarrassment surrounding the permanent appointment of Adams after ''scouring Europe'' strengthened their resolve to stay on top of it, hence the swift appointment of the largely unknown (yet clearly very capable) Alex Neil.On the dichotomy between ''rolling the dice'' every six weeks like Leeds at one end, and sticking blindly and blithely to a manager at the other (Benitez at Liverpool springs to mind), the board have to decide where they want to sit. If Neil was an experienced manager then I think they''d be seriously considering his position now, but when you appoint a 33-year-old unknown you know full well what you''re letting yourself in for. We have a passionate, charismatic, talented young manager who is having his first experience of prolonged failure. In my view, we have to let him figure his own way out of it, even if that means sticking with him through the summer if we get relegated, and giving him a proper tilt at coming straight back up.No fans enjoy runs of form like this, but it''s not like we''re getting humped and playing like cack every single week, and it''s not like the players look like they don''t want to play for him. Young managers in this situation will be accused of either making too many changes (thus not allowing a settled side to develop), or sticking with the same players (they''re clearly not performing, so why won''t he give someone else a chance?).Last season, he stuck with the 4-2-3-1 in every single game (except Brentford at home when he was missing three CMs through injury). This season, once that stopped working, he has tried to experiment a bit – wing backs has been pretty successful, and 4-5-1 (4-3-3 when attacking) less so. At least if the worst happens, we''re not going down with a miserable, defensive whimper like under you-know-who-ton. I trust that the board are wise enough not to succumb to a knee-jerk reaction caused by a couple more defeats or supporter unrest. As I''ve said elsewhere, if we''re in mid-table doldrums in the Championship come Christmas then maybe it''s time to cut our losses. Until then, get behind Alex Neil – we''re never going to attract a Rogers or a Moyes, but in time Neil may become a manager of that calibre or better.

Alex Neil isn''t going anywhere. McNally said explicitly in that recent interview he wanted AN as manager for many years to come.

However, he has also said we should have a 38,000 seater stadium and are aiming for playing Champions League football. So maybe he''s just imagining being the CEO of Leicester City.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]In all seriousness, yes it is the board''s responsibility to ''succession plan'' for the next manager. I''m sure they are constantly monitoring the managerial landscape in case Neil walks out, gets poached, irretrievably loses the dressing room and so on. My guess is that the embarrassment surrounding the permanent appointment of Adams after ''scouring Europe'' strengthened their resolve to stay on top of it, hence the swift appointment of the largely unknown (yet clearly very capable) Alex Neil.

On the dichotomy between ''rolling the dice'' every six weeks like Leeds at one end, and sticking blindly and blithely to a manager at the other (Benitez at Liverpool springs to mind), the board have to decide where they want to sit. If Neil was an experienced manager then I think they''d be seriously considering his position now, but when you appoint a 33-year-old unknown you know full well what you''re letting yourself in for. We have a passionate, charismatic, talented young manager who is having his first experience of prolonged failure. In my view, we have to let him figure his own way out of it, even if that means sticking with him through the summer if we get relegated, and giving him a proper tilt at coming straight back up.

No fans enjoy runs of form like this, but it''s not like we''re getting humped and playing like cack every single week, and it''s not like the players look like they don''t want to play for him. Young managers in this situation will be accused of either making too many changes (thus not allowing a settled side to develop), or sticking with the same players (they''re clearly not performing, so why won''t he give someone else a chance?).

Last season, he stuck with the 4-2-3-1 in every single game (except Brentford at home when he was missing three CMs through injury). This season, once that stopped working, he has tried to experiment a bit – wing backs has been pretty successful, and 4-5-1 (4-3-3 when attacking) less so. At least if the worst happens, we''re not going down with a miserable, defensive whimper like under you-know-who-ton. I trust that the board are wise enough not to succumb to a knee-jerk reaction caused by a couple more defeats or supporter unrest. As I''ve said elsewhere, if we''re in mid-table doldrums in the Championship come Christmas then maybe it''s time to cut our losses. Until then, get behind Alex Neil – we''re never going to attract a Rogers or a Moyes, but in time Neil may become a manager of that calibre or better.
[/quote]

A well-reasoned post.  I think the recent break was the time to make a change, if we were going to.  After the experience of sacking Hughton too late, I think the Board have decided to stick with AN.  Either he turns things around, or things continue to go badly in which case it''s too late to change him - unless we are getting in place a manager for next season.  My view is that it is better to stick with AN now, through into next season, in the Championship if necessary.

1 point from 24 is a truly shocking return. Any other club in the league and several in the league below would part with the manager on that return. I''d be very disappointed to see the board act and sack him as I''d like the club to stick with him, but if they did I could understand why. The rot simply has to stop as this form is free falling into relegation without a doubt.

It''s a bit clearer now who''s in the mix to go down with Villa: two from Newcastle, Sunderland and us. It''s not set in stone, but seems to me to be highly probable.The bad news for those who think we''d easily yo-yo back up is that two of the teams going down will probably be big clubs who are more than likely to be pressing for the automatic places. That''s not even mentioning the fact that the Championship seems to many to be getting more competitive.Last year we largely put off rebuilding our defence and buying younger players in favour of going

all out for promotion, so relegation this year would be harder in this sense as past neglect and short-sightedness catches up with us.It''s fine to stick with Alex Neil, but for the reasons above he''s going to have his work cut out next season if we get relegated. I fear he''ll be at greater risk of becoming a casualty of the failures of others, especially as fans expect promotion and fail to recognise some of our underlying problems.Bottom line: prepare for more than one season in the Championship if we get relegated. And despite what McNally has said, don''t put your life savings on Alex Neil being safe from the sack in such a scenario.

Although the gap between the top and bottom of the PL is getting bigger, it''s still a very fine line between staying up and going down. We play some really good football at times and apart from a couple of collapses we''ve been in with a chance in most games. It''s just lapses of concentration at the back and not taking chances up front that make the difference and that''s down to the quality of player and not the way the manager has set up the team.
Obviously those calling for AN to go believe that we could get a replacement who would have a better chance of keeping us up, but I don''t see any evidence for that. We should only sack the manager if the players aren''t performing for him, but the last 2 defeats the performances have been good relatively speaking, so I don''t see how a new manager could improve things. David Moyes or whoever else isn''t going to magically make Jerome a better finisher or Russ less error prone.
The root of the problem is the financial position of the club and anyone who listened to the recent McNally interview should know that. The reality is we don''t have the money to compete with even Bournemouth or Watford, let alone the more established PL sides, so we shouldn''t expect to be anything more than a yo-yo club. It''s not only about money for fees or wages - players and agents know we don''t have the ability to stay in this league long term and that limits who we can attract even further.
We need to punch above our weight to even stay in the PL and if AN manages that then he deserves huge praise, but if he doesn''t it shouldn''t come as a shock and doesn''t mean he''s not still a good manager.

As long as we continually attract loyal, devoted and accepting 22,000 + support - regardless of which league we reside in.......''What''s the problem?''.......No protests, no negative chanting, no up and out of the stadium on 74 minutes - and certainly no pressure from the media or press.....

.....Concourse food outlet sales will remain roughly the same, club shops sales of merchandise and ticket sales will largely remain unaffected......Away support numbers may dip but there''s more home games.....No Abby Dabby but closer climes are just as fruitful.....

But hey, from a large supermarket to a Tesco Express, higher paid employees will depart and new employees of somewhat slightly inferior quality but grateful to prove and earn a wedge will be recruited ......Still functioning, majority of customers happy, and all is well.......and there still remains firmly in place, the Carra Dynasty......

All is well that is, apart from that luverlee TV Munny!

Still we''re astute and thrifty.......and we''ll get by......Won''t we?

Vintage ''93 wrote,

"The bad news for those who think we''d easily yo-yo back up is that two of the teams going down will probably be big clubs who are more than likely to be pressing for the automatic places. That''s not even mentioning the fact that the Championship seems to many to be getting more competitive."

I''d argue that Villa won''t be in much of a position to launch a challenge next season as they''re in a mess on and off the field, I would concede that either Sunderland or Newcastle would be pretty firm favourites to walk the league.

As for us, we need to look at Hull and how they have kept most of their squad together after relegation in order to challenge again. Further comfort should be gained from the fact that Burnley are too around the top two places.