Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

Relegated? Probably. Down? No Way.

A good read from The Peoples Blogger. [Y]Ever considered ringing Canary Call Duncan as that seems the logical progression ? [;)]

Sums it up well.  The last two performances in particular were stirring and inspiring stuff, despite the results. Carry that through to the end of the season and if we go down, we go down fighting.  But who knows, if we fight like that, there is still everything to play for.

Personally , I have felt all season that this year was more of a reflection of the " Worthingtin" forray into the top tier .

I also feel that going back down will be of a similar experience , ( no immediate return) which is a regret because the teams around us have rarely looked better on the pitch than us on a good day , and we are in the position we are because of management failings , including the board , rather than outright footballing ones . This is not something I see changing ,, I am sure that Ricardo would have some sobering words on this subject .

How the table stands on Saturday night will more or less point the way as to hope or dead and buried. I agree with some of the sentiments, they have in the main given it a good go but i do feel we could/should have been half a dozen points better then we are which will make all the difference come the day of reckoning. As to the longer term future who knows. We will be well placed to bounce back as to if we do or not depends how much our Board do or do not manage to hit the self destruct button

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]How the table stands on Saturday night will more or less point the way as to hope or dead and buried. I agree with some of the sentiments, they have in the main given it a good go but i do feel we could/should have been half a dozen points better then we are which will make all the difference come the day of reckoning. As to the longer term future who knows. We will be well placed to bounce back as to if we do or not depends how much our Board do or do not manage to hit the self destruct button[/quote]

Every other team in the bottom half can probably also point to the "unlucky" or "bad refereeing" incidents and the games where they should have got more points.

We are where we are because we''ve not been good enough.

Assuming we keep most of the squad intact like last time we should make top 6 again. Mbokani and Bamford will go back to their parent clubs but I can only see Redmond, Brady and

Naismith moving on. Add the Murphy''s, Toffolo, Foster, Maddison etc and we''ll be as good as anyone in the Champs.

Nice opinion piece.

With regard to your comment that "there’s barely a murmur of discontent", I think one element to factor in is the sense of loyalty supporters and probably the Board still feel towards AN. He took us up when things were going off the rails and even though we look destined to go down, the general feeling seems to be he''s the best person to take us back up again. Hughton was in charge in different circumstances, when expectations were much higher. And as you say, performances right now aren''t universally terrible - not yet anyway!

I agree with much of the blog except there is a fair bit of discontent, but it''s limited because most people can see the players are at least have a full on go for it. Under Hughton it was the abysmal approach, setting out to defend a point away from home and carrying on when we conceded a goal, etc that caused people to give up on him. With AN yes there are mistakes but at least you can see he''s trying.

That was a great read Duncan, one of your best ones to date, I share your feelings, but couldn''t have put hem so eloquently as you did