Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Mbokani

I like Mbokani. I understand the stick he gets, and he''s not a prolific goal scorer (it''s just not the type of striker he is). I don''t nec. get the "he''s not a worker" thing, but hey that''s alright. If the guy managed to score 7 goals from play (esp. in this team, I''d call that basically a miraculous total), pretty sure he''d be able to do that with starting the rest of the year. I mean that''s not good enough at this level (as I said I get the complaints). If Alex doesn''t think he''s good enough, I''m not gonna argue.

Said elsewhere I have no problem with Cameron Jerome on this team, in the PL he is what he is (which we''ve seen repeatedly is a guy who will miss 95% of his clear cut chances). He brings a lot to the field, goals however is not one of those things unless he gets lucky.

The biggest thing that frustrates me with Jerome is that he''s still crafting out chances. He''s doing everything right impart from putting the ball in the back of the net.

Basic finishing is the same at every level, how can a player go from prolific in the Championship to missing sitters in the PL?

I mean if he wasn''t creating the openings I could understand.

[quote user="STAN"]The biggest thing that frustrates me with Jerome is that he''s still crafting out chances. He''s doing everything right impart from putting the ball in the back of the net.

Basic finishing is the same at every level, how can a player go from prolific in the Championship to missing sitters in the PL?

I mean if he wasn''t creating the openings I could understand.[/quote]

It''s in his head that''s the problem, he misses chances at this level that presented with exactly the same chance at championship level he puts away. I fear though after years of the same issue with him, thats not going to change anytime soon.

Zlf, I must be watching a different player.

He''s had one or two indifferent games, but He''s very, very difficult to knock off the ball. One game in particular (Southampton?) he emerged from 3 or 4 opposition players with the ball more than once. He also has the ability to telescope a leg when apparently beaten & knock the ball through to one of our players. He can also stop a ball dead better than anyone else in our team. He hasn''t got Jerome''s pace or mobility though.

However I do think he''s deteriorated lately; possibly his heart isn''t really in it, as he likely won''t be here next season.

Another ''nearly'' player in a ''nearly'' season.

Ron, I think ''nearly'' is a great adjective for our season. Perhaps nearly can turn into ''almost'' in the next 4 games.

yet we always look more likely to score when he plays. he creates for others and his runs pull players out of position to create openings.he''s scored some crackers this season. 2 back heals and is the best header of the ball I''ve seen since Iwan.if he had better Service he''d get 15 goals a season but he can only work with what he has.he''s a massive upgrade on RV, Grabban, Lafferty and Jerome and needs to start tomorrow.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Speaking of Grabban, how many games has the £7m man played so far for Bournemouth?[/quote]never mind that... has our bank manager stopped laughing yet?

I always think we look so much better with pace upfront.  So, do you play a pacey striker who can''t score, as a lone striker, do you drop him and play someone else, do you find a way of playing said pacey striker along with another striker?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]I always think we look so much better with pace upfront.  So, do you play a pacey striker who can''t score, as a lone striker, do you drop him and play someone else, do you find a way of playing said pacey striker along with another striker?[/quote]you do what works...if that means we have no pace up front but a striker who can score then I''d be happy never to see a quick player in the side again!

We do need pace up front though. But if we play with Redmond & Naismith alongside we have that. With Wes supplying the ammunition, that would be ideal for me (first half against Liverpool showed how devastating we can be).

Leaves us a bit light elsewhere though!

[quote user="AJ"]I keep watching Afobe @ B''mouth and think... why didn''t we go for it?[/quote]Doubt if he would have come here - he''s seen what happens to striker who do

To remind you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nplMqYnscq8

Poor first touch Zlf? Can''t head?

I just wish Cameron had his composure in front of goal.

Our strikers have contributed 1 goal in 2016. Mbokani vs Liverpool.

Jerome 3 goals in 27 apps.

Mbokani 5 goals in 20 apps.

So cant see why Bamford shouldn''t get a go.

Mbokani often seems to get put on when we''re chasing the game. I''d start with him, and intoduce someone like Bamford or Jerome in the second half when the Swansea defence is tiring.

So cant see why Bamford shouldn''t get a go.

-----------------------

Too young, doesn''t have enough experience. Can''t hold it up, doesn''t have much pace and isn''t built like a PL footballer.

Ha ok.

He''s 22 hardly a baby in football terms. He''s made 106 professional games. 2 full seasons in the championship. Finished as championship player of the year last year ahead of the likes of Wilson, Afobe, Deeney, Ighalo etc. You don''t have to be 6ft 5 and a big unit to hold the ball up.

Can''t believe your writing him off after 40 mins of playing for us. 35 mins vs Villa a game in which we got our tactics horribly wrong. And have changed our tactics since then. And coming on for 3 minutes vs Leicester.

I think if you had read my post you''d see that I hadn''t written him off after 40 mins. That was the point of the post.

I guess we''ll see how he does next season and revisit this thread.