Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

If we lose at Swansea

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2016-03-04 7:07 PM:

If we lose to Swansea, all it means is there is one less team at the bottom to get ahead of, as they will draw clear. Our survival almost certainly boils down to our matches against Sunderland and Newcastle anyway, so although beating Swansea would be great for our cause, in the scheme of the season, there are other fish to fry and sufficient points available elswhere not to get too hung up about Swansea. If we can''t win, a draw would actually be a useful result.

Absolute hogwash. It''s about the here and now, and the next game, as AN himself says, is Swansea, which we need to win. It simply is NO good whatsoever in forecasting or suggesting that our destiny lies in the results against Newcastle or Sunderland. They could both be clear, well clear, of those relegation places by the time we play them. Unlikely, but quite possible. The most important game is the next game. Getting those points first is the priority.

And then Morty reverts to type with the comment about a time machine to highlight what I was saying about ridicule!

You say about cold hard cash, so how did we get Naismith then? There are actually players who are not cash driven, a very famous Canary legend springs to mind, and its maybe more about the whole package we offer than just cold hard cash but thats just an opinion I have thats all

[quote user="Baldyboy"]I really couldnt give a toss in all honesty Nutty what you think as sadly you are one of the first to have a go at people who dont say positive stuff. There is a lot more I could say that I dont like at the moment, particularly about the manager but I dont see the point really as I would no doubt be accused of being a binner or suchlike.

I have had differences with Morty in the past but he does actually talk sense when its about the football a lot of the time, whereas you Nutty just like to slag people off for having an opinion which maybe negative at times, if you stuck to football maybe people would take you more seriously.[/quote]

I''ve never known you discuss football Baldy. All I''ve ever seen from you is strops and rants. Shall we compare posts about football?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]And then Morty reverts to type with the comment about a time machine to highlight what I was saying about ridicule!

You say about cold hard cash, so how did we get Naismith then? There are actually players who are not cash driven, a very famous Canary legend springs to mind, and its maybe more about the whole package we offer than just cold hard cash but thats just an opinion I have thats all[/quote]I would have loved us to spent better last summer, but we didn''t, did we? And nothing will change that now, will it?Do I think they just couldn''t be bothered to spend the money, or somehow just wing it? No I don''t. Do I think we actually had the money to deliver the season a lot of fans hoped to see? No I don''t. Do I see using it as a stick to beat the club with as in any way productive? No I don''t.We are where we are, the poor relations in the league. Yes, you could say Huckerby was an exception, but I assure you, he didn''t come here and play for buttons!So what part of the package is lacking other than the wages we can offer?

We need 5 wins and it does not matter where they come from. That said difficult though the Swansea game will be it presents us with one of our better away opportunities to get points on the board. many similar games over the last couple of months have seen us disappoint. If we lose then the trap door gets even more closer and it will firmly be 3 teams from 4 and probably will be anyway.

we are a cat that has lost probably 7 lives so little further room for mishap

One moment everyone is saying Bournemouth are now safe (who are 8 points ahead of us) and the next we need 5 or 6 wins, I just don''t get it !  

Yes, we may need 5 wins but having only won 6 all season this is extremely unlikely to happen but who knows what will happen in football?

Morty, you said about beating the club with a stick isnt good and whilst it may not be this comes back to what I said about learning from mistakes, I say this because whatever League we are in next season we need at least two strikers. So surely these will be identified and signed at the earliest opportunity instead of dilly dallying this Summer

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Yes, we may need 5 wins but having only won 6 all season this is extremely unlikely to happen but who knows what will happen in football?

Morty, you said about beating the club with a stick isnt good and whilst it may not be this comes back to what I said about learning from mistakes, I say this because whatever League we are in next season we need at least two strikers. So surely these will be identified and signed at the earliest opportunity instead of dilly dallying this Summer[/quote]Or we may not need as many as 5. I would rather just wait and see, theres practically quarter of the season left, plenty of points to play for.Do you think that the performances, in the last two games, have been much better?See, I don''t entirely buy this "learning from previous mistakes" thing. I doubt McNally was sat with his feet up on his desk thinking "Yeah I really must get round to that buying players thing soon".Two contributing factors definitely are, firstly, our season being extended, due to the play offs, nothing could really be put in place until we knew what division we were going to be in. And, secondly, the fact that I previously mentioned, money. Both sides that came up with us had far more money to spend than we did, so literally every single Premiership club was in a stronger financial position. Neither of those things I have just mentioned are really mistakes that we should have learned from, are they? Or do you see it differently?

I think the big mistake last summer was not getting in a quality CB (or at least an upgrade on our current players there).  It sounds to me like we ended up pursuing over-optimistic targets and only tried to get more realistic ones too late in the window to get them through.  None of us can be sure what actually happened, but that''s my take from what has come out.  And I think it was obvious at the start of the window it was the biggest area of weakness in our squad and should have been top priority, but it seems to me it wasn''t.

If we''d had a decent CB from the start with time to bed in, adapt to the PL assuming he was from abroad, and get the defence organized, I think we''d be where Bournemouth are.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Baldyboy"]And then Morty reverts to type with the comment about a time machine to highlight what I was saying about ridicule!

You say about cold hard cash, so how did we get Naismith then? There are actually players who are not cash driven, a very famous Canary legend springs to mind, and its maybe more about the whole package we offer than just cold hard cash but thats just an opinion I have thats all[/quote]I would have loved us to spent better last summer, but we didn''t, did we? And nothing will change that now, will it?Do I think they just couldn''t be bothered to spend the money, or somehow just wing it? No I don''t. Do I think we actually had the money to deliver the season a lot of fans hoped to see? No I don''t. Do I see using it as a stick to beat the club with as in any way productive? No I don''t.We are where we are, the poor relations in the league. Yes, you could say Huckerby was an exception, but I assure you, he didn''t come here and play for buttons!So what part of the package is lacking other than the wages we can offer?[/quote]

Morty,

In answer to your question, I put forward a couple of ''thoughts'';

1) The maner in which the negotiations are conducted, whether it be with them personally or their agents

2) The manner in which they have heard other ex or existing squad members have been treated.

Morty, would you go to work for an organisation (A) when you have heard ''unpleasant'' things about their senior management or have found organisation (A) very difficult to deal with throughout your interview process, particularly when you have heard that organisation (B) has a history of treating its employees fairly? Especially when organisation (B) is of similar stature and are offering you the same remuneration, let alone an enhanced one?

Just a thoughts, seeing as you asked.

[quote user="Ray"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Baldyboy"]And then Morty reverts to type with the comment about a time machine to highlight what I was saying about ridicule!

You say about cold hard cash, so how did we get Naismith then? There are actually players who are not cash driven, a very famous Canary legend springs to mind, and its maybe more about the whole package we offer than just cold hard cash but thats just an opinion I have thats all[/quote]I would have loved us to spent better last summer, but we didn''t, did we? And nothing will change that now, will it?Do I think they just couldn''t be bothered to spend the money, or somehow just wing it? No I don''t. Do I think we actually had the money to deliver the season a lot of fans hoped to see? No I don''t. Do I see using it as a stick to beat the club with as in any way productive? No I don''t.We are where we are, the poor relations in the league. Yes, you could say Huckerby was an exception, but I assure you, he didn''t come here and play for buttons!So what part of the package is lacking other than the wages we can offer?[/quote]

Morty,

In answer to your question, I put forward a couple of ''thoughts'';

1) The maner in which the negotiations are conducted, whether it be with them personally or their agents

2) The manner in which they have heard other ex or existing squad members have been treated.

Morty, would you go to work for an organisation (A) when you have heard ''unpleasant'' things about their senior management or have found organisation (A) very difficult to deal with throughout your interview process, particularly when you have heard that organisation (B) has a history of treating its employees fairly? Especially when organisation (B) is of similar stature and are offering you the same remuneration, let alone an enhanced one?

Just a thoughts, seeing as you asked.[/quote]Hmmmmm[Y]

Not so much recently ICF. But I''ve sensed we have had worse results than our performances have merited. It''s been so frustrating. Yet, It''s less intuitional these days. It worked for the Boro match. ....I did love that Wembley final and wondered deep down when talking to over confident Boro fans at the hotel before the match that we would do them over. We did.

Could I see a win at Swansea, yes, a potential morale boosting home win against Man City?.....yes and then we have a good away record at West Brom and Newcastle at home is the real big one of course. I don''t feel as negative as in the Hughton era. Yet we seem to have a relegation look to us by losing near the end of the 90 minutes. I figure we may be due some luck soon

[quote user="ItsCharacterForming"][quote user="Alex "]If we lose at Swansea?... We won''t lose at Swansea. Wait and see 👍[/quote]

Hope you''re right Alex![/quote]

The lads won''t let any of us down tomorrow, Bob!. We could do with some ''luck'' but recent performances do give cause for optimism. Keep that spirit and effort up and we''ll make our own luck. Genuinely believe one win is all we need to get the monkey off our back - and I 110% believe that''ll happen tomorrow 👍

(Hope you keeping well btw fella 😀)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Indeed M, things are not going poorly for the club, the danger I suppose is that they could be. The last time we went down we managed to keep (basically) all the players and go straight back up again, yet if we were to dismantle our squad if we do get relegated then things could look very bad indeed; I would be very dissatisfied if i was a Fulham or Cardiff supporter.[/quote]The problem is that we''re going to need to replace many of our core players over the next couple of years, and if we get relegated then the shopping list grows even longer as the ''hired hand'' types depart.Keeping the squad together is all very well, but not at the expense of our ability to replenish it. We don''t want to get in a situation where we gamble on getting promoted and fail, because we will then inevitably see the quality of our buys nosedive (this more or less happened after our relegation in 2005).

Morty, do you workin PR by any chànce as you always try to defend the club? Do you not think they ever make mistakes they should learn from but they fail to do so?

Also, you say the play offs made it more difficult to get players? Surely thats where a good scouting network comes in along with good negotiation skills too, after all players can agree deals early when their contracts are coming to an end cant they?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Morty, do you workin PR by any chànce as you always try to defend the club? Do you not think they ever make mistakes they should learn from but they fail to do so?

Also, you say the play offs made it more difficult to get players? Surely thats where a good scouting network comes in along with good negotiation skills too, after all players can agree deals early when their contracts are coming to an end cant they?[/quote]I am a generally positive person in life. And you pick your team, and thats it. Its like marriage, its for better or for worse.All routes back to the money, not sure why you''re not seeing that. Theres only so many lower league gems you can get lucky on, and you can guarantee if our scouts are watching any, clubs with far better resources are too.

Being honest, if I was a decent standard PL player (or an up & coming one seen as having a lot of potential), Norwich would be the last club I''d want to join.

Not rich, no kudos, no excitement. Fair chance of relegation.

We''ll get the occasional Huckerby or Ashton (an unusually mature young footballer), but basically they''re going to be either second choice players or a gamble.

How many of Lambert''s squad went on to greater things? How many of our present squad would be snapped up by other PL teams?

It''s always going to be difficult. We need character & an exceptional manager to succeed. I believe Neil has the potential to be that manager.

That''s the reality. Deal with it, or go support another club.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Being honest, if I was a decent standard PL player (or an up & coming one seen as having a lot of potential), Norwich would be the last club I''d want to join.

Not rich, no kudos, no excitement. Fair chance of relegation.

We''ll get the occasional Huckerby or Ashton (an unusually mature young footballer), but basically they''re going to be either second choice players or a gamble.

How many of Lambert''s squad went on to greater things? How many of our present squad would be snapped up by other PL teams?

It''s always going to be difficult. We need character & an exceptional manager to succeed. I believe Neil has the potential to be that manager.

That''s the reality. Deal with it, or go support another club.[/quote][Y][Y][Y]

------ "And you pick your team, and thats it. Its like marriage, its for better or for worse."-----

I don''t know many to change their team, I know effin loads who haven''t stayed married.

[quote user="The gut"]------ "And you pick your team, and thats it. Its like marriage, its for better or for worse."-----

I don''t know many to change their team, I know effin loads who haven''t stayed married.[/quote]Great stuff[Y]

[quote user="The gut"]great stuff??????[/quote]You knew what I meant, you''re just being a knob, aren''t you?

Well I thought I was making a reasonable comment.

I''ve got absolutely no idea how "great stuff" follows the comment.

I''ve got the impression you''re a bit obsessed with knobs.

[quote user="The gut"]Well I thought I was making a reasonable comment.

I''ve got absolutely no idea how "great stuff" follows the comment.

I''ve got the impression you''re a bit obsessed with knobs.[/quote]Great stuff[Y]