Sign in to follow this  
Suffolk7

Slight Positive?

Now, like everyone else I am devastated with today''s performance more so than the result. We offered nothing, and the players didn''t even come close to hitting their level. I''m also really disappointed at the chance of an impending relegation, however.........

IF we were to be relegated, we would stand a very good chance of a very good season next year in the Championship. I personally quite enjoy the Championship, yes we do not live the lavish lifestyle or enjoy the pots of money the premiership has to offer, but then again we may not have to suffer some of the downsides to those riches like some of the overpaid, overhyped ballers that litter the league. Another thing I enjoy about the championship is the evening matches under lights, the 3pm Saturday kick off''s and of course being one of the first teams on the highlight shows. But most of all it gives us the chance to finally see some of that young talent that other clubs are currently enjoying. The thought of the Murphy boys whizzing down the flanks with a new energy and desire excites me, might we finally see more of Ryan Bennett at the heart of our defence, our new signing from Coventry, maybe even Morris? Our team is desperate for some youthful no fear and energy. And combined with the experience of Howson, Jerome and the ability of Brady (he won''t leave, we won''t allow it) and the leadership of Klose, we could have a cracking season. As a season ticket holder I love my club, but I want to be entertained, and yes of course I would much rather that be in the Premiership, but if that isn''t a serious possibility, then I''d rather watch an exciting championship season with some homegrown talent, than a premiership season where we think we''ve done well to get to HT having not conceded!

It''s just a thought, and a relisation that maybe, just maybe football doesn''t have to be all about the EPL.

Anyone who is a true fan, despite being disappointed with relegation, will still be going to games and following their team next season, regardless.

With every successful campaign in the championship, brings the premier league. We got promoted , which was fantastic but we haven''t adapted at all. The club remains starstruck that we are dining with the big boys again.

[quote user="shaunieboy77"]With every successful campaign in the championship, brings the premier league. We got promoted , which was fantastic but we haven''t adapted at all. The club remains starstruck that we are dining with the big boys again.[/quote]Starstruck?Lol, okay[Y]

Of course football isn''t all about the PL. But the championship is only an exciting league because of the premier league.

I disagree (respectfully) that''s like saying the premier league is only exciting because of the champions league, or league 1 is only exciting because of the championship. Football can be as exciting or as entertaining as any club or team makes it, at any level of the game. Otherwise what''s the point?

The Championship can be a slog. And plenty of big teams struggle to get promoted out of it.

And at the moment we don''t look like a club that will bounce back. Clearly things aren''t right. Not just from a tactical point of view but there isn''t a togetherness.

That''s hard to recover when you are on the downward spiral that we are on.

I can''t disagree with your points, however, we are no worse off now in terms of where the team and club are at than we were under CH when we went down before. And we managed it last season?

But we changed manager. People were glad to get rid of Hughton so it allowed a fresh start - even if Neil Adams wasn''t up to the job.

If AN stays on I would not particularly fancy us to get back up.

Can we just remember that it hasn''t happened yet?Unbelievably we are only one point from safety!

Fair comment, Morty.

But I do think we need some changes. We''ve lost our direction, our identity. Last season, through luck or judgement, AN found something that worked and stuck by it.

Now we''re all over the place and it doesn''t seem like he can steady the ship.

[quote user="GJP"]Fair comment, Morty.

But I do think we need some changes. We''ve lost our direction, our identity. Last season, through luck or judgement, AN found something that worked and stuck by it.

Now we''re all over the place and it doesn''t seem like he can steady the ship.[/quote]I thought he had found his best formation with the back 5 employed in recent games, and was very surprised he changed it today. But it all went to hell for me when we lost Brady.I thought the last few games / performances (before today) looked a lot better.

I will add that, despite a lot of people questioning him, McNally is no mug, and if him and the board genuinely thought Alex was making a complete clueless hash out of this, I think we would have known about it by now.Sorry to people calling for head on stick, I reckon he''s here till the end of the season, at least.

I would expect him to be here until the end of the season, maybe beyond.

But I''m afraid he just ain''t as good as we hoped he would be.

[quote user="GJP"]I would expect him to be here until the end of the season, maybe beyond.

But I''m afraid he just ain''t as good as we hoped he would be.[/quote]Possibly not.So many other factors though, and I know its gone on about a lot, but we are the poorest side in the Premiership. Watford and Bournemouth had a lot more to spend than us, which greatly increased our chances of having one of the relegation slots. Its frankly a spot of luck that established sides Newcastle, Villa and Sunderland are so poorly run that they are down there too, otherwise we could be where Villa are.

People on here (GJP perhaps) seem so quickly to forget he''s a young manager, potentially talented manager. Look how quickly he changed Hamilton. Look at the miracles he performed last season for us.

The Premiership is brutal (& we''ve had more than our showing of poor officials to help). He hasn''t had much time to learn, and I feel our Board didn''t help as we failed to get the right players in at the start.

If, and that''s still an if, as we''re only one place, one point from safety, we get relegated, he has the summer to rebuild, and start a new season afresh. I think he''d still be the man for the job. IMO I wouldn''t want the shambles of Adams all over again. And what if a replacement does no better. No guarantees.

We all want success, and being an NCFC supported has more downs than ups, but lets try and stick with the team and the manager. One more season an AN may well have developed beyond the massive learning curve the Premiership requires. It isn''t AN''s fault that we''ve lacked goals, and it''s a cardinal sin to not secure goalscoring strikers. In that area this club has failed yet again and appears not to have learned it''s lesson.

[quote user="Samwam27"] It isn''t AN''s fault that we''ve lacked goals[/quote]

But it is his fault that he perseveres with Jerome when it doesn''t look as if he''s got a goal in him.

We got Bamford in but he''s being treated the same as he was at CP. Give him a go.

We''ve got Naismith being played in a position where Everton supporters say that he couldn''t play in.

We''ve got Brady a midfielder playing as left back.

Why should Redmond have to defend so much? He''s cr@p at it!! He''s our fastest player, have him loitering further up waiting for that quick breakaway.

But the money we have had we haven''t spent well which is also a key factor. Personally from what I''ve seen of Naismith he hasn''t improved us like a 8/9million pound player should. Ok it''s a bit harsh to judge if he''s not fit, but could never really get in the Everton side full time could he. Pinto, Mulumbu and Dorrans haven''t added to the quality of the side (yet) big Dave just isn''t the type of player we ever needed, he knows where the goal is yes, but doesn''t have anywhere near the work rate that is required for a premier league relegation scrap. Wisdom and Bamford we haven''t seen enough of to judge, and as for Jarvis, well there''s a reason he only cost us £2million. So by my rough calculation we''ve blown at least £15 million in loan fees and transfer fees on players that aren''t even in the side. A luxury we do not have. And before people start blaming the scouting team, in McNally''s interview 2 weeks ago, he clearly stated that AN has the final say on all players in and out of the club.

North writes a good point and something I spoke about last night. We have been worried about our performance by January. Which fans do that. I have felt uneasy since then and feeling ourselves threatened with relegation since then. Yes at the start of the season 17th and above was the goal. It felt a long way off in January. Players bought in late and slip ups against clubs we should have got results against have led us to have a hughton blip.

Which is the winning streak over Xmas. Before that and after we had runs of 10+ games without a win. That is not good enough the players look that level and again we have not learnt.

I agree we can still stay up but with many players from that team with hughton you can see why he struggled. As they never developed into better than bottom prem championship players.

I think we have all had enough of the talk in the press they have to get results. Under lambert and hughton we got across the line late on in the prem season, our fixtures soon give us an opportunity before the final 3 games.

But it tells you a lot about our fan base with 4 months to go that we are worried about relegation as we continue to see the same mistakes from years gone past. West ham away, Southampton away, Liverpool and villa away. We need to win these must wins.

I think the annoyance is how AN''s blip this year has been that Xmas period. It has split 20+ games without a win. Not a good record and one that bay deserve relegation. Lucky for him Sunderland and Newcastle are poor and we can stay up.

Bournemouth have not spent a lot more than us though have they. Ok they are backed by a billionaire but the actual amount they have spent is similar to us. Go through their starting 11, our team should be as good as theirs. So for them to be 11 points ahead of us at this point is demoralising to say the least. A comparison between us and them is a fair one.

Samwam, do you really think he worked "miracles" last season?

He did well but it wasn''t like we were a lost cause or started punching above our weight.

Also it really does not matter whether he''s young or old. Plenty of average old managers were young up and comers once upon a time.

[quote user="SplatCat"]Bournemouth have not spent a lot more than us though have they. Ok they are backed by a billionaire but the actual amount they have spent is similar to us. Go through their starting 11, our team should be as good as theirs. So for them to be 11 points ahead of us at this point is demoralising to say the least. A comparison between us and them is a fair one.[/quote]I so wish we were Bournemouth.Didn''t we once wish we were Swansea too?

You''re putting words in my mouth. I don''t want to be Bournemouth or Swansea, I want us to be Norwich. But both clubs have been better than run than us and therefore they will both be in the PL next year. That''s a fair comment. Let''s not justify our current inferiority with lies such as Bournemouth have spent more than us, they haven''t.

[quote user="SplatCat"]You''re putting words in my mouth. I don''t want to be Bournemouth or Swansea, I want us to be Norwich. But both clubs have been better than run than us and therefore they will both be in the PL next year. That''s a fair comment. Let''s not justify our current inferiority with lies such as Bournemouth have spent more than us, they haven''t.[/quote]How much have Bournemouth spent compared to us then?

..... in McNally''s interview 2 weeks ago, he clearly stated that AN has the final say on all players in and out of the club.

Well he would wouldn''t he. Who is responsible for appointing the scouting team, surely the so called Football Board, headed by? Who is the person that conducts the transfer negotiations? Who is the person who ultimately sanctions transfers? Who ''alienated'' Lambert, who then oversaw the appointment of Hughton & Adams and now 1 in 30 AN?

Who has been very qiuet recently, up until the last interview which IMO was self serving?

Oh well, it is March, so there may be some Ides knocking about!!

Look at the players in their squad, look at the players in our squad, think about how much each cost, and you realise there''s not a lot in it. Obviously I don''t know exactly but there''s not much in it. The reason Bournemouth failed FFP was because of their lack of income, not a huge outlay. They''re ahead of us because they''re currently a better team, a better run squad, with a permanent idea about how they want to play, not because of more money spent on individual players.

[quote user="SplatCat"]Look at the players in their squad, look at the players in our squad, think about how much each cost, and you realise there''s not a lot in it. Obviously I don''t know exactly but there''s not much in it. The reason Bournemouth failed FFP was because of their lack of income, not a huge outlay. They''re ahead of us because they''re currently a better team, a better run squad, with a permanent idea about how they want to play, not because of more money spent on individual players.[/quote]Yup[Y]

I agree Splat, Bournemouth are not staying up due to them being backed by a rich owner but because they have looked up for the fight and have stuck by their footballing approach.

[quote user="HertsCanary93"]I agree Splat, Bournemouth are not staying up due to them being backed by a rich owner but because they have looked up for the fight and have stuck by their footballing approach.[/quote]So we''re saying now that money doesn''t make a difference?