Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Wasn't at the game today...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Yes but you''re making it even more difficult to understand with every post whoareyou. If there are well over 40 clubs with wealthier owners than ours. And now we compound that by being useless at everything, how did we manage our recent history? We must be a lot better at something in order to overcome all those disadvantages..[/quote]We are a lot better at some things without a doubt. But we do not have the set up that will make us a consistent Premier League club and I don''t see the current Board ever changing to make it that way. They seem to fall ever deeper into the trap of appointing relatives and friends to the Board when what we really need is someone with a clear vision of how to make this club a Premier League side. I think McNally does his very best but he cannot do it alone.

What things is it then? If the club is run badly and we cannot establish ourselves in the PL what gives us the edge over sooo many wealthier clubs who also can''t establish themselves in the PL?

You never answer an awkward question do you? Do you honestly believe that with our current Board set up we will be a genuine Premier League club year in year out?They punch above their weight but their weight is not enough to make City a Premier League club.

The first time it will/may turn imo is if we lose to Newcastle in early April. The crowd will give him the Manchester city and away game at WBA, but the game would be totally up if we lose to Newcastle unless we have picked up points from the earlier 2 fixtures of course

No, I don''t think we will become a PL team year in year out? I also don''t think we will if we get a new owner and board. There are at least 40 clubs with wealthier owners than us whose fans see their rightful place in the PL. 40 into 20 doesn''t work. What question have I not answered? It''s you refusing to answer. Our board is more successful than many bigger wealthier clubs.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]No, I don''t think we will become a PL team year in year out? I also don''t think we will if we get a new owner and board. There are at least 40 clubs with wealthier owners than us whose fans see their rightful place in the PL. 40 into 20 doesn''t work. What question have I not answered? It''s you refusing to answer. Our board is more successful than many bigger wealthier clubs.[/quote]
That there are wealthier clubs who are performing worse than us isn''t evidence against the assertion that we are not wealthy enough to compete in the PL.
I think it''s a fair question to ask though - why have we done so well if we''re relatively so poor - but it''s not easy to answer and you''d probably have to break it down season by season.
I don''t think anyone is saying spending big is a guarantee of success, or that it''s impossible to punch above your weight, however it seems like it gets harder each year and my feeling is that for whatever reason we didn''t start the season with a strong enough squad to really compete properly.

OK let''s put it this way then. Do you believe that the club can only move forward with the current owners and set up and wouldn''t be in a better position with different owners with another vision?I accept that there are caveats in that and we shouldn''t jump straight in with just anyone but for every Fulham and Cardiff there is also a Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford and Southampton.

Shifting sands whoareyou.

The clubs you mention are there now. They would have been a different set 5 years ago and will be a different set in 5 years time. That''s the reality that I am talking about.

I think it''s clear that the board as a whole have done well then to give us 4 out of 5 seasons in the prem considering our limitations financially.

We could find wealthier new owners but they''ll more than likely lack in other areas where our current board excel.

When we consider that 40 richer clubs than us and we are above 20 of them, I doubt we will end up in any better a situation.

I think the problem is its really easy for fans to shout hey we should get rich new owners and spend the rest of our years challenging for Europe. The problem is its not realistic, it''s just a cheap get out clause for a load of moaners to justify their ridiculous posts when we lose.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think it''s clear that the board as a whole have done well then to give us 4 out of 5 seasons in the prem considering our limitations financially.

We could find wealthier new owners but they''ll more than likely lack in other areas where our current board excel.

When we consider that 40 richer clubs than us and we are above 20 of them, I doubt we will end up in any better a situation.

I think the problem is its really easy for fans to shout hey we should get rich new owners and spend the rest of our years challenging for Europe. The problem is its not realistic, it''s just a cheap get out clause for a load of moaners to justify their ridiculous posts when we lose.[/quote][Y]

I''m not shouting for wealthier owners, just some with a different vision to what we have now. I would never run down what Delia & Co have done in the past but its time to move on to another level.The Premier League has changed a lot in the last 5 years and next season will be its biggest financial change since it started. To be out of that from the start could be very very costly.Last time that happened we spent 10 years in the wilderness.

[quote user="whoareyou"]I''m not shouting for wealthier owners, just some with a different vision to what we have now. I would never run down what Delia & Co have done in the past but its time to move on to another level.The Premier League has changed a lot in the last 5 years and next season will be its biggest financial change since it started. To be out of that from the start could be very very costly.Last time that happened we spent 10 years in the wilderness.[/quote]Does that "other level" require more money?

[quote user="whoareyou"]No the money will already be on that other level from the TV rights. But sadly looks like we wont be part of it.[/quote]Yeah you do know though that even if we are part of it, everyone else gets the same money? In fact the way the money is tiered, if we finish 4th from bottom, we will get less than the rest of the Premiership.Basically all that will happen is transfer fees will inflate and wages will increase. We won''t be any better off.

But the gap between those teams being promoted to the Premier League and those already there will be bigger than ever.Great if you are one of the teams already there...very much less so if you are one of those promoted.

[quote user="whoareyou"]But the gap between those teams being promoted to the Premier League and those already there will be bigger than ever.Great if you are one of the teams already there...very much less so if you are one of those promoted.[/quote]The gap between us and the rest of the Premier league will always be huge though. And we will struggle any time we get promoted. Relegation is bad, however you look at it, this new money deal doesn''t make it any worse, for me. I wonder if the parachute payments also go up?

Whoareyou - The fundamental point you need to consider is that if all 20 clubs in the Premier League were owned by lets say oil rich billionaires, and they all spent megabucks hoovering up the best footballing talent on the planet, under the current arrangements three of those clubs would still get relegated at the end of the season.........